Hunk of Junk
By allroadjunk on
2004 Audi allroad quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)
Buyers beware of this Audi at any price! I traded in my wife’s Lexus RX300 with 100K (great car) for a 2004 All Road with 75K. A week after we got the Audi the turn signal failed and the part cost over $100. To make things worse, it is under a front dash plate that is impossible to remove without breaking the cheap tabs that hold the metal clips ($150 to replace). Within a month it started to leak oil and I was told that the seal was a known problem and impossible to replace without a top end tear down (eight hours of labor). I did this repair and the trimming belt at a cost of over $2,600. Then a coil went and I was told to replace all six due to an Audi recall. A few months later warning lights started coming on and sensors that cost $300 plus to replace started to become common. I am now at 90K and I have another oil leak going to the turbo (min $500) and the air suspension has gone bad ($1,700 per wheel and should be done in pairs) and my check engine and ABS lights are going on and off. After owning over 65 cars, this is truly the biggest hunk of junk! Audi should step up and do a recall on the suspension and oil problems. While they did the right thing by discontinuing the “All Road” model they apparently still have many problems with the A6 (according to a 2010 worst rating survey) and God help you if you have an A8. My brother gave his to the “Cash for Clunkers” program.
Favorite Features
The All Road is great in snow, very fast off the line and fun to drive but it leaks more that an early model 12 cyl. Jaguar and cost more to keep on the road.
Suggested Improvements
Quality engineering is lacking in every aspect of parts and ease of replacement. Seals and sensors should not be failing with fewer than 100K miles “period”! Also suspension systems should not require an 8K cost to replace (air bags, pump and valves), this design borders on criminal intent.
By takis56
on 09/02/12 19:02 PM (PDT)

Why did you buy it if your brother gave his to the Cash for Clunkers???????

By nwfinder
on 06/10/14 13:50 PM (PDT)

What people just don't realize is that even if someone gives you an Audi or Volkswagen for free you're still screwed.