Used 2005 Audi A8 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Audi A8 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A8 model:

A8 L worst car ever owned!
By gene gopon

2005 Audi A8 Sedan L W12 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (6.0L 12cyl 6A)

I cannot begin to list all the electrical issues I had with this car. Beginning right after it was delivered. Audi North America gave my wife and me a free weekend at a resort to compensate us for our troubles. I got rid of this car and bought a Mercedes, which I had owned before. Don't let anyone tell you the A8 is as good as the S Class. Simply not true, and Audi service stinks! The final straw for me was when the MMI buttons all stuck and Audi refused to cover it under warranty - both the dealer and Audi North America accused me of spilling something on the console to cause the problem. You will spend a lot of unpleasant time in the Audi dealer service department if you get an A8

Favorite Features

Interior finish.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the electronics. Get rid of all the blind spots by redesigning the window area. Car is huge and there are serious safety issues because of the blind spots caused by pillar placement, window size and rear headrests, which do not drop down.

Best Of Class
By willman

2005 Audi A8 Sedan L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

The Audi A8L is the best 'value for the dollar' vehicle on the road today. Hands down, no contest. Beautiful inside and out in a sophisticated kind of way. Elegant in presentation and powerful of stance. Handles better than any other car in its class. Rain, snow, whatever the weather, drive with complete confidence. Big and strong going down the highway. When those four rings appear quickly in your rearview mirror, MOVE!!!

Favorite Features

ALL OF IT !

Suggested Improvements

Bigger better cupholders. Bigger and higher front armrests.

One problem after another
By Ali

2005 Audi A8 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

From the first moment I got this car it has been in the shop. Over the past two years I have taken this car in 16 times. Problems include navigation inoperable, passenger window makes too much noise, trunk would not close properly, unless force was used. And the car died and would not start at all on one occasion and it was towed to Audi dealership. It took them three days to figure out the battery needed to be replaced. Very surprising that the battery needed to be replaced within the first year. The only good thing I have to report is that service has been accomodating and have provided loaners on every occasion.

Favorite Features

Quattro 4 wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

Quality control needs to be improved significantly.

Total Disaster
By Russell Bobo

2005 Audi A8 Sedan L W12 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (6.0L 12cyl 6A)

We had 2 Audi A6s prior to this new A8L. The A6s were great, so we thought the new A8L would be fabulous. Boy were we wrong. The car has been in the shop 19 times in the last 22 months. It spent the whole month of December 2006 in the shop with the MMI system. It seems to have an electrical gremlin that appears every 2000 miles or 6 weeks, whichever comes first. It has been towed to the dealship twice because it would not crank at all. Audi A8 customer care has not been a big help either. Without a doubt the worst car experience we have ever had.

Favorite Features

Comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Scrap the MMI and start all over. Car has too many computer enhanced features to be reliable.

Outstanding A8L
By William H. Malone II

2005 Audi A8 Sedan L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This my second A8 experience. The first is a 2000 A8 that now has 122000 flawless miles. This is the reason that we purchased the 2005 A8L. Best vehicle that I have ever owned. Outstanding in ALL areas and a complete pleasure to drive. You can keep the BMWs and Mercs. No contest. Audi understands and understates their cars. The car speaks for itself. It shouts 'OUTSTANDING' as it passes everything on the road.

Favorite Features

The complete package. Especially the suspension adjustments.

Suggested Improvements

The A8Ls should all have 19" wheel / tires packages as standard.