Used 1997 Audi A8 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Audi A8 - Consumer Reviews

1997 Audi A8 Sedan

View reviews for a specific A8 model:

Ugly but overall a great car
By felipe444444

1997 Audi A8 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I just reached 200,000 miles on my car it runs well very comfy and very fun to drive a great car for student drivers

Audi A8
By Anonymous

1997 Audi A8 Sedan quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Very well engineered car. Interior is awesome. Leather is still soft, no rattles, everything works, very solid car. Engine is teriffic. Smooth, quiet, with enough power to get you where you are going. Suspension is a little loose for my tastes, but very smooth over bumps. Steering is feather light and very nice. Transmission had failed at 170k. Not unexpectedly with the D2 A8. Tranny shifts are slow and tall gearing can make the car feel slow when not in the correct gear. Fuel mileage is great for a car this big at about 25 mpg average when using cruise most of the time. I've had to replace a couple of things here and there but nothing out of the ordinary.

Favorite Features

Interior, Quattro, Aluminum chassis

Suggested Improvements

Maintenance costs, transmission weakness.

Maybe the only 3.7 model left in USA?
By Geoff

1997 Audi A8 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought mine used in 2002, have driven it 80,000 miles since. Build quality, handling, performance are great. Many small things have failed though, and at 170K miles it's on its third transmission (!). No other mechanical issues though. The engine is fantastic, still tight and strong and using no oil. I've driven the 4.2 AWD models as well, and I have to say I prefer the handling of my FWD 3.7 model. Weight is only 3600 lbs, about the same as a Subaru WRX. The 3.7 seems to have virtually disappeared from the roads now, though. At current rock-bottom prices these are a stupendous bargain.

Favorite Features

Handling, performance, interior and exterior build quality, mechanical durability (with notable exception of the transmission)

Suggested Improvements

A more durable gearbox

An automotive jewell!
By jojo mojo

1997 Audi A8 Sedan quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I purchased a used '97 Quattro with all extras - winter, hot weather and convenience packages. On top of that the Nav system is upgraded to the Euro version with a big screen in the center console, as well as 3 10" subs in the trunk. All I need is a Phatnoise MP3 player in place of the CD changer, and a fridge, and I can live in this car. :)) Learn how to do small repairs and you'll avoid the dealer charges. I just replaced valve cover gasket myself - $60 for parts (not from the dealer - plenty websites sell original parts) and two hours because I took my time. I change my oil, brakes, sparkplugs, and other simple maintenance!

Favorite Features

Powerful engine, heated seats and steering wheel, navigation, dual zone climate control, Bose sound system. Purchase the Vag-Com and you can mess with any of the car's computers! Make your windows go up and down using your remote :)) Overall, an awesome car. I would recommend to anyone any day!!!

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is lower than stated (at least mine is).

LOVE THIS CAR!!!!
By KD

1997 Audi A8 Sedan quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I purchased this car new. I feel it is an AWESOME car, the experience to have this car will stay in my memory forever. I LOVE the way it drives, very powerful and solid, can move QUICKLY when needed and beautiful inside and out! I can't imagine driving another car!

Favorite Features

Solar panel, heated seats heated steering wheel. FAST FAST FAST & FUN

Suggested Improvements

Lower maintenance costs! Even at 8 years old this car is expensive to keep up- oil changes run $120 brakes $2000 but when I have it back it was all worth the costs:)