2000 Audi A8 Consumer Review: Unbelieveably Bad Experience

2000 Audi A8 - Consumer Review

quattro Sedan (4.2L V8 AWD 5-speed Automatic)

Unbelieveably Bad Experience
By paul on

2000 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I've always loved the A8 and was pleased as punch when I finally found mine. But I've had nothing but trouble from this car. A year after purchase the 'check engine' idiot light came high. Audi diagnosed it as a bad tank of gas and reset it. A few months later, same thing. I wanted a true diagnosis. $4300 in diagnostic fees later, it's diagnosed as a broken valve spring requiring the heads be removed. Just this past week (May 2005) the steering started making noise. This diagnosis? An irreplaceable bearing in the electronic steering column -- the entire column needs to be replaced. The cost? Estimated at $2200.... Audi offered blue book on a trade, I declined. I'm turning Japanese.

It's a beautiful car. No other car has the looks of the A8. Absolutely stunning. Performance and comfort are what you expect in the ultra premium segment. If you're in the market for the A8, find one with Audi's extended warranty. Don't consider one without it.

I understand there are lemons -- cars not indicative of the entire marque -- and that's what I believe I purchased. I still love the looks, performance, and comfort of the A8, but will never own another Audi. This car has cost me almost 25% of its purchase price in repairs in two years. Good luck.