2000 Audi A8 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A8 model:
Excellent car, but be warned..
By Jeremy on 12/12/07 15:09 PM (PST)

2000 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I purchased my A8 used w/ 56K. It handles wonderfully for a large sedan and I average about 17/25 on premium fuel. I have found it to be both sophisticated and understated; and if you are looking for such a vehicle, it should be verboten for one not to at least consider the A8. That being said, I have had reliability issues. My thermostat had to be replaced, which required replacing the t and s belts, as well as the water pump, the CV boot tore causing my brake pad light to go off (?), my driver's interior door handle randomly broke and my radio randomly died. I have spent nearly $3,000 in the last yr. on this vehicle.

Love at first drive
By doc on 06/21/06 22:40 PM (PDT)

2000 Audi A8 L quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

What an awesome car. After owning an Audi 5000, I never expected to buy another Audi, but renting an A4 in Europe convinced me that Audi has come a long way. The first thing that attracted me to the A8 was the superbly understated styling. Once I drove it I was hooked! It is the finest car I have ever driven. It is luxurious in a subtle way which perfectly suits my style. I like that it is relatively scarce, but surprised it isn't a bigger seller. I especially like the light agile but confident feeling I get from this aluminum bodied all wheel driver.

Audi A8
By R Swanson on 08/29/05 17:21 PM (PDT)

2000 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Best car I have ever driven. This car is glued to the road. Shines at speeds above 85 mph. Very comfortable long distace cruiser. Exceptional on slippery surfaces.

Unbelieveably Bad Experience
By paul on 05/21/05 17:50 PM (PDT)

2000 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I've always loved the A8 and was pleased as punch when I finally found mine. But I've had nothing but trouble from this car. A year after purchase the 'check engine' idiot light came high. Audi diagnosed it as a bad tank of gas and reset it. A few months later, same thing. I wanted a true diagnosis. $4300 in diagnostic fees later, it's diagnosed as a broken valve spring requiring the heads be removed. Just this past week (May 2005) the steering started making noise. This diagnosis? An irreplaceable bearing in the electronic steering column -- the entire column needs to be replaced. The cost? Estimated at $2200.... Audi offered blue book on a trade, I declined. I'm turning Japanese.

Drive of a lifetime
By lepin on 05/21/05 08:39 AM (PDT)

2000 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I never owned a car like this but I couldn't resist when I drove it. It feels as roomy as a Town Car but handles like a Porsche. The only quibbles are the one small drink holder and the cheap plastic buttons to open the trunk and set the seat memory. I will own this car forever if I can.

Understated and Overlooked
By Jrock on 05/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Audi A8 L quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Great car (bought used with 33,000 miles). Dealer was fantastic. Only item I will be changing are the tires which (Goodyear Eagles) are noisy. Car is very classy but yet understated.

Audi A8 -- great for mountain living
By MEBalk on 07/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Living in the mountains of Colorado, where we contend with steep climbs and snowy weather, the Audi A8 is as good as a sedan can get. It's got the power, traction, looks, room and reliability that a top of the line luxury sedan should deliver.

This is a Great Automobile
By Filmpros on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

In the past 4 years I have owned the Mercedes S Class, Merceded AMG E-55, Lexus GS, BMW 7 Series, and a Toyota Land Cruiser (which I still own and is by far the best 4 wheel drive truck on the planet). This Audi impresses me when compared to the other vehicles I have owned. The performance, handling, and build quality are all excellent. I even like the understated design.

Effortless grace -- and eat my dust too.
By chrisjh on 09/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Audi A8 L quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

It does what you want when you want it with effortless grace and composure. Communicative under all circumstances. How can such a large car be so damn good, work so well, feel so good, catch so many looks and gestures/comments of appreciation -- it's magical.

Purchase off lease & happy
By joebert on 07/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I just purchased my A8 off lease. It is by far the best luxury size car I've ever driven - Compared it to the BMW 740 an Mercedes. It has unbeliveable gas mileage for a 310 hp V8, a subtle but nice interior, great acceleration, great ride & handling and all time 4WD for those ski trips. The Bose sound system is exceptional an the navigation system is easy to use and accurate. The exterior design is a bit conservative but I like the understated affluence.