Used 2001 Audi allroad quattro Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Audi allroad quattro Wagon - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.7L V6 Twin-turbo AWD 6-speed Manual - (26 reviews )

The renaissance vehicle
By DJ95070

2001 Audi allroad quattro Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The allroad has been flawless. Great handling. Most impressive AWD system. Gets me from the coast to the coldest and snowiest places faster than any other vehicle - for the third year in a row. After 40k miles, it's proven itself. Gas mileage has been 21.5mpg average for all my driving - and I love to accelerate!

The greatest AWD system handles any condition confidently, Spectacular Engine, Solid feel, smooth ride, fantastic handling, luxurious but rugged interior, excellent gas mileage, Great looking wagon!

Audi should have a standard square tow hitch.

Beautiful Headache Redux
By Blackroad Again

2001 Audi allroad quattro Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I reviewed my car at 46k, now a follow- up at 73k. The headaches are fewer, but the car didn't shape up until after 50k and MANY dealer visits. Audi put on same tires as A8 and balanced them right. Vibration gone. The brake rotors warped after 23K more miles - Audi refuses to help. 3 visits to fix leaky w/washer system. It never ends. I love this car, but never again.

quattro is faultless in snow; interior is handsome; great for hauling gear; still turns heads; good handling, power.

Fewer coffee breaks at the factory; better training for dealer mechanics. Audi needs to get moving on quality and reliability.

Excellent alternative to SUV
By plymm

2001 Audi allroad quattro Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

bought certified pre-owned. Owned car for 6 months now. Very reliable-no mechanical problems. Only issue was getting use to transmission lag-I find there is no turbo lag-the transmission doesn't shift down fast enough (to improve fuel economy) causing lag/hesitation. This issue goes away when you use the tiptronic shifter. I also find the lag gets minimized if you go easy on the gas pedal initially and then lay into it. This also creates a more linear power curve. Been driving it around in NE winter storms. The all wheel drive is capable, but not as sure footed as my Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo in the snow--the Jeep has a slight edge.

Great exterior look--does not look like a station wagon. Great interior layout. Great handling on wet/dry. Ability to adjust suspenstion height. Safety features such as side curtain airbags. Roomy interior.

Darker tint on rear windows for privacy. Ability to manually adjust suspension height to higher settings at higher speeds. Eliminate driver adapting automatic transmission--allow for manual setting of sport or regular modes on the automatic transmission.

Awesome, But. . . . .
By Pedrop

2001 Audi allroad quattro Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I love this car more than any others I have ever owned. But the quality leaves a little to be desired. At 5k miles, the power steering pump blew up. At 10k miles the waterpump cracked. Battery kicked out at 12k miles. At 30k miles the air suspension developed a leak - one the dealer kept insisting they could not replicate. All items were eventually taken care of professionally by Audi. But you have to wonder about a car that listed at close to $50k new.

Engine is great - plenty of power. The solar sunroof that circulate cabin air should be mandatory in the hot climates. Exterior and styling and wheels are still getting complements.

Doesn't handle that well in the corners. Tiptronic tranny is kind of useless and doesn't function that well in tiptronic mode - But it is great in full auto. There is an annoying "Boiing!" sound that comes from the front suspension sometimes when you hit bumps.

Love it with a couple reservations
By likes to drive

2001 Audi allroad quattro Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This has been a great family car!!!!! My husband is European and likes a car that he can really "drive". This works for us, and yes, we text drove everything out there. He drives it with the tiptronic and it gets a bit better gas milage. It is comfortable for long drives, has been steady when driving on flooded and windy roads; and still turns heads in the preschool parking lot. An unexpected benifit of raising the car has been less bending needed when taking the children out of the car!

Being able to raise the car! Love the leg room in the back seat!

When I bought the car I was told that I could put in a third seat. Now I find I can't. I really need to be able to fit more children in the car. I'd also like a bit longer front seat.