Used 2000 Audi A8 quattro Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Audi A8 - Consumer Reviews

2000 Audi A8

View reviews for a specific A8 model:

Excellent car, but be warned..
By Jeremy

2000 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I purchased my A8 used w/ 56K. It handles wonderfully for a large sedan and I average about 17/25 on premium fuel. I have found it to be both sophisticated and understated; and if you are looking for such a vehicle, it should be verboten for one not to at least consider the A8. That being said, I have had reliability issues. My thermostat had to be replaced, which required replacing the t and s belts, as well as the water pump, the CV boot tore causing my brake pad light to go off (?), my driver's interior door handle randomly broke and my radio randomly died. I have spent nearly $3,000 in the last yr. on this vehicle.

Ski sock, Bose audio, engine, winter handling (with snow tires), superb V8 engine, heated seats.

Needs another front cupholder; DO NOT use the rear holders unless you want frapuccino-colored leather seats. The Zach Morris analog phone and the CD ROM nav are so 90s.

Audi A8
By R Swanson

2000 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Best car I have ever driven. This car is glued to the road. Shines at speeds above 85 mph. Very comfortable long distace cruiser. Exceptional on slippery surfaces.

Handling, performance, comfort, style.

Trunk is way too small. Cupholder is a joke

Unbelieveably Bad Experience
By paul

2000 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I've always loved the A8 and was pleased as punch when I finally found mine. But I've had nothing but trouble from this car. A year after purchase the 'check engine' idiot light came high. Audi diagnosed it as a bad tank of gas and reset it. A few months later, same thing. I wanted a true diagnosis. $4300 in diagnostic fees later, it's diagnosed as a broken valve spring requiring the heads be removed. Just this past week (May 2005) the steering started making noise. This diagnosis? An irreplaceable bearing in the electronic steering column -- the entire column needs to be replaced. The cost? Estimated at $2200.... Audi offered blue book on a trade, I declined. I'm turning Japanese.

It's a beautiful car. No other car has the looks of the A8. Absolutely stunning. Performance and comfort are what you expect in the ultra premium segment. If you're in the market for the A8, find one with Audi's extended warranty. Don't consider one without it.

I understand there are lemons -- cars not indicative of the entire marque -- and that's what I believe I purchased. I still love the looks, performance, and comfort of the A8, but will never own another Audi. This car has cost me almost 25% of its purchase price in repairs in two years. Good luck.

Drive of a lifetime
By lepin

2000 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I never owned a car like this but I couldn't resist when I drove it. It feels as roomy as a Town Car but handles like a Porsche. The only quibbles are the one small drink holder and the cheap plastic buttons to open the trunk and set the seat memory. I will own this car forever if I can.

More drink holders. Better buttons.

Audi A8 -- great for mountain living
By MEBalk

2000 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Living in the mountains of Colorado,
where we contend with steep climbs and
snowy weather, the Audi A8 is as good
as a sedan can get. It's got the power,
traction, looks, room and reliability
that a top of the line luxury sedan
should deliver.

Solid reliability, not only in the sense of mechanical maintenance but also for traction in tight spots and the highway power when needed.

Rear view mirrors and general visibility from behind could use improvement.