2009 Audi Q5 - Consumer Reviews

3.2 Premium quattro 3.2L V6 AWD 6-speed Automatic - (55 reviews )
Great car! Just take care of it!
By stimm32 on 11/13/12 21:56 PM (PST)

2009 Audi Q5 3.2 Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased this car with 24,000 miles on it, and we have all the service records. The owners before us were very meticulous, and they had very few issues, and we have now put 6,000 miles on it and still have had no problems. The review that complains about having to replace the brakes at 30k is driving in the city constantly, I can tell because they also had to have the carbon build-up cleaned. Carbon build-up is a fact of life for direct injected engines, but when the car is driven at highway speed, the combustion chamber gets hot enough to burn off the carbon. Also, take care of your car. Change the oil with VW 502 00 approved oil every 5,000 miles, and keep up on scheduled maintenance.

German engineered nonsense
By gigles on 01/26/12 07:35 AM (PST)

2009 Audi Q5 3.2 Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Instead of going into a long winded review of my 2009 Audi Q5, i will simply list the warranty work that has been performed thus far: - replaced center console - replaced water pump - replaced exterior HID light system - repaired gas lid - replaced rear hatch struts - removed engine for DE-carbon (3 full days) - replaced fuel injection - replaced steering rod & pump Non warranty: - replaced brakes and rotors (30K)

Avoid this over engineered junk
By RK on 11/10/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Audi Q5 3.2 Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Beautiful vehicle and lots of fun to drive. Great interior. Excellent manners even on Illinois pot holded roads. Now the bad news. Quality issues from day one. Spent more time in the service shop than in my garage. Had issues with audio system, numerous unexplainable warning lights that pop up and go away on their own. Head gasket leaks after 6 months. I don't believe I bought a lemon. Seems many owners seem to have quality issues. Don't fall for the looks. I'm through buying over engineered junk from Germany.

Complete Package
By forum24 on 06/24/10 16:49 PM (PDT)

2009 Audi Q5 3.2 Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I don't know what is happening with the people who are claiming to have such catastrophic problems with their Q5's. I myself and two other acquaintances all bought Q5's last spring or summer. Between the 3 cars, none of us have experienced a single problem with any of them, and I have put 16,000 miles on in the first year alone. I had leased several Lexus’s prior, and was reluctant to change brands specifically because I was worried about reliability: I did, and have never been happier. This car is gorgeous, comfortable and has more features than I could get in the Lexus for a comparable price- and as of now, the Audi is more reliable!

Many problems
By jackiew on 05/20/10 15:28 PM (PDT)

2009 Audi Q5 3.2 Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This car was my first luxury car and what a disappointment. Engine light comes on and stays on but dealer can't find a problem. Air conditioner works sometimes. Has a problem restarting when gassing up. Service not what is promised in the sales pitch. Would sell tomorrow if I could get my money back. My husband has driven several luxury cars without these kind of headaches.

The Best
By Sailor on 05/15/10 15:29 PM (PDT)

2009 Audi Q5 3.2 Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Would like to see some reviews on 2010 model. Considered the BMW X3 & X5, VW Tiguan & Tourag and MB GLK. Decided the Q5 was the best bet. Have owned it for 30 days and haven't regretted my choice yet. Overall quality, fit & finish, drivability are outstanding. Negative comments in 2009 reviews seem to be fixed for 2010 (steering and tranny). Gadgets are mind boggling until you learn how to use the and then you learn to love them.

Side mirror/ hatch back dr/ Cruise contr
By Dragonfly on 05/06/10 18:49 PM (PDT)

2009 Audi Q5 3.2 Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I enjoy my car and it is awesome looking but the side mirrors are too big to be point that I even had an accident because of them.1st time in 37 years and the hatch back door needs to be automatic in all models. Cruise control is terrible as it is an instant when you try to change the set speed. Other than that, all else is great. Dragonfly

Buyer beware of water pump issues
By Mark on 04/23/10 12:32 PM (PDT)

2009 Audi Q5 3.2 Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have been very happy with my Audi Q5 until today. Had car towed into dealership after the coolant burst in the engine compartment. I pretty much lost all coolant - luckily i was about to park it in the garage. Found out today that the water pump failed at 7,800 miles. It is covered under warranty but warranty or not this is a major issue. I have so far seen a mass of posts with the same issue. Fortunately for me the engine never had the opportunity to overheat. Audi needs to address the issue with their current owners immediately.

Q5 is best choice I could have made
By Kim in Seattle on 10/11/09 04:19 AM (PDT)

2009 Audi Q5 3.2 Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Was driving an S-line A6 for past 2 years and while it was great it was too big for me. The Q5 has the luxury of the A6 and the nimbleness of the A4 all packaged in a functional SUV. I have wanted a mini SUV for years but they all look like 'soccer mom' cars until the Q5. That's what made the difference. The exterior is so aggressive and sporty vs 'cute'. One touch of the power hatch lift button and I can get my bike in the cargo area or pack up for a road trip. My husband wanted to keep the A6 and even he admits the Q5 is pretty cool.

Transmission default
By alex on 10/06/09 19:32 PM (PDT)

2009 Audi Q5 3.2 Premium quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Although a very good looking car and fun to drive at high speeds, this car transmission technology is still too new and Audi has not full control over it, I have a default transmission, and am not the only one, they have no right answers as how to fix it, they first exchange the mechatronics which has nothing to do with the jerking of the transmission in the lower gears, and after trying different things and not being able to repair the car their best solution is to replace the entire transmission in a vehicle that has less than 2800 miles. That to me as a customer is unacceptable.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Audi Q5 in VA is:

$124 per month*