Used 2001 Audi allroad quattro Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Audi Allroad-quattro - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.7L V6 Twin-turbo AWD 6-speed Manual - (26 reviews )

If only...
By sayitisntsew

2001 Audi allroad quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Before 3 of the 4 air suspension bags and air suspension pump failed..the car was fun to drive...there have been so many little things, coupled with the big things- I feel like after 30,000 miles my Audi was nickel and diming me to death...with the air suspension failure (apparently inevitable with this car) I'M DONE!....and I'm not alone, -google Audi forums- EVERYONE hates the KNOWN failures of this car. Wish I had stayed with my old reliable VOLVO.

Favorite Features

air suspension - when it worked and heated front and rear seats and steering wheel

Suggested Improvements

Air Suspension and absurd cost of all parts and repairs

Tempermental Performer
By LASurf

2001 Audi allroad quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought mine used with 35K. I've had a few problems from the suspension airbags to drive seals and electrical bugs. Car is now at 70K. It is a highly engineered car that is also intended as a 'rugged' vehicle. Maybe too much for the billing. It can be costly to keep but it does run hard, always looks good and is differentiated even from new cars. It is feature rich and the fit-n-finish quality evident. Depending on driving patterns, off-road etc. the air suspension, brakes and cooling systems can be faulty. You do have the turbo lag and heavy transmission shifting that the manual tiptronic addresses. The car is a beast in wet or snowy conditions and runs well in cold weather and desert.

Favorite Features

AWD - wagon size interior; Great utility truck and car combo

Suggested Improvements

Drop the air suspension, work on the transmission/shifting.

Beware!
By tom a

2001 Audi allroad quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

First, the good news. This car is fun to drive and fits a great niche (like a Volvo XC70 or Outback). Now the bad news. Reliability. Or should I say unreliability. I purchased an allroad certified from the dealer with 30K miles on it. Since then, the car has had probably 15 trips for repairs, totaling over $20,000. Everything you can imagine. The first few years, the dealer covered it. But I've paid out about $10K personally now. Audi needs to get its act together. I hope they do, but this Audi is my last.

Suggested Improvements

I agree with the other poster. Fewer coffee breaks at the factory.

Audi Loyalist
By Audi loyalist

2001 Audi allroad quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Purchased car used with 48,000 miles but with a six year 100K warranty. Auto has proven to be the most versatile vehicle I have ever owned. Now that the car is getting up in mileage (82,000) I am getting concerned about ownership costs. I had both front air struts replaced at a cost of $2,700 (ouch)and have had two sets of front brake rotors warp and the air bag sensor needed to be replaced, all major items but my extended warranty covered everything except the shocks (coverage expired two weeks before shocks blew). Regardless I have greatly enjoyed the ownership experience and am actually scouring the market for a low mileage 2005 model as no other car on the market comes close.

Favorite Features

Very smooth and powerful engine with responsive acceleration (with 6-sp manual). Interior is a place to behold, very good ergonomics and beautifully designed and executed. Air adjustible ride height came in handy during a 32 inch blizzard in Spring of '03. Optional Bose sound system is first rate.

Suggested Improvements

Steering is overboosted and brake pedal lacks feel. Windshield washer resevior is too small, center armrest 'creaked' from day one and LED lights in digital displays are burning out. Ask me if I care? Still love this car -I have a 2005 BMW 325XI and a classic Porsche 911SC to benchmark it against

Learned some things
By lives in car

2001 Audi allroad quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought car used while still under Audi warranty. 110,000 miles on the car now, and no squeaks or rattles. The car isn't as reliable as older Audis I've owned, but more reliable than some cars. Wears tires quickly (a trait of AWD cars) but fat, sticky rubber isn't supposed to last. It is a car that looks like it belongs in a most affluent customer's driveway. Positive comments from everyone from airport valet to Samoan tuner/racers to a Porsche racing equipment vendor. It isn't an economy car, but will comfortably run rings around "sport" SUVs while getting far better mileage than they will. The Swiss Army knife of cars.

Favorite Features

Adjustable suspension, cool headlights, the interior, "Wish I had one" comments from people driving more expensive cars. Surprising other drivers with the speed of this wagon. Can take it to a nice restaurant Friday and load it with pavers on Saturday. Kids love the reading lights.

Suggested Improvements

AoA needs to give dealers better feedback on fixes. Leave it at level 2 for everyday driving and you'll have no suspension problems, replace the (inexpensive) rear rotors and have no more problems with the brakes. Service the transmission (or replace the pump) instead of replacing the tranny.