2003 Audi allroad quattro Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific allroad quattro model:
Be Careful of Automatic Transmission
By connveteran on 10/14/13 22:39 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi allroad quattro Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

The ZF Automatic Transmission is known to have MAJOR problems in this car. Audi apparently was aware that the 2001-2004 Allroads had bad transmissions but never did a recall The first thing to go is Reverse Gear. It slips when going uphill backwards. Reverse might be okay on level ground but not on inclines/hills. It's a very costly $4,000+ repair and you can't replace it with a used transmission because that one will also probably go bad. It must be rebuilt. Audi changed the transmission in 2004 or 2005 because they were that bad.

Best Car Ever Made
By carsrfun5 on 05/24/13 00:52 AM (PDT)

2003 Audi allroad quattro Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I love my Audi Allroad. All of my family and friends can't believe it when they see this car, it is beautiful. It is ULTRA luxury, ULTRA comfort and the nicest car, I have ever owned for what I need - family / sporty enough for a "Guy". It is awesome for my family, trips and just to cruise and it is also a lot of fun when I am alone. It's twin turbo is quick and I have never been so happy and felt so suited with a car for a combination of all my needs and still an unbelievably "hot" car. And if you take trips to the mountain and do any winter driving then this car is a MUST. 5 Stars.

It was the best of cars..it was the worst of cars
By good_apple on 11/05/11 17:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi allroad quattro Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

Purchased 2003 Allroad in September '05; parted ways in November '11. I chose the car for practicality and a need to be able to get around in winter..no matter what. It was perfect for that and was super comfortable on long trips. The downside: it went through tires and brakes like crazy. I am embarassed to admit how much I spent in repairs: the front suspension bladers, turbos, heater over and over, etc. Even my mechanic told me I could not afford to keep it. I will miss the winter reliability, but not the drain on my bank account.

99 Problems but a Hörch ain’t one
By penwolf on 06/17/11 20:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi allroad quattro Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I killed my Audi today. After almost four years of Allroad ownership I should be qualified to write a thoughtful and informative review of my experience. Alas, I’ve spent more time in and out of cheap rented harlots; Nissan Sentras, Chrysler PTs, Toyota Camrys, KIA Optimas and Chevy Cobalts, while my Audi slept in greasy mechanics shops with her claws on my credit card. If you like money in your pocket, don’t buy this Audi. If you like to drive your own car, don’t buy this Audi. If you, like me, are a masochist, hell-bent on suffering and burning money, check out the Audi Allroad. My Audi was four years of abject languish, watching something I love destroy itself and my finances.

Do not buy an Allroad
By awdjunkie on 01/28/11 12:10 PM (PST)

2003 Audi allroad quattro Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

These cars are great for a while... like a short while. Like another poster said, each shop visit is going to cost 4 digits and they are going to happen a few times a year... not to mention 800 dollars tires. They are hungry Brake eaters as well... there is another $800 routine maintnance bill. They are money pits, but I did love it when it was behaving.

Not fun to fix
By Hoss on 12/17/09 09:52 AM (PST)

2003 Audi allroad quattro Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I loved driving the allroad, but I hated to fix it. Every time it went to the shop it needed at least $1000. Leaks here, bad parts there, $90 oil changes, Mine was becoming such a money pit I was glad to sell it at a loss. The 2.7T can be tuned to make great power, but it also leaks oil like a sieve and is expensive to fix. Parts go bad on these cars far short of what I would consider an acceptable life span.

I love it, warts and all
By Sportsman on 12/07/09 08:54 AM (PST)

2003 Audi allroad quattro Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is now 7 years old, approaching 100K miles, and still looks and drives like new! I like this car so much I'm willing to tolerate its high maintenance; I recently needed a new clutch and brakes; tires last for one year; the 105K maintenance is due soon ($$$). I have owned a BMW X5 and a Subaru Outback with similar functional images, but there's really no comparison to this Audi. It's a silly car in a way: the manual trans's first gear is so tall that this car is a clutch-burner off-road and on boat ramps. I use this car to pull a boat trailer, haul bikes, kayaks, camping and skiing equipment, and drive fast, especially in the snow. My adult kids like to borrow it when they're in town

You can do everything with it
By 2integrate on 05/04/09 20:16 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi allroad quattro Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I wanted a car that was stylish and had good performance and handling, all while providing enough space to haul my equipment and tools around because I am a contractor. I have never been disappointed with this car. For work or play it delivers. I am not a fan of SUVs, because you really can't drive and have fun. You forget that you are in a wagon. IT IS A GREAT CAR WITH GREAT LOOK!

Is a great car when not in shop
By gracegreek on 10/30/08 15:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Audi allroad quattro Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my 2nd Audi, my previous one was the A6 sedan. I have driven other luxury cars and nothing is more comfortable for long or short drives than the Audi. My 1st Audi I sold at 102K miles, unfortunately this one is having all the same problems as the last one and the extended warranty is running out. I bring my car into the shop 5 or 6 times a year beyond my religious tire rotation and oil changes. You must be religious on rotating tires every 5K-6K miles just to get 20K miles out of them. This is unique to the Allroad. Both area dealers have excellent service,and they are prompt with loaner cars. Excellent car as long as it is under warranty.

Partially Underrated
By Johan WA on 08/02/08 10:15 AM (PDT)

2003 Audi allroad quattro Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Very good, safe vehicle. Convenient. Great on winter roads to go skiing – perfect; never put winter tires on it and never slipped once. I don’t like the rugged bumper-look, however, you do spend most of your time on the inside looking out, so the interior must be super-good, and it is, comfy and lots of gizmos. Variable ground clearance is the coolest – it’s why I got it. I expected it all to be broken by now, but 100,000 miles later it still works (and I use that toy). They say EPA is 16/23 city/high: my combined average is 22.1mpg at an average speed of 33mph, but I am a very gentle/boring driver. Overall smooth and relaxed vehicle; go anywhere any speed, over a pass or valet parking.