Used 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium quattro SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
2012 Q5 @ 20k Miles - Great SUV
By jolietjay

2012 Audi Q5 SUV 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

We just passed 20k miles on a 2012 2.0T Premium Plus; and just passed the 1 year anniversary of buying this vehicle. Overall this has been a great crossover SUV. Made it through the Chicago Winter and I found myself driving it more than my 2010 4Runner with 4WD. The AWD is great in the snow and on icy roads. The front seats offer a lot of room, and at 6'3" AND 250 lbs.....I fit in this car just fine. Plenty of head room. More head room than most full size SUVs. The back section doesn't offer as much storage space as a full size SUV, but the back seats to fold (almost) flat to make a pretty good sized cargo space. If you need to haul a lot on a long trip, the integrated roof rails

Favorite Features

Engine Response - the 2.0T is remarkable powerful and responsive. Handling - tight handling, good response from the stearing wheel. Very comfortable drive, but at the same time it really grips the road. Refined Interior - great finishes, leather seats, comfort, great sounding sound system. Technology - Sirius/XM Radio, Bluetooth connections to your mobile phone. Sunroom - full panoramic sun roof is great. Gas Mileage - drove 3000 miles on a vacation from Chicago to NC and back.....averaged 25mpg with a roof cargo box and bike rack on the hitch.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing major, but some minor pet peaves. Chrome trim around the outside mirrors reflects off the side windows, slightly annoying. Fog Lights - why have to turn them on every time you get in the car at night, can't you just set them to stay on. Why not match the white light of the Bi-Xenon headlights? Sunroof Shade - it should be a little more solid in fabric to fully block the sun; not entirely a shade. Setting the clock - should be simple, instead you need to navigate the computer interface.....not easy. Go for the upgraded 5 spoke wheels.....the standard wheels are IMPOSSIBLE to keep clean with all the brake dust. Having 12 spokes is a lot of surface to clean.

Q5 is Like an Apple Product
By ccc6588

2012 Audi Q5 SUV 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I have a 2.0 Silver/Black with Moon Roof, Convenience package, Heated Seats and Exhaust Tips. In my area it was very difficult to find the 2.0 so I had to go 70 miles away to get one. I have no regrets. My Q5 feels like an Apple product and every time I am in it, it makes me feel good. It is fun to drive and the interior and exterior are top notch. I have owned 2 BMW sedans previously and also looked at the X3 very hard. I am a type that sticks to what has worked in the past and the 2 BMW's I had were just fine. I had some reservations about Audi's past quality issues. The bottom line for me was the Q5 was superior in everyway like an Apple product.

Favorite Features

I love the driving dynamics. It is very quiet but very fun to drive. I love the moon roof and sun shade. Make sure you get good sunglasses to go with your Q5. I love the interior. It looks and feels luxurious. X3 doesn't even come close. Gas mileage good with approved gasoline (e.g. Exxon). Make sure you use Audi approved retailers. I like the fact that that in my area you don't see the Q5 often. The old truck like BMW X3 are everywhere. So my Q5 turns lots of heads. Rare to see the Q5 in my area.

Suggested Improvements

If you are used to a BMW with the window opener on the right side, be careful. The parking brakes are in the same position. I accidentally pulled on it out of old habit and it does engage. Audi should change this location. Your left knee can hit the light control knobs. Change the location or impossible to click with the knees. Brake dust. Get a product for this at the auto store. Some of the the controls are unintuitive. Follow the Japanese and the Koreans in this area to make things easier or supply a DVD video manual. Audi should consider free maintenance like BMW. This would put them over the top. I bought a maintenance package for $800. I hope to write again at 10K.

One happy driver
By q52011

2012 Audi Q5 SUV 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Love my Q5 premium plus 2.0 turbo! I have owned it for 10 months and would not trade it for another SUV. Mileage is great and the drive is pure comfort. Bluetooth is wonderful if you NEED to talk. I would never get another vehicle without Bluetooth. A colleague is getting Q5 through a dealer swap in approximately 10 days.

Favorite Features

Essentially I like everything but if specifics are needed: Bluetooth, good mileage yet plenty of power in the 2.0 turbo, riding comfort, sunroof, rear camera. The ability to downshift is great when going down hills; it saves the breaks.

Suggested Improvements

Several improvements - I can't lower the rear hatch with a button on the key. So I need to reach up to push the button on the rear hatch to close it. My old mid-90's Dodge van had a button on the key that allowed me to carry groceries and close the trunk will walking away. Also, the round exhaust pipes do nothing for the Q5. I would like nicer looking elongated exhaust pipes on the premium plus, something like those on an Acura SUV that would complement the elongated shape of the tail lights. Offer more color choices. How about some free maintenance to 50,000 miles like other manufactures?

2.0 L is plenty fast
By croot

2012 Audi Q5 SUV 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Very satisfied with our 2012 Q5. I would recommend the smaller engine to anyone. Very quick and plenty fast. Great gas mileage. The 8-speed must help that. My only grip about the engine is sound at idle when you are outside. It is only a sputter that comes out of the exhaust.

Favorite Features

Quality

Suggested Improvements

Audi needs to make a more user friendly entertainment system. Using the stereo, even the HVAC is frustrating. Our other car is an Infinity G37 and the Japanese make these creature comfort controls much easier to use. Hard to imagine that Audi consults with the general buying public before designing these systems.

Q5 2.0 Premium After 12,000 miles
By cheapiam

2012 Audi Q5 SUV 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Amazingly fun to drive. Averaging over 25 mpg in mixed driving with a high of 29 and a low of 23. Transmission is quiet and smooth (unless I drive really hard, you don't even notice the shifts). Virtually no oil loss over my last oil change (7000 plus miles). Get the Audi Care Package as Service Costs are high.

Favorite Features

Handling, Gas Mileage, Interior, Ride, Finish, and Seating for Grown Kids (Adults) in back is much roomier than anticipated. Jealous friends!

Suggested Improvements

Better location for Phone - takes up too much space in glove compartment, Wish the windows could be lowered with remote for those hot days. Can't get used to the brake dust issue. Wish there was a bit more cubby style storage up front as center console is small. SUV convenience with A4 Sport Sedan handling. Just the right combination or comfort without sacrificing performance.