Used 2005 Audi A8 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 89 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A8 model:

I love this car
By mike

2005 Audi A8 Sedan L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I bought a certified pre-owned 2005 A8L and have enjoyed every element of this car, from the handling to the styling. I will say that the cost of repairs is high, but probably comparable to others in its class. I had to replace a rear view mirror and one arm rest and was quoted $500 for each repair. I also had an issue with the automatic trunk not staying down. Thankfully my certified warranty covered these items. The car is truly a looker and I still get compliments. I have recently replaced the tires and it drives like new. I love this car.

MMI, comfort, handling, styling, performance, beauty.

My 2005 has the OnStar telematics, which are no longer in service as OnStar disavowed its analog vehicles in 12/07, truly a disappointment. Now I cannot use my integrated telephone. Also, there is no bluetooth for this model year, another disappointment. Audi should kick in for the replacement.

Best car for the money
By theanimala

2005 Audi A8 Sedan L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I loved the A8 since the D3 model was first shown. I waited patiently for the pricing to drop to a level I could afford (preowned). I have had my CPO car for 4 months and 5K miles, and I still love it. It is not as reliable as my 98 Lexus GS400 which had almost nothing go wrong with it after 145K miles. I just had a number of things replaced at the 45K mile service, such as the trunk hinges (common problem), parktronic sensor, airbag sensor, and one softclose door sensor. Even with these little problems, I love the car. No serious issue that will leave you stranded, but still something small that requires a trip to the dealer. I do not regret my choice, regardless.

Interior design and comfort. Ventilated seats are great in the summer. Drives sportier than my GS400, which is supposed to be a sport Lexus. Feels much smaller than it is, while offering supreme comfort.

Ipod connectivity didn't come until 07 (I added it but it was costly). Slightly more power would be a bit more fun. More reasonable service costs (for after warranty ends), rear headrests unadjustable, larger sunroof, better voice activated system, better GPS system.

Happy Owner
By Dave L

2005 Audi A8 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased the A8 to replace a BMW 740I and never looked back. The fit and the finish as well as the ride comfort, overall performance, quiet ride and responsiveness of the A8 have made me happy for the last 31/2 years. After a couple of electronic issues in the first 3 months, I have simply changed the oil and replaced tires. I am ready to downsize to a smaller sedan and will make a beeline to my Audi dealer for the new A5.

Unbelievable car for the money
By Midwest Audi Owner

2005 Audi A8 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Second owner purchase of a loaded 2005 A8 with the standard wheel base (not "L") and 37,000 miles. With the remaining factory warranty then Audi CPO warranty until 2011 combined with the features on this car (keyless entry, power trunk, XM, Parktronics, heated front/rear seats, nav, rain sensing wipers, etc. etc.) this car is an amazing value! My A8 drives both like a sports car and a luxury ride (with the 19" wheels) simultaneously. And, with the attention to detail in the interior, it is hard to get out of the car after the trip is done! Many similarities to the A6 that I traded, but you will quickly notice this is an entirely different car than the A6 platform.

Styling - both exterior and interior are incredibly elegant, yet understated (but still gets attention on the road). Handling is really amazing for the size and girth of the car (the standard wheel base helps too!). Adaptive air supsension is cool. Electronics (MMI interface) intuitive and robust

Germans and drink holders simply do not go together!

Don't buy the Audi
By Audi Owner

2005 Audi A8 Sedan L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned the car for nearly 4 years. The electronics in car have been a mess. It has been in the shop over a dozen times and they still can not seem to get it right. Many of the problems are episodic and not constant. At times, the lights will not go off unless you restart the car and drive it around for a few minutes before turning it off. At other times it will tell you a tire is low on air pressure when it is fine. I have given up on trying to get them to fix it and will be disposing of it for a Lexus. Don't buy one. They look great but the reliability is just not there.

Quatro drive is great in the snow and bad weather

Fix the electronics