40k-110k review
By boyracer3 on
2007 Audi A8 L quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)
Bought a preowned A8L '07 a couple of years ago. Have put 70K on car since. It has been remarkably reliable. The build quality is excellent. I don't get the gas mileage it promised unless driving over 70. I have all service done at dealership, and have been very surprised at the low cost of maintenance, and the quality of service. Had a new A4 in '07, hated it, swore I'd never buy Audi again, got bad service. Bought the 8 because I needed big and 4WD. Expected many of the same problems I had with the 4, but it is a much better car. And I think Audi is a much better car maker and has made huge efforts to improve customer satisfaction.
Favorite Features
The MMI interface. Nav functions are great, though not as good as the nav on my '12 Q7. Stereo is magnificent. Quiet, smooth, ample back seat for extra passengers. Love the opportunity to drive others around in it. Understated luxury, the car has aged well. Love the Quattro, with the snow tires on it, it behaves very well in conditions that would have given me white knuckles before. I really appreciate the quality of the materials. There in nothing, nothing inside the car that feels or appears plasticky. I'm a big guy, and the drivers seat has been very comfy, and has held up well under heavy use.
Suggested Improvements
The A8L is really long, have to pass up lots of great parking spots, but the back up camera sometimes makes the improbable, possible. Would love to see Audi sell sedans/wagons with the TDI from my '12 Q7. Kinda missed the gurgling exhaust of the S class mercedes and the more nimble feel of the BMW 7 series. The A8 feels heavier and more deliberate than the others, a product of the 4WD, I'm sure. You know its 4WD when you tug at the steering wheel. But Quattro was why I chose Aud in the first place. This car, and Audi by extension, were so impressive that I bought a new Q7 in '12 and I will seriously consider an R8 when the economy turns around.
By laborintensive
on 03/02/13 03:35 AM (PST)

My sister has an A8L and she loves it and now I know why. While visiting, she wanted me to drive. Although it was snowing, it maneuvered quite well. I was also surprised of the roominess of the vehicle. I own a Jag XJ8 and it pales next to this Audi. Oh and the massage chairs, refrigerator, window screens - wow!