1998 Audi A8 Consumer Review: A8 for life

1998 Audi A8 - Consumer Review

quattro Sedan (4.2L V8 AWD 5-speed Automatic)

A8 for life
By Steve on

1998 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Yes I did buy a used A8 with 85k miles and started with tires, checkup, belts- waterpump-timing chains with my Audi machanic of 15 years. I started to drive 100+ miles daily and never stopped. This car needs to drive to stay fit and clean. If you do a lot of short trips and cannot open this beauty up on the highway then this is not the car for you. I now have 122k on my second year and other than a few pesky oil or water drips from the water pump side of the engine, the car is a 10. I drive fast (80-90+) when on the highway but city driving is also just fine. Good mileage in the 20-23 mpg depending on speed but the all around average is 21.

Favorite Features

The interior is perfect, seats firm and comfortable, controls are good and driver view is excellent. You feel very safe in all areas. The size feels smaller than it is large footprint. You could rent space in the trunk, enjoy the space and ski door.

Suggested Improvements

This year has a weak arm rest that is very expensive to repair. Engine compartment light would be nice and the trunk light is weak. The trans filter and oils needs to be changed every year. The 5 speed auto searches for a torquier gear while coasting. It needs attention but does not affect car.