Used 2012 Audi Q5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Q5 model:

Very Sporty, great quality but
By Janette2020

2012 Audi Q5 SUV 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

This 2012 car (Premium) was not even on my radar as I wanted another sporty SUV but they did not have the color and specs I wanted. So my husband and I came across the Audi Q5 and was like no way because of the name, maintenance costs associated and the funky controls but when we test drove it plus the low mileage (off of a lease), I fell in love. I think my husband more so. It was sporty, luxurious (black w/brown leather interior), not too big. I was not crazy about getting a 4cyl coming from a Lexus RX300 6cyl because I like a little pedal power but the sport mode seemed to have enough get up and go. Now that I have had the car almost 9 months I can adequately give an informed review on my first Audi, albeit used and extensive. PROS: It is definitely a sporty, luxurious SUV, love the look of the interior and exterior especially the inside lights at night; nice sound system, great gas mileage, roomy trunk, roof etc. Interior quality is nice and for a 4cyl it has nice power in turbo/sport mode. CONS: I felt like I needed a Ph.D. in Audi. It is not intuitive, e.g. sunroof. Like other reviewers, the multimedia system can be confusing and is disappointing especially the location because although I use the wheel controls I still find myself looking down and that is dangerous. I feel like I'm controlling an aircraft or an ultrasound machine with the rotary dial, push, turn, push turn dial; some of my FM stations don't always come in unless I hit my presets. My 20 yr old son and I cannot believe I have to buy several adapters in order to listen to music on our iphones. Other cars have easier bluetooth hookups than this car. Putting the adapter in the glove box was just idiotic. Radio text should be automatic. The Navigation is old and useless because Audi wants you to buy a cd for updated maps...not. Let's not even talk about the brake dust every two seconds. The backseat is a little tight but even tighter for 3 people as the hump takes up leg room. I am coming up on 30k and the maintenance schedule says to change spark plugs at 35k??? Really? Spark plugs should last 75k-100k!? Overall I love the look and feel of the Q5 but I paid for the name and look. The maintenance costs are too high at Audi. Although I did my research which had many good reviews, but at this price ($35k), I do not think I would ever buy a used 4cyl again (despite turbo) at this price point with so many issues or lack of certain things as stated above. I will keep this car for a few more years and probably give it to my son and hope it lasts 10-15 years like my Lexus but will go back to a 6cyl SUV that is sporty with easier "touch" controls and less issues.

Car of my dreams turns out to be a dud!
By JLM

2012 Audi Q5 SUV 3.2 Premium Plus quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I've wanted this car for 4 years. I finally purchased one after test driving all other vehicles in its class just to be sure. Only 35k miles when I purchased and was a lease return (keep in mind I made sure they put new rotors and break pads on the vehicle when I purchased it). I have owned this car less than one year and put 20k miles on it. I had completed the 45k mile service no problem. Just took it in for the 55k service and was told it needed new brake pads and rotors along with brake fluid flush, oil pressure valve replacement and of course that's on top of the $399 price tag for the 'normal' maintenance at 55k miles. All of that totalling $2,300!! And I haven't even owned the vehicle for a year. I knew that audi's were expensive to fix but did not realize the poor quality of the factory parts such as brake pads and rotors. I'm not a crazy driver and take pride in driving my car gently only occasionally speeding and braking when needed. On a side note the blue tooth is horrible and the navigation is useless. After this experience I have lost faith in Audi. I definitely will not be purchasing one again. I do not feel that this car is worth the price tag...disappointing altogether.

It Makes Me Smile
By optionsf

2012 Audi Q5 SUV 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I have shopped for an SUV for three years, awaiting the Jeep Cherokee, then opting for the AWD Nissan Rogue. When I couldn't get the color and version I wanted on time, I found a 2012 Q5 very lightly used for the same price as these new cars...only12k miles. Today I took it on the infamous run to costco and found myself smiling...when the back gate opens automatically, when I stashed the wine bottles in the compartment under the rug, when I got in and turned on the Bang & Olufsen upgraded sound, and when the turbo kicked in and I shot past another car uphill. The build quality is excellent and this 3 yr old feels tight and solid. After my last Nissan Murano, it feels like a sports car

Panoramic roof, Bang & Olufsen upgraded sound, the fast 2.0 turbo, and the quality of the interior. The cold cup holder was a fun surprise. I love the steering variability, tight and straight on the highway, and very tight and easy turning radius for parking. I really miss a backup camera, but the parking sensors are a good guide. I got 26 mpg on the highway, and about 20 so far in town. I love the details that make it "luxury"...all windows with automatic up/down, and 8way power on the passenger seat for example. Seating is great and beautiful. Especially fond of the hill descent feature, as I live up a steep hill.

iPhone integration and full Bluetooth should be standard. Bluetooth only works for calls without aftermarket device. Seems dumb to leave out a backup cam, these are very useful. So far, not much else to fault, it's amazing engineering.

2.0 L is plenty fast
By croot

2012 Audi Q5 SUV 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Very satisfied with our 2012 Q5. I would recommend the smaller engine to anyone. Very quick and plenty fast. Great gas mileage. The 8-speed must help that. My only grip about the engine is sound at idle when you are outside. It is only a sputter that comes out of the exhaust.

Quality

Audi needs to make a more user friendly entertainment system. Using the stereo, even the HVAC is frustrating. Our other car is an Infinity G37 and the Japanese make these creature comfort controls much easier to use. Hard to imagine that Audi consults with the general buying public before designing these systems.

Nice Car - Horrible service
By kingsman

2012 Audi Q5 SUV 3.2 Premium Plus quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Audi service is horrible. I bought new a Q7 TDI and a Q5 for my wife. First the Audi dealer overfills the oil in the Q7 causing all kinds of problems and would not fix them because the car was just out of warranty. Then my coolant in the Q5 starts leaking all over the garage and they say it won’t be fixed under warranty because the leak could be caused from an “outside influence”. I called Audi America who says “sorry” nothing we can do…. I am going to relay my terrible experience on every blog I can find. Such a shame as I really loved the Q7 and thought I could get more than 70k miles out of it. FYI- Criswell in Annapolis was the dealer.

Audi treats you great when you are buying the car but once you hit the service department you are treated like a second class citizen. Tried contacting Audi USA to step in and make things right with no success. Look at other luxury brands that know how to treat a customer.

• SUV