2012 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium quattro SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

2.0 L is plenty fast
By croot

2012 Audi Q5 SUV 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Very satisfied with our 2012 Q5. I would recommend the smaller engine to anyone. Very quick and plenty fast. Great gas mileage. The 8-speed must help that. My only grip about the engine is sound at idle when you are outside. It is only a sputter that comes out of the exhaust.

Favorite Features

Quality

Suggested Improvements

Audi needs to make a more user friendly entertainment system. Using the stereo, even the HVAC is frustrating. Our other car is an Infinity G37 and the Japanese make these creature comfort controls much easier to use. Hard to imagine that Audi consults with the general buying public before designing these systems.

Nice Car - Horrible service
By kingsman

2012 Audi Q5 SUV 3.2 Premium Plus quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Audi service is horrible. I bought new a Q7 TDI and a Q5 for my wife. First the Audi dealer overfills the oil in the Q7 causing all kinds of problems and would not fix them because the car was just out of warranty. Then my coolant in the Q5 starts leaking all over the garage and they say it won’t be fixed under warranty because the leak could be caused from an “outside influence”. I called Audi America who says “sorry” nothing we can do…. I am going to relay my terrible experience on every blog I can find. Such a shame as I really loved the Q7 and thought I could get more than 70k miles out of it. FYI- Criswell in Annapolis was the dealer.

Suggested Improvements

Audi treats you great when you are buying the car but once you hit the service department you are treated like a second class citizen. Tried contacting Audi USA to step in and make things right with no success. Look at other luxury brands that know how to treat a customer.

Lovely vehicle but far too many issues for the price
By tofinochris

2012 Audi Q5 SUV 3.2 Premium Plus quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

We've owned a Premium Plus (3.2) Q5 for around four months and have driven it extensively in city and on highway. It's a fine vehicle, very comfortable, and has plenty of power. However, there are many small issues with the car that really boggle the mind at the $50k-ish price. 1. The multimedia system is, frankly, awful. It's design that feels a decade old, the control dial scrolls things the opposite way from other consumer devices (eg iPod), and the menu system is convoluted. 2. The GPS is completely useless. The maps provided with the car are at least 4-5 years old and the routing is poor. 3. The gas cap cover has broken already, 4 months in. Flimsy construction.

Favorite Features

Car is extremely comfortable, even on long drives. Everything is very quiet. Engine has plenty of power. Gas mileage is actually not horrendous as long as you drive sensibly. Sound system is quite nice. Lots of cargo space and thoughtful touches in the cargo area like bag hooks and little storage areas.

Suggested Improvements

1. Multimedia system needs to be completely overhauled. I've worked in tech all my life and still find it hard to use. It's really awful. 2. Up-to-date maps absolutely need to be supplied with a luxury car. There is no excuse for 5-year-old maps. 3. Construction quality must improve -- the broken gas cap cover really makes me question overall quality. 4. Our salesman informed us that we could not change the steering wheel display from using european radix points (eg 10,7km instead of 10.7km). A small thing, but I'm not in Europe and the comma is annoying -- again, I should be able to change this in a luxury car.

audi the best
By gmudan

2012 Audi Q5 SUV 3.2 Premium Plus quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Audi Q5 2012 my first and last suv. great to drive quiet, fun great handling, suspension, steering and trans, can be adjusted to your taste, all in all its the best

Favorite Features

sunroof, audi replaced the sunroof, sound system is awesome, seats are perfect, long or short drives they are comfortable. interia room plenty.

Suggested Improvements

non

Rear hazards of the car
By krosenquist

2012 Audi Q5 SUV 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Overall, great car. However, I would alert families to that the 2 tailpipes are nice looking but extend too far out from the car. I have a crescent shaped burn on my shin when I let the dog out of the back. Three small boys eating a snack off the back nearly missed being burned by these pipes. Since these events, I've noticed that most car makers do a better job of hiding the tail pipe under the bumper. Also, rear door does not stop quickly enough and for small objects in it's line of descent to a closed position. My son who is only 9 had it push down on him. If you can't get bags, body parts or dog paws out of the way in time, it could dangerous.

2012 Q5 @ 20k Miles - Great SUV
By jolietjay

2012 Audi Q5 SUV 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

We just passed 20k miles on a 2012 2.0T Premium Plus; and just passed the 1 year anniversary of buying this vehicle. Overall this has been a great crossover SUV. Made it through the Chicago Winter and I found myself driving it more than my 2010 4Runner with 4WD. The AWD is great in the snow and on icy roads. The front seats offer a lot of room, and at 6'3" AND 250 lbs.....I fit in this car just fine. Plenty of head room. More head room than most full size SUVs. The back section doesn't offer as much storage space as a full size SUV, but the back seats to fold (almost) flat to make a pretty good sized cargo space. If you need to haul a lot on a long trip, the integrated roof rails

