Used 2001 Audi allroad quattro Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Audi allroad quattro Wagon - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.7L V6 Twin-turbo AWD 6-speed Manual - (26 reviews )

Car from HELL!
By Widower

2001 Audi allroad quattro Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased the Certified Allroad to replace my wifeís 1999 Lexus RX300 that had zero problems in 90000 miles (65000 when bought). My wife passed away from cancer and it was emotionally difficult for me to drive her car. I thought the Audi would serve a dual purpose of SUV for camping and nice transportation for travel to my children who live several hours away in snowy regions. I underestimated the enormous unreliability. In 18000 miles, itís had problems with the suspension system (very pricey), the cooling system (shop for 10 days after very frightening breakdown), windshield wipers, transmission, electric windows, airbag system, trim falling off or breaking. Audi has been no help.

Engine has performed well.

Audi has horrible reliability/quality problems - for a premium luxury brand, they have a lot of work to do to catch up to Lexus. Car needs to actually get the gas mileage which is quoted.

Ultimate Snow Car
By Roberto

2001 Audi allroad quattro Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have lived in Colorado Ski Country for 47 years and have driven Jeeps, Landrovers, Ford Explorers, BMW's and ugh, yes even a Mercedes. The Audi Allroad with Michelin snow tires is the finest handling snow car in the world! Really!! I drive from Denver to Leadville and to Aspen every week during the winter and navigate multiple 11,000 and 12,00 foot passes all winter; even during the height of three and four foot snowstorms. Trust me, this car has saved us from serious injury at least twice. However, as I approach 90,000 miles, I'm getting very nervous that my 100,000 warrantly is nearing its end.Only serious problem has been the hydraulics. They've been replaced three times on warranty.

Handling, interior comfort, interior features (this car does everything!)

Better gas mileage

Be warned - this car could bankrupt you
By CT driver

2001 Audi allroad quattro Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought this car as an SUV alternative - loved the carlike driving, decent performance and Audi style. Unfortunately, the car has been dreadfully unreliable. We've lost $20,000 in depreciation in 30,000 miles and had over $20,000 of warantee repair work done - thats $40,000 to drive 30,000 miles!! WOW. The list of repairs (covered by Audi but inconvenient to say the least) is too long to fit here: 2 replacement transmissions; new brake rotors every 15,000; new front air suspension at 58,000; front tie rods at 55,000; 2 air flow sensors; 3 hazzard light switches; new radiator at 52,000 miles; steering angle sensor (controls ABS) No racing-no accidents-no excuse for this experience

The car is a nice blend of size, performance, utility, and safety.

Audi has horrible reliability/quality problems - for a premium luxury brand, they have a lot of work to do to catch up to Lexus. I've now owned four Audis, I wish I could buy another, but after this experience there is just no way that will happen. Next car will probably be a Honda Pilot

Great automobile but.......
By Steve

2001 Audi allroad quattro Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Incredible automobile - styling, design, drivability, etc. Works well for Maine winters. Minor problems along the way BUT no sooner than the 50k/4 yr warranty was over the whole transmission blew! Cost: $5,600 to replace. Audi 'split' the cost and paid 75% while I paid $1,300. Bummer as the lease is almost over and had to fork over some large $$. I got nowhere with AudiUSA on this issue. No good explanation from anyone on the cause of the issue other than 'it occasionally happens'. This is my 2nd Audi - first was a 1998 A6 which I purchased. Decided to lease this one. I'm afraid after 2 tries I'll not purchase another Audi again. I fear the undependability and future costs to maintain it.

Design, styling, ease of handling the road, Bose stereo. good leg and head room.

BETTER warranty for a car of this caliber. Greater willingness of AUDI to accommodate 'freak' incidents of major cost. Better explanation of costs related to brake pads and tire replacement - they are expensive and should last more than 25k! Overall a costly car to maintain.

What a ride!
By Inquisitor

2001 Audi allroad quattro Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had this car for about 3 1/2 years now, and it's been great- the best car I've ever owned. Twin turbo engine mated to AWD and a variable suspension lead to a car both fast (got my first ticket in 10 years in this car) AND utilitarian. I still get looks and the best comment I ever heard was from a little kid who pointed and said, "Daddy, that's a cool-looking car!" Aside from usual wear, there have been very few problems. I'm switching out now, but only because I miss having a manual transmission (which is available for this car- what a mistake not getting it!).

2.7L engine with twin turbos that generate 250 hp, variable suspension, and simply CAVERNOUS space. Gets lots of attention. The engine is supposed to be easily modifiable to 300+ hp, although I've never given into the temptation.

There is a slight acceleration lag, with considerable debate over whether caused by transmission or turbos. I believe transmission, and that there should be a cure for this.