1999 Audi A8 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A8 model:
1999 Audi A8
By audi99 on 07/19/13 08:30 AM (PDT)

1999 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Great Car. I have owned this car since 2000 with 18,000 miles and now have 152,000. I have minor repairs done to this car like a few of the 4 ball joints that are on both sides of the car. Cruise control brake switch and thermostat. The front seat is sagging a little bit and I may take it apart to adjust. The center arm rest broke so I repaired it myself. I replaced the timing belt and water pump at 100,000. I recommend changing the thermostat at same time as timing belt and water pump. I have not had any transmission problems and I have not changed transmission fluid. I don't drive it hard and fast and that policy seems to help longevity of any car.

130K and STILL going strong...
By pocketchange on 04/10/13 09:35 AM (PDT)

1999 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

After two years of ownership I have no complaints. When first purchased I decided to replace or rebuild all the systems sos not to have any concerns for a few years. Having little service history I continue to think this was a positive move in spite of the moneys spent. My greatest problem was locating a clean example of an A8 (this took months) due to their limited numbers and dubious ownership. For my limited investment, I am more than pleased with this very fine example of German craftsmanship.

1999 Audi A8
By Paul on 11/11/09 08:19 AM (PST)

1999 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Drives like a dream. Good handling. You have to step on the gas when taking off from a stop but once going, it's ready to fly. Very comfortable especially on long trips. Expensive to repair. Lots of features to go wrong. It has 3 or 4 ball joints per side. I replaced 3 one side. The arm rest just broke and I haven't priced that out but I heard it could cost up to $500. I'll look for a used one. Recommended timing belt change between 80K and 100K cost was around $2K. I bought it with 18,000 miles and now have 102,000. It looks and feels better than most new cars. The blue book is only around $7K. I think it would be a steal at that price.

78,000 miles, 10 years old, Still Great
By Larry Vale on 06/02/09 15:15 PM (PDT)

1999 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I've had no problems besides the front rack a few years ago. ($2k). Just scheduled maintenance involved and PM changing the transmission filter and fluid a few weeks ago. No door dings or rust with the Alum body. No squeaks or rattles either. Undervalued in the market.

Deep pockets required
By nomoreaudi on 02/26/06 14:52 PM (PST)

1999 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

A beautiful car; smooth and quiet ride. Was looking forward to several years of ownership and driving pleasure. However, transmission trouble, numerous MIL error codes and gasket leaks generated enormous shop bills, (primarily the labor to diagnose problem & access components for servicing). There are few options for service outside of the dealer network. Yet, dealers and independent shops that specialize in German automobile service alike seemed puzzled by some of the issues this car presented. At purchase time, it looked like a bargain in comparison to the Lexus LS400. However, long term cost of ownership is outrageous. 1 year repair/maint. costs exceeded $7K with no end in sight.

Cost of Disappointment
By Blair on 01/21/06 23:35 PM (PST)

1999 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This car, while I love the styling and driving it, is the largest disappointment I have ever had in a car. In the 19 months or so that I have had the car, I have had over $12K in repairs in the car. Between depreciation and cost of repairs, the car has cost me nearly $2K a month to drive, not including gas and insurance. I could have gotten a new BMW if I had wanted to pay that kind of money each month. The transmission went out on the car at 92K miles and it is $5500 to replace through Audi. Nothing from Audi has more than a 12 month/12K mile warrantee. That is pitiful considering the cost and that there are no other replacements.

Sad state of affairs
By Audi Owner on 06/06/05 21:34 PM (PDT)

1999 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

These cars are really nice cars, however this particular model (mabye not the newer ones) has depreciated GREATLY over the years and has a ton of mechanical problems that are out of warranty and not cheap to fix. BEWARE of having to fix this car, it will NOT be cheap. That being said, it is a great car to drive and looks and handles very well.

BMwho?
By mtalinm on 02/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Used to be a BMW nut, but now those double- kidney-grille vehicles just give me the creeps. The A8 has erased any former affection for the Bavarian creature. Audi is where it's at. Faster and more comfortable than 740i, but much more subtle.

Brilliant
By 007ab on 02/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This car is brilliant in design and execution. It is a spoiler for sure. Currently in the body shop due to a person not looking before backing from their parking space. I miss driving it.

160000 miles Just like new
By tire on 12/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Just keeps rolling along. No repairs, normal maintence, 160000 miles. Still makes 23 miles to a gallon.