2001 Audi allroad quattro - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.7L V6 Twin-turbo AWD 6-speed Manual - (26 reviews )
If only...
By sayitisntsew on 01/22/10 12:47 PM (PST)

2001 Audi allroad quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Before 3 of the 4 air suspension bags and air suspension pump failed..the car was fun to drive...there have been so many little things, coupled with the big things- I feel like after 30,000 miles my Audi was nickel and diming me to death...with the air suspension failure (apparently inevitable with this car) I'M DONE!....and I'm not alone, -google Audi forums- EVERYONE hates the KNOWN failures of this car. Wish I had stayed with my old reliable VOLVO.

Tempermental Performer
By LASurf on 05/04/09 18:10 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi allroad quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought mine used with 35K. I've had a few problems from the suspension airbags to drive seals and electrical bugs. Car is now at 70K. It is a highly engineered car that is also intended as a 'rugged' vehicle. Maybe too much for the billing. It can be costly to keep but it does run hard, always looks good and is differentiated even from new cars. It is feature rich and the fit-n-finish quality evident. Depending on driving patterns, off-road etc. the air suspension, brakes and cooling systems can be faulty. You do have the turbo lag and heavy transmission shifting that the manual tiptronic addresses. The car is a beast in wet or snowy conditions and runs well in cold weather and desert.

Beware!
By tom a on 03/18/09 13:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi allroad quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

First, the good news. This car is fun to drive and fits a great niche (like a Volvo XC70 or Outback). Now the bad news. Reliability. Or should I say unreliability. I purchased an allroad certified from the dealer with 30K miles on it. Since then, the car has had probably 15 trips for repairs, totaling over $20,000. Everything you can imagine. The first few years, the dealer covered it. But I've paid out about $10K personally now. Audi needs to get its act together. I hope they do, but this Audi is my last.

Audi Loyalist
By Audi loyalist on 03/27/08 12:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi allroad quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Purchased car used with 48,000 miles but with a six year 100K warranty. Auto has proven to be the most versatile vehicle I have ever owned. Now that the car is getting up in mileage (82,000) I am getting concerned about ownership costs. I had both front air struts replaced at a cost of $2,700 (ouch)and have had two sets of front brake rotors warp and the air bag sensor needed to be replaced, all major items but my extended warranty covered everything except the shocks (coverage expired two weeks before shocks blew). Regardless I have greatly enjoyed the ownership experience and am actually scouring the market for a low mileage 2005 model as no other car on the market comes close.

Learned some things
By lives in car on 11/13/06 20:58 PM (PST)

2001 Audi allroad quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought car used while still under Audi warranty. 110,000 miles on the car now, and no squeaks or rattles. The car isn't as reliable as older Audis I've owned, but more reliable than some cars. Wears tires quickly (a trait of AWD cars) but fat, sticky rubber isn't supposed to last. It is a car that looks like it belongs in a most affluent customer's driveway. Positive comments from everyone from airport valet to Samoan tuner/racers to a Porsche racing equipment vendor. It isn't an economy car, but will comfortably run rings around "sport" SUVs while getting far better mileage than they will. The Swiss Army knife of cars.

Car from HELL!
By Widower on 10/26/06 12:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi allroad quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased the Certified Allroad to replace my wife’s 1999 Lexus RX300 that had zero problems in 90000 miles (65000 when bought). My wife passed away from cancer and it was emotionally difficult for me to drive her car. I thought the Audi would serve a dual purpose of SUV for camping and nice transportation for travel to my children who live several hours away in snowy regions. I underestimated the enormous unreliability. In 18000 miles, it’s had problems with the suspension system (very pricey), the cooling system (shop for 10 days after very frightening breakdown), windshield wipers, transmission, electric windows, airbag system, trim falling off or breaking. Audi has been no help.

Ultimate Snow Car
By Roberto on 07/26/06 14:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi allroad quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have lived in Colorado Ski Country for 47 years and have driven Jeeps, Landrovers, Ford Explorers, BMW's and ugh, yes even a Mercedes. The Audi Allroad with Michelin snow tires is the finest handling snow car in the world! Really!! I drive from Denver to Leadville and to Aspen every week during the winter and navigate multiple 11,000 and 12,00 foot passes all winter; even during the height of three and four foot snowstorms. Trust me, this car has saved us from serious injury at least twice. However, as I approach 90,000 miles, I'm getting very nervous that my 100,000 warrantly is nearing its end.Only serious problem has been the hydraulics. They've been replaced three times on warranty.

Be warned - this car could bankrupt you
By CT driver on 12/28/05 11:44 AM (PST)

2001 Audi allroad quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought this car as an SUV alternative - loved the carlike driving, decent performance and Audi style. Unfortunately, the car has been dreadfully unreliable. We've lost $20,000 in depreciation in 30,000 miles and had over $20,000 of warantee repair work done - thats $40,000 to drive 30,000 miles!! WOW. The list of repairs (covered by Audi but inconvenient to say the least) is too long to fit here: 2 replacement transmissions; new brake rotors every 15,000; new front air suspension at 58,000; front tie rods at 55,000; 2 air flow sensors; 3 hazzard light switches; new radiator at 52,000 miles; steering angle sensor (controls ABS) No racing-no accidents-no excuse for this experience

Great automobile but.......
By Steve on 06/01/05 12:39 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi allroad quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Incredible automobile - styling, design, drivability, etc. Works well for Maine winters. Minor problems along the way BUT no sooner than the 50k/4 yr warranty was over the whole transmission blew! Cost: $5,600 to replace. Audi 'split' the cost and paid 75% while I paid $1,300. Bummer as the lease is almost over and had to fork over some large $$. I got nowhere with AudiUSA on this issue. No good explanation from anyone on the cause of the issue other than 'it occasionally happens'. This is my 2nd Audi - first was a 1998 A6 which I purchased. Decided to lease this one. I'm afraid after 2 tries I'll not purchase another Audi again. I fear the undependability and future costs to maintain it.

What a ride!
By Inquisitor on 09/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi allroad quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had this car for about 3 1/2 years now, and it's been great- the best car I've ever owned. Twin turbo engine mated to AWD and a variable suspension lead to a car both fast (got my first ticket in 10 years in this car) AND utilitarian. I still get looks and the best comment I ever heard was from a little kid who pointed and said, "Daddy, that's a cool-looking car!" Aside from usual wear, there have been very few problems. I'm switching out now, but only because I miss having a manual transmission (which is available for this car- what a mistake not getting it!).