Used 2003 Audi A8 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Audi A8 - Consumer Reviews

2003 Audi A8

View reviews for a specific A8 model:

Please do not buy this Audi!
By Do not like my Audi

2003 Audi A8 L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

I bought the Audi A8L about 14-15 months ago. It STINKS. I am actually going to sell it. One thing after another breaks. Two Audi places cannot figure out what's wrong with the sensors that monitor the tire pressure. The window regulator broke, the adjustable headrests broke on 2 seats, the adjustable lumbar support broke on 2 seats, and MORE. The car is not reliable. The driver controls are NOT well thought out. The NAV STINKS, none of the controls are self explanatory, you cannot see the display with polarized glasses on if you are in the driver's seat. The speakers are not that good, the responsiveness is not good, and gas mileage is BAD. I could go on!

Favorite Features

Dual climate control, heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

MUCH more reliable, easier to use NAV and other info systems.

Simply Outstanding Auto
By Fanning

2003 Audi A8 L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

This is my fourth Audi, my second A8, this time an A8L with most of the options. Best automobile I have ever owned and operated. Quiet, sure-footed, solid vehicle that pampers the occupants in sumptuous surroundings. Contrary to some reviews, I find this car to be quite economical regarding gas consumption as I am getting between 34 and 37 mpg cruising at 60 mph (100 kmh). City mileage around 20 mpg. At 44000 km (27000 mi) changed tires for Michelin Pilot A/S. Any complaints about rough ride and road noise evaporated with the new rubber.

Favorite Features

Engine and tranny, sound system, fit and finish and cabin comfort and layout are all top of the line. Quattro AWD leaves all others in your dust in summer and stuck in the snow in winter. Outstanding automobile. Will stay with Audi.

Suggested Improvements

High end Michelin tires should be the standard on this machine. Anything else just isn't worthy of the car.

Give me a brake (yes brake)
By Gerald Krassner

2003 Audi A8 L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

To be in the big league price category you need a reliable well riding automobile. My A8L had brakes replaced 4 times in 50,000 miles. Navigation had to be replaced. Tire pressuer monitor never worked properly. I disconnected it. The timing chain had to be replaced at 51,000 miles. Noise level high, I used to think a window was open. Still do. Forget about the suspension, My sons Civic takes the bumps better as well as the curves.

Favorite Features

Great engine and tranny. More than enough power. Sound system wonderful. Navigation pretty good . Air condition and heat excellent. Love the rear sun shade. Plenty of room front and rear.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension system needs major overhaul. What about those brakes? How about a good safe cup holder?

Excellent stealth vehicle
By Beli

2003 Audi A8 L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

I like everything about this car, except navigation sistem. Car is very smooth and quiet, and my kids really like all that space on the back seats. I never had any problems with vehicle, and was in service only for regular maintenance. It's excellent car without to much bling-bling.

Favorite Features

Must be solar sunroof, when you live in Arizona.

excellent driving
By cape cod

2003 Audi A8 L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

The A8L(2003) is one of the finest cars on the road today bar none.Performance is well balanced for a car of 2.2tons. the ride Quality is excellent it's fit and finish are also excellent I longer I own it the more I enjoy it. Cape Cod