1998 Audi A8 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A8 model:
Fun To Drive but Unreliable
By EricSF on 08/10/09 12:55 PM (PDT)

1998 Audi A8 4dr Sedan

I've owned two A8s. One I bought new when the L version first came out in 2000 or 2001. It was a lemon so I sued Audi and got all my money back. I loved driving the car and thought this was an exception so I bought a precertified 1998 A8. Since then I have replaced millions of things. From the transmission (died at 86K) all the engine seals, all the suspension parts, oil cooler twice, fan, heater core (expensive!) etc. I still drive the car since I like it and it is cheaper than buying a new one since I don't like the current body style. I don't have a high opinion of build quality, but it is a great car and gas mileage is pretty good. Use the tiptronic for freeway driving 20% better economy.

Love my quattro A8
By gail on 05/26/09 11:01 AM (PDT)

1998 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Love my A8. It now has 180,000 miles and going strong, great on highway. Have kept up with maintenance schedule and it still runs and looks like new but my kids said to sell it for a new one as I have had the same car for 10 yrs. I will be buying another Audi.

Stef's A8
By STEFAN SMIT on 05/20/08 10:20 AM (PDT)

1998 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

After owning numerous BMW's and driving a lot more other cars in the past twelve years, this car is a revelation. I never thought that an Audi will give me so much driving pleasure plus doing it in utmost comfort and style. It is certainly a very beautiful car.

Quattro
By Lambillotte on 04/05/07 12:47 PM (PDT)

1998 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Well built and high roadability particularly in northern climates where the quattro really helps. Hardly any minor defects. Excellent fit and finish. Only drawback was that at 150,000 miles had several expensive repairs that were not routine maintenance including failure of the power windows, pulley bearing failures and computer controls failure.

A8 for life
By Steve on 12/22/06 14:31 PM (PST)

1998 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Yes I did buy a used A8 with 85k miles and started with tires, checkup, belts- waterpump-timing chains with my Audi machanic of 15 years. I started to drive 100+ miles daily and never stopped. This car needs to drive to stay fit and clean. If you do a lot of short trips and cannot open this beauty up on the highway then this is not the car for you. I now have 122k on my second year and other than a few pesky oil or water drips from the water pump side of the engine, the car is a 10. I drive fast (80-90+) when on the highway but city driving is also just fine. Good mileage in the 20-23 mpg depending on speed but the all around average is 21.

Poor visability and Arrogant Audi
By norwind on 08/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Safety issues are my main complaints. An accident when I was run off the road into a 4'deep drainage ditch. $30,000s worth of damage and the passengers airbag fired with no passenger in the vehicle or anything on the passengers seat. Audi claims this is "normal" I do not think so a smart interlocked air bag is not a maybe situation. The external vision has far too many blind spots from tiny mirrors, large A and C pillers. In addition the rear seat head bolsters occupy about 30% of the usable visability when looking to the rear while backing up. The most important part of the rear window is the mid point down.

The Perfect Sleeper
By svxit on 08/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This car is fast, comfortable, low-key and generally a joy to drive. For a car with a 300 hp v-8 and all-wheel drive, it has an unbelievable range on the highway. And because of the car's rarity, it's not nearly as likely to "walk off" (get stolen) as a Camry or Accord. Also, because these cars depreciated so heavily, they are a fantastic buy.

Audi Won My Heart with My 1st A6
By Ric D on 03/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

If you like nice, you'll love your Audi, whether you purchase the A4, A6 or A8. I have moved up the chain as my family and resources have grown. The Aluminum frame is what sold me. Only three other cars have done this.Ferrari, Lambroghini and The Acura NSX. The appointments leave nothing to be desired. If I had anything to say, the first would be the exterior design. I feel that have not made enough updates o change the lines with the times, but many people feel it is classic.

Should be illegal in US
By pjbrady on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I've had this car since 2002 and it's amazing. FUN, FUN, FUN to drive for such a large car. The engine is so powerful, it should be illegal in the United States (I'm glad it's not). For a car of this size, the space frame makes it feel incredible light and nimble, but solid as a rock. I live in the mountains of Utah and the Quattro is a must have. I forsee myself buying A8's for many years to come.

Used A8 is great value
By PaulP on 09/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought a Quattro A8 that had just come off a lease, and find that it is a great car. Two years later, I now have 96K miles on it with only a few minor electrical glitches (outside mirror motor). The quality and performance is superb.