2005 Audi A8 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A8 model:
Converted from BMW 7 Owner to Audi 8L
By David G on 11/22/05 00:59 AM (PST)

2005 Audi A8 Sedan L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Had a hard time shifting our loyalty from BMW to any other German car. The Audi 8L was purchased by a brother in law and he raved enough to make us take a look. Fit and finish were outstanding and Audi's version of the iDrive is superior. Great sound, clean lines, and large comfortable interior. Car is quiet, and sophisticated and dealer has been strong. Full maintenance on warranty and All wheel drive = Great!

Big Problems
By Rick on 11/21/05 15:00 PM (PST)

2005 Audi A8 Sedan L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

We have had continual problems with the computer and Advanced Keys. The electricly operated trunk closed on my wife and hurt her, the HVAC is hard to control and does what it wants, the settings are nested inside the unit and are unsafe to operate while driving, the visibility to the rear required removing the rear headrest, the outward side visibility is poor as the mirrors are not wide enough and the pillar and seat back obscure side vision. The dealer cannot fix the problems and Audi has not "escalated" our complaints to where the regional or national reps will get involved. We are tremendously unhappy and Audi has not helped.

Love my car
By Babra Bosch on 10/20/05 22:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Audi A8 Sedan L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

The A8 is simply the most wonderful car I've had in years. I had a 740i before, and I now have an A8L 4.2. It is so much more luxurious- I looked at the BMW and Benz, wasn't particularly spurred, and looked at the Audi. I fell in love. It's so beautiful, so understated, packed with coddling features (massaged seats, alcantara inserts, flip-panel NAV system), and it's more than $3K less than the next cheapest (BMW). The stereo is amazing, and it drives better than my old BMW (an '01 model).

Highly overated
By David on 08/08/05 07:15 AM (PDT)

2005 Audi A8 Sedan L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned this car for almost 1 year. During that time the car has been back for repairs on numerous ocassions.The air conditioner is horrible. It takes 10 minutes on a hot day for the air to begin to cool off, until then a hot blower makes it feel worse. This is the same experience others with the same car say. The dealer says that "everything checks out fine". The car jumps when accelerating from a quick stop. The car has too many computers and there inherent glitches. The display pop up has been replaced, the center dash module replaced, and the navigational unit replaced. The car has a hard ride and is quite frankly overrated and poorly represented by their service people.

Automotive Intelligence - The Audi A8
By BurnoutSurfer on 07/05/05 14:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Audi A8 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Just bought my Audi A8 two weeks ago. It is the short wheel base version with the convienience package, the cold weather package, XM radio, Seat Ventilation & Massage, premium leather with sitching, and everything else that would normally be options, but come standard with Audi. This is automotive engineering, design, and comfort at its absolute pinnacle.

A8
By S Lasser on 06/12/05 13:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Audi A8 Sedan L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is my first Audi. I have one friend who has had his A8 for 7 years and loves it. I recently retired to FL where every trip on the interstate is an exercise in survival, so I was looking for a substantial machine with good handling. I've had my eye on the A8 ever since it was reviewed in Autoweek. I like brand consistency and the fact that the average Joe, me included, has trouble distinguishing an A4 from an A8. My previous car was a 2000 740 which served me well. Stylewise, the new 745 is too in your face for my taste.

Finally Fun and Toys in a Luxury Sedan
By Lu on 06/12/05 08:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Audi A8 Sedan L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I've owned Mercedes, BMW and Lexus sedans. For my money, this is finally a large, luxury sedan that is fun to drive. I'm also a toy fanatic. The Audi has toys of value. No electronics just to demonstrate that the engineers can achieve something. This has toys that make sense!

Impeccable interior and technology
By louis on 06/12/05 08:04 AM (PDT)

2005 Audi A8 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

The moment I test drove the A8 I knew that it was a car that met our high standard of a sedan. We previously owned the S Class Mercedes and found that this car surpassed it in everyway. We enjoy driving the A8 and it is a very comfortable car to drive. Passenger comfort superior in the spacious rear seats. A gem all the way!

Best ever
By connie ehrlich on 05/27/05 19:39 PM (PDT)

2005 Audi A8 Sedan L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

We own Mercedes S600 and 600 SL and rate the Audi superior to both. We will buy the new a8l w12 instead of the s6oo better finish, design and comfort. The heating and air conditioning is unbelievable. We have a total of 30 cars including Rolls Royce, Porsche, Ferrari and GM SUV and pick up but the Audi is the favorite of all. We purchased to take the place of the S600 in the winter when the S600 must be parked with snow on the road. We now find that we will opt to take the Audi as our car of choice.

Best car I've owned
By Bo on 05/07/05 23:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Audi A8 Sedan L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is easily my favorite owned car- beautiful from every angle, performance to beat sports coupes, luxury that would stun a king. I just smile every time I look back at the car, which is often.