Watch out for the 2.0T Engines
By atlas4 on
2011 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)
I tried to do as much research as possible and every review kept pointing to the Audi 2011 Q5 with the 2.0T as the best at this time. So I bought one. The ride is excellent, gas mileage is very good, the fit and finish is excellent but now comes the big issue. The car burns oil at a very high rate. At 4000 miles I had to add a full quart of oil. The manual says it can burn 1 qt. every 600 miles so I guess that mean at almost every fill up of gas put a qt of oil in. That sounds ridiculous. I called 3 dealers and all said yes it does burn a lot of oil. Well that is just not acceptable so I sold it got a Toyota Rav4 4WD with more power, more cargo room and does not burn oil.
Favorite Features
Ride, handling
Suggested Improvements
Fix the oil burning 2.0T engine
By jesterjax
on 09/12/11 04:41 AM (PDT)

I own a 2011 VW Tiguan with the same 2.0T. I've driven 17K miles in 8 months, its just so much fun to drive! It comes with factory fill full synthetic, and a change recommendation every 10K miles. One oil change so far. I pop the hood and check the oil about couple of weeks, and always full. Good luck with your RAV4, but no oil issues for me.

By geffroy
on 04/16/12 17:37 PM (PDT)

I'm having the same issue with my Q5. It burns about 1 quart every 4K miles and we've owned it for about 1 1/2 years and has 22,000 miles. Audi says that as long as it's not more than 1 quart per 1,000 it's ok and they won't do anything. Moreover, in the owner's manual (page 273) it states the following under the oil consumption section: ?Depending on the way the vehicle is driven and the operating conditions, oil consumption can be up to quart per 600 miles. Consumption may be higher within the first 3,000 miles.? I expect more from a $50,000 car and I've owned other audi's and bmw where I never saw the engine oil light. Now that I realize that Audi is washing their hands on this topic, I certainly will not consider buying another Audi. My concerns now is that I'm stuck with this oil burning pollutor and it will undoubtly continue to consume more and more oil and even if it consume 1 quart per 1000 miles which for us means 1.5 quarts per month, Audi is not going to fix it. For those of you considering this car, please think twice. If I had known, there many other nice SUV that don't have this issue.

By jolietjay
on 05/13/11 11:44 AM (PDT)

I've owned 2 VW Passat's and an Audi A4 Wagon, all with the 2.0T Engine, and have never experienced any oil issues. I use Full Synthetic Oil, and only change the oil about every 7k miles.....again, never a problem. In fact, never any problems with this engine.

By ne_expat
on 11/11/11 18:54 PM (PST)

So, your Audi used $5 worth of oil driving from New York City to Mexico City and back and you traded it for a Toyota. That makes about as much sense as divorcing Jessica Alba for Susan Boyle because Jessica burned the toast every couple of months. Incredible. I would put a quart of oil in an Audi weekly before I would drive a Toyota Rav4 even if the Rav went 100,000 miles between oil changes.