Used 1999 Audi A8 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Audi A8 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A8 model:

By audi99

1999 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Great Car. I have owned this car since 2000 with 18,000 miles and now have 152,000. I have minor repairs done to this car like a few of the 4 ball joints that are on both sides of the car. Cruise control brake switch and thermostat. The front seat is sagging a little bit and I may take it apart to adjust. The center arm rest broke so I repaired it myself. I replaced the timing belt and water pump at 100,000. I recommend changing the thermostat at same time as timing belt and water pump. I have not had any transmission problems and I have not changed transmission fluid. I don't drive it hard and fast and that policy seems to help longevity of any car.

Favorite Features

The fit and finish are excellent on this car. The paint on this car is awesome and still looks like new. I wax it twice a year. The ride is excellent and quiet. The sound system is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Larger Drink holders.

130K and STILL going strong...
By pocketchange

1999 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

After two years of ownership I have no complaints. When first purchased I decided to replace or rebuild all the systems sos not to have any concerns for a few years. Having little service history I continue to think this was a positive move in spite of the moneys spent. My greatest problem was locating a clean example of an A8 (this took months) due to their limited numbers and dubious ownership. For my limited investment, I am more than pleased with this very fine example of German craftsmanship.

Favorite Features

Value.. this Audi has to be driven to be appreciated. Interior layout is logical with fit and finish that is in a class unto itself. As for performance and fuel economy, I tend to putt more than mat the throttle. Getting in trouble is a big option to keep in mind, along with the cost of premium fuel. The 4.2L V8 is a sewing machine with the pull of a locomotive. Since I've made (all) the repairs, dealing with washing the A8 is my only concern.

Suggested Improvements

Yearly cleaning of the AC drains is my only problem. Once this has has been addressed I would like to open the glove box and find a fresh $100 every day. This is a very nice ride.

By Paul

1999 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Drives like a dream. Good handling. You have to step on the gas when taking off from a stop but once going, it's ready to fly. Very comfortable especially on long trips. Expensive to repair. Lots of features to go wrong. It has 3 or 4 ball joints per side. I replaced 3 one side. The arm rest just broke and I haven't priced that out but I heard it could cost up to $500. I'll look for a used one. Recommended timing belt change between 80K and 100K cost was around $2K. I bought it with 18,000 miles and now have 102,000. It looks and feels better than most new cars. The blue book is only around $7K. I think it would be a steal at that price.

Favorite Features

It is the most comfortable and best built car I have owned. Not one rattle. The sound system and quattro drive are great.

Suggested Improvements

Cheaper replacement part cost. Automatic head lights. Sunglass holder in front of moon roof. Automatic garage door opener like my A6 had.

78,000 miles, 10 years old, Still Great
By Larry Vale

1999 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I've had no problems besides the front rack a few years ago. ($2k). Just scheduled maintenance involved and PM changing the transmission filter and fluid a few weeks ago. No door dings or rust with the Alum body. No squeaks or rattles either. Undervalued in the market.

Favorite Features

Very tight nimble feel.

Deep pockets required
By nomoreaudi

1999 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

A beautiful car; smooth and quiet ride. Was looking forward to several years of ownership and driving pleasure. However, transmission trouble, numerous MIL error codes and gasket leaks generated enormous shop bills, (primarily the labor to diagnose problem & access components for servicing). There are few options for service outside of the dealer network. Yet, dealers and independent shops that specialize in German automobile service alike seemed puzzled by some of the issues this car presented. At purchase time, it looked like a bargain in comparison to the Lexus LS400. However, long term cost of ownership is outrageous. 1 year repair/maint. costs exceeded $7K with no end in sight.

Favorite Features

Timeless exterior styling; roomy, comfortable interior. Smoothest, quietest ride I've ever experienced. 300hp delivers awesome performance on highway. Fuel economy not bad for a car of this size/strength. AWD great in snow, though little clearance. A pleasure to drive, when it felt like running

Suggested Improvements

Absolutely must improve on long term mechanical reliability. Can't hold a candle to Lexus in that regard. In fact, most American cars fare better mechanically at 80K miles. Parts hard to come by; too few service options. Don't need/want a car that spends ~20% of its time on a lift in the shop.