Used 2002 Audi allroad quattro Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Audi Allroad-quattro - Consumer Reviews

2002 Audi allroad quattro Wagon

View reviews for a specific allroad quattro model:

Loved it... but it beat my wallet into submission
By daniel911t

2002 Audi allroad quattro Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This was a fantastic car. I had a 2002 purchased with about 45K mi on it. It was immense fun to drive, thirsty, and practical. However, once things started to break... I had trouble finding mechanics that would work on it, then the bills were staggering. I sold the car with 120K mi on it after the final straw fell... while on a long road trip the alternator failed - not a big deal, but the repair was $1.1K! Timing belt and other minor work was $5k, clutch was $3k... it was just crushingly expensive to keep alive. But it was AMAZING when it worked right! If you're a mechanic, or are friends with one, then go ahead and buy one.

Favorite Features

Power, AWD, availability of a manual transmission. Audi's interiors are the finest in the industry. Nobody south of Maybach or Rolls Royce does better.

Suggested Improvements

The vehicle is very over-complicated and the air suspension is both expensive to fix and trouble prone. I wish I had just bought an A6 Avant and had good old springs. The engine is packaged very tightly and even minor service items require astounding levels of disassembly. You'll find that parts aren't too bad, but the labor rates are downright shocking... it's just a very hard car to work on.

quick, powerful, smooth..... BUT....
By hfjuice

2002 Audi allroad quattro Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

My audi has 160,000 miles bought it not too long ago has no major problem but the oxygen censer gave up on me. other than that drive like new. the turbos are very nice has very little lag, it pick ups on the highway. the car hauls and has won me a race with a 740 bwm. my only big concern is the mpg in the city! this car really shine in the highway. for the power that it has it ok but i would love to see me squeezing a bit more on my fuel tank.

Favorite Features

packed with features my favorite is the adjustable suspension, multi-disk, heated seats, turbos, and track control.

Suggested Improvements

MPG increase but can always add additives to squeeze an extra 3-6 mpg i can manage to get 27 mpg highway (really good for a v6 turbo engine)

Fully Mature, Past 100k
By XCBIKER

2002 Audi allroad quattro Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I am the third owner of this steroidal, German brute. This car was never designed to be a drag racer...so no need to treat it like one. Where this car truly shines is the open freeway and out in the open wild. Where can you get on-rail handling and passing power of a Porsche? Where can you charge down a snowy, dirt road at nearly 75mph with confidence? How about scale a 25% grade complete with ruts, roots and loam and not even break a sweat with wheel spin? Audi and its Torsen AWD is everything today's crossover/SUV owner wants. This car simply has Bentley comfort and Porsche performance. Is it worth the upkeep costs? YES. Life is too short to be driving dull, uninspiring cars!

Favorite Features

-Four levels or ride height: Level 1 - Freeway and mountain passes Level 2 - Around town, with a commanding view of the road Level 3 - Dirt fire roads and gravel Level 4 - Tackling steep hills and rocky river crossings -Tiptronic clutchless shifting - Blistered wheel arches

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy

7 yrs old and 90K miles and still like it
By Chris P

2002 Audi allroad quattro Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I really like this car. Mix of sporty, utility, and family wagon. Mine is 6 speed manual (rare) with the factory jump seats in the back (even more rare) so seats 7 (5+2kids). It's the best SUV.

Favorite Features

Jump seats, and with the manual I regularly get 24MPG in mixed commuting (15%city/85% freeway).

Suggested Improvements

I just wish they'd bring back the Allroad.

Drives like an Audi ... but ...
By forzajuve

2002 Audi allroad quattro Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I knew that by purchasing a used Allroad I may have had problems with the air suspension. but didn't expect so soon. Within 3 months I spent 1000 dollars per side (yes ... they are pricey). Then because the car is so heavy, I am experiencing problems with the ball joints (other common problem). Tire wear is abnormal. Overall it is a great car to drive, very comfortable ... but I wouldn't buy another one. The Volvo XC is much better option and without those expensive air shocks.

Favorite Features

interior, cargo, features

Suggested Improvements

drop the cost of repairs, pick higher quality suppliers