2005 Audi A8 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A8 model:
Poor Quality
By Poor Quality on 07/23/09 16:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Audi A8 L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased a certified pre-owned with 25k miles. Has been in the dealer 17 times within a little over a year of ownership: sunroof not closing, improperly designed thermostat (Audi's words not mine), Software controller staying and draining battery ($450 to replace, not covered under warranty).

Oh yea
By SSG T on 01/31/09 08:58 AM (PST)

2005 Audi A8 L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Just bought a used A8L Quatrro.Man This thing is fantastic. Never owned a luxury car before,and now I know what I have been missing. The soft market on these vehicles put them in reach for those of us with the "beer pocket". I am hooked. Handling is wonderful and the power from the 4.2 is plenty for any American highway. I had to study the owners manual while I sat in the car and go step by step over all the systems. There are a lot of buttons and dials and submenus to learn. If you buy one of these cars take the time to learn it inside and out. It will make the experience so much better

I love this car
By mike on 01/26/09 15:49 PM (PST)

2005 Audi A8 L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I bought a certified pre-owned 2005 A8L and have enjoyed every element of this car, from the handling to the styling. I will say that the cost of repairs is high, but probably comparable to others in its class. I had to replace a rear view mirror and one arm rest and was quoted $500 for each repair. I also had an issue with the automatic trunk not staying down. Thankfully my certified warranty covered these items. The car is truly a looker and I still get compliments. I have recently replaced the tires and it drives like new. I love this car.

Best car for the money
By theanimala on 11/25/08 16:27 PM (PST)

2005 Audi A8 L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I loved the A8 since the D3 model was first shown. I waited patiently for the pricing to drop to a level I could afford (preowned). I have had my CPO car for 4 months and 5K miles, and I still love it. It is not as reliable as my 98 Lexus GS400 which had almost nothing go wrong with it after 145K miles. I just had a number of things replaced at the 45K mile service, such as the trunk hinges (common problem), parktronic sensor, airbag sensor, and one softclose door sensor. Even with these little problems, I love the car. No serious issue that will leave you stranded, but still something small that requires a trip to the dealer. I do not regret my choice, regardless.

Don't buy the Audi
By Audi Owner on 07/05/08 07:34 AM (PDT)

2005 Audi A8 L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned the car for nearly 4 years. The electronics in car have been a mess. It has been in the shop over a dozen times and they still can not seem to get it right. Many of the problems are episodic and not constant. At times, the lights will not go off unless you restart the car and drive it around for a few minutes before turning it off. At other times it will tell you a tire is low on air pressure when it is fine. I have given up on trying to get them to fix it and will be disposing of it for a Lexus. Don't buy one. They look great but the reliability is just not there.

My Wife Will Miss Me
By Reggie in Atlanta on 06/16/08 18:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Audi A8 L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I love my wife. I really do. I try to miss her as I drive my A8 (that I just purchase 3 days ago). So far, no luck! This is an amazing car. Mine is black and loaded with every available option. 36k miles, lease turn in, certified w/ 6yr-100kmile warranty. Used is the way to go; especially if you aren't completely sold on the new grille yet. I have owned a 1999 A8 and a 2001 A6 (for the aforementioned wife). Enjoying this one and looking forward to the next one.

Best Of Class
By willman on 10/11/07 04:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Audi A8 L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

The Audi A8L is the best 'value for the dollar' vehicle on the road today. Hands down, no contest. Beautiful inside and out in a sophisticated kind of way. Elegant in presentation and powerful of stance. Handles better than any other car in its class. Rain, snow, whatever the weather, drive with complete confidence. Big and strong going down the highway. When those four rings appear quickly in your rearview mirror, MOVE!!!

Outstanding A8L
By William H. Malone II on 06/19/07 10:15 AM (PDT)

2005 Audi A8 L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This my second A8 experience. The first is a 2000 A8 that now has 122000 flawless miles. This is the reason that we purchased the 2005 A8L. Best vehicle that I have ever owned. Outstanding in ALL areas and a complete pleasure to drive. You can keep the BMWs and Mercs. No contest. Audi understands and understates their cars. The car speaks for itself. It shouts 'OUTSTANDING' as it passes everything on the road.

Finally a competitor to big Germans
By nick on 06/18/07 20:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Audi A8 L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Gorgeous body, fit and finish. Impressive looks, great engine, agile, stately, big but easy to drive like a midsize sedan. Few flaws however: CD changer in the glove compartment must go, bad location for cup holders, short lived original equipment tires (Continental CH95), problems with automated trunk, immediately after purchase navigation upgrade was issued for $299 (should be covered at least for a year or upgraded with a discount).

A luxury sedan wannabe
By ggill on 05/15/07 14:35 PM (PDT)

2005 Audi A8 L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I've had problems with this car ever since it was delivered. Immediately had a problem with the instrument cluster. Outside temp read below zero, so a/c would not work. Transmission noise required 10 days in shop to fix. Had several recalls. Now electronic controls (MMI) don't work. Although still under warranty, Audi wants me to pay, so they can pull and inspect unit before covering. If you call their customer service center in Michigan, be prepared for a long wait before you can speak with an "advocate", and expect a poor result. I'm buying a Lexus 460, and pity whoever buys my used Audi.