1997 Audi Cabriolet - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (11 reviews )
Beautiful, but only to the eye.
By Random Beast on 05/27/09 15:00 PM (PDT)

1997 Audi Cabriolet 2dr Convertible

This vehicle is very, very attractive. Mechanically it has been very disappointing. The engine is lame. I don't need a power house but this engine is simply not eager. We've had many problems with this car, passenger seat jammed, engine light on consistently, front suspension issues, roof won't open all the time, driver window regulator blew, fuel gauge inaccurate and fails, replaced fuel tank evaporator valve, seats squeak, replace engine seals due to oil leaks, water pump failed early, cigarette lighter doesn't work, radio antennae mast failed, trunk lid struts failed and other minor irritants. The car isn't as good a handling vehicle as my '97 BMW. Fuel economy isn't stellar. Don't buy 1!

Great little car
By Amanda on 12/20/07 09:34 AM (PST)

1997 Audi Cabriolet 2dr Convertible

I have driven this car for several years and really have enjoyed it. It runs well, the top is easy to operate, and most importantly, it is reliable. This car is distinct and well crafted, without a ton of bells and whistles.

I'm in love!
By Julie on 12/20/06 07:33 AM (PST)

1997 Audi Cabriolet 2dr Convertible

I can only say great things about this car. It has been a sheer joy to drive and it looks incredibly beautiful. Good luck finding one!

Be careful
By scott on 12/01/06 12:46 PM (PST)

1997 Audi Cabriolet 2dr Convertible

I love this car as far as ride and handling goes. Fuel economy is not what I expected. It has a tendency to be a money pit with regards to constant minor repairs. The quality of the car leaves one baffled when you consider the association of the name. Although, as I said I like the ride and handling, it is most doubtful that I would ever buy another one.

Sweet Convertible Cruiser
By Sicario on 04/11/05 12:27 PM (PDT)

1997 Audi Cabriolet 2dr Convertible

Bought this one owner Audi Cabriolet 2 years ago, drive it only in the summer (top has never been up ). A real head turner, and always draws comments when parked. V6 not powerful, no electric seats, no tilt steering, but fun as all hell to drive, no problems to date.

Sad to see go
By aimeeder on 06/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Audi Cabriolet 2dr Convertible

The Audi cabriolet has been a fabulous car for me. Very reliable, very zippy and tons of fun. As a petite woman, it was the only covertible that I test drove where I had any visiability out of the rear. Have loved this cars for years and can't recommend the model enough -- trunk space is minimal, but so easy to dump things in the back seat. Happily, a relative is buying this car from me, otherwise, I couldn't part with it. I had three people lined up who said, if you ever sell, I will buy!

yougottobekidding
By audisluv on 02/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Audi Cabriolet 2dr Convertible

I like the power compared to my 2.5 TL Acura ,it comes on soundlessly and over 60 has the pull of locomotive.Compared to my sold miata it is not the best handeling but if a SUV (driver/phone user on wheels) decides to back end me I won't be flatted like a bug. Very comfortable with top down and the windspoiler in place.

Awesome car
By Barrie on 10/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Audi Cabriolet 2dr Convertible

This car was given to me by my dad, who loves audis. If you're looking to buy a car with a good name and good looks, this is definently a great pick! I haven't had any problems with it, though sometimes the automatic top is stubborn.

Timeless Car
By Multiple Audi Owner on 10/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Audi Cabriolet 2dr Convertible

This car is now 6 years old, and still draws attention when it's parked with the top down. The design is absolutely timeless: it looks like it was carved out of a single block of steel. The 2.8 engine (Audi's pre-5 valves per cylinder model) with 170 horses will not rocket this heavy car off the line, but that's not the point of the Cabriolet. It's a classic cruiser, and it fills that role beautifully. I will keep it 20 years.

buyer beware
By mrs. h on 01/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Audi Cabriolet 2dr Convertible

I love the look of this car, but would NEVER buy another Audi. I had serious problems with many aspects of this car - for example, replaced the battery 3 times in 4 years. Had to replace the entire steering system - and the car only has 46000 miles on it.