Favorite Features

Engine Response - the 2.0T is remarkable powerful and responsive. Handling - tight handling, good response from the stearing wheel. Very comfortable drive, but at the same time it really grips the road. Refined Interior - great finishes, leather seats, comfort, great sounding sound system. Technology - Sirius/XM Radio, Bluetooth connections to your mobile phone. Sunroom - full panoramic sun roof is great. Gas Mileage - drove 3000 miles on a vacation from Chicago to NC and back.....averaged 25mpg with a roof cargo box and bike rack on the hitch.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing major, but some minor pet peaves. Chrome trim around the outside mirrors reflects off the side windows, slightly annoying. Fog Lights - why have to turn them on every time you get in the car at night, can't you just set them to stay on. Why not match the white light of the Bi-Xenon headlights? Sunroof Shade - it should be a little more solid in fabric to fully block the sun; not entirely a shade. Setting the clock - should be simple, instead you need to navigate the computer interface.....not easy. Go for the upgraded 5 spoke wheels.....the standard wheels are IMPOSSIBLE to keep clean with all the brake dust. Having 12 spokes is a lot of surface to clean.

Q5 2.0 Premium After 12,000 miles
By cheapiam

2012 Audi Q5 SUV 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Amazingly fun to drive. Averaging over 25 mpg in mixed driving with a high of 29 and a low of 23. Transmission is quiet and smooth (unless I drive really hard, you don't even notice the shifts). Virtually no oil loss over my last oil change (7000 plus miles). Get the Audi Care Package as Service Costs are high.

Favorite Features

Handling, Gas Mileage, Interior, Ride, Finish, and Seating for Grown Kids (Adults) in back is much roomier than anticipated. Jealous friends!

Suggested Improvements

Better location for Phone - takes up too much space in glove compartment, Wish the windows could be lowered with remote for those hot days. Can't get used to the brake dust issue. Wish there was a bit more cubby style storage up front as center console is small. SUV convenience with A4 Sport Sedan handling. Just the right combination or comfort without sacrificing performance.

Q5 Audi review
By claimbo

2012 Audi Q5 SUV 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

The Audi Q5 is a wonderful addition to the Audi line up. This vehicle is traditional Audi with all the bells and whistles that makes an Audi and Audi. Great pick up and tight steering. It drives just as a German car should drive. The 8 speed automatic transmission is very smooth. The keyless entry and push button actions are what one would expect from a luxury vehicle. It is fun to drive. Mine came with the technology package which is a bit disappointing.

Favorite Features

I like the 2 liter turbo engine. It starts up and it runs. What else can you expect from a German motor. The stereo system is fantastic. With 500 watts or sound, I can hear all the notes all the way up the power band. Front seats are comfortable. Rear seats should have more leg room. There is plenty of room in the rear cargo area. My Q5 came with roof racks chrome exhaust tips. There are many accessories for this truck.

Suggested Improvements

The MMI system needs work. It is confusing to use. The MMI system should boot up to the navigation map. Instead you get the last location you put in. The voice activation is minimal at best. It will only dial a number. It does not work the temperature controls or the radio. This is standard equipment on cheaper cars. Here is where utility of the truck. he other luxury cars shine over Audi. The brakes stop well but there is a lot of brake dust. Im not sure how to fix this. Using harder brakes will ruin the soft stopping ability of the truck.

My last car was a BMW X5, Audi rules!
By rosiegirl

2012 Audi Q5 SUV 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I think my title says it all! My last car was a top of the line X5 , with everything on it. I paid cash for it brand new. I owned it for 7 years....problems, little niggly ones, all the time. Trim that didn't fit, rattles, BMW issues! I loved driving that car though. My Q5...leased it as I was wary about buying...everything has been perfect since day one. The fit and finish are perfect, driving it's wonderful and the dealer is 100% hassle free.Including the free car washes!

Favorite Features

Quality, styling, drive.

Good but room for improvement...
By realpicky

2012 Audi Q5 SUV 3.2 Premium Plus quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This is a very nice car/cross over. Fun ride but you can feel all road blemishes. It handles extremely well. Very responsive steering. It has surprising acceleration. Excellent headlights. Not a wimpy looking cross over so as a guy, you won't be embarrassed. The Multi Media System... well lets just say they blew it (see below). My wife can't figure it out so she sticks with FM stations.

Favorite Features

Fun car to drive. Comfortable front seats. Great sound system. VERY solid feeling. Responsive steering. Quiet in the cabin. Climate control works well.

Suggested Improvements

** The Multi Media System (MMS) is my biggest beef. I own a technology company so I'm not a neophyte with computers and technology in general. First of all, the MMS is improperly located. All the buttons and control are on the console between the driver and passenger. That means to change anything you must take your eyes off the road just to locate the right button. In addition, there are too many button and dials all integrated into one big mess. I will leave it at that. ** Brake dust is easily caked on the wheels. Very frustrating. ** The second row seat is not very comfortable and they should have sculped the front seats to give passenger more leg/knee room in the second row.