1997 Audi A8 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A8 model:
Audi A8
By Anonymous on 12/06/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Audi A8 Sedan quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Very well engineered car. Interior is awesome. Leather is still soft, no rattles, everything works, very solid car. Engine is teriffic. Smooth, quiet, with enough power to get you where you are going. Suspension is a little loose for my tastes, but very smooth over bumps. Steering is feather light and very nice. Transmission had failed at 170k. Not unexpectedly with the D2 A8. Tranny shifts are slow and tall gearing can make the car feel slow when not in the correct gear. Fuel mileage is great for a car this big at about 25 mpg average when using cruise most of the time. I've had to replace a couple of things here and there but nothing out of the ordinary.

Maybe the only 3.7 model left in USA?
By Geoff on 04/10/10 11:08 AM (PDT)

1997 Audi A8 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought mine used in 2002, have driven it 80,000 miles since. Build quality, handling, performance are great. Many small things have failed though, and at 170K miles it's on its third transmission (!). No other mechanical issues though. The engine is fantastic, still tight and strong and using no oil. I've driven the 4.2 AWD models as well, and I have to say I prefer the handling of my FWD 3.7 model. Weight is only 3600 lbs, about the same as a Subaru WRX. The 3.7 seems to have virtually disappeared from the roads now, though. At current rock-bottom prices these are a stupendous bargain.

An automotive jewell!
By jojo mojo on 12/20/06 13:05 PM (PST)

1997 Audi A8 Sedan quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I purchased a used '97 Quattro with all extras - winter, hot weather and convenience packages. On top of that the Nav system is upgraded to the Euro version with a big screen in the center console, as well as 3 10" subs in the trunk. All I need is a Phatnoise MP3 player in place of the CD changer, and a fridge, and I can live in this car. :)) Learn how to do small repairs and you'll avoid the dealer charges. I just replaced valve cover gasket myself - $60 for parts (not from the dealer - plenty websites sell original parts) and two hours because I took my time. I change my oil, brakes, sparkplugs, and other simple maintenance!

LOVE THIS CAR!!!!
By KD on 08/05/06 12:49 PM (PDT)

1997 Audi A8 Sedan quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I purchased this car new. I feel it is an AWESOME car, the experience to have this car will stay in my memory forever. I LOVE the way it drives, very powerful and solid, can move QUICKLY when needed and beautiful inside and out! I can't imagine driving another car!

Stay away from Audi A8s
By Rodney Hager on 07/21/05 16:54 PM (PDT)

1997 Audi A8 Sedan quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

We own an A8 after a long series of Audi's. This car is crap. Electronics are a total failure, Audi knows the transmissions are defective but won't do anything, both windshields cracked, coolant and fuel lines had to be replaced, the heater and AC are terrible; this is the 3rd week of AC repairs at large cost, the sun roof leaks, and the overall quality is terrible... not as good as a cheap Fiat. It is not surprising Audi can't be reached by email. Many dealers refuse to sell 1997 A8's. Keep your eyes open, you'll see lots of newer ones broken down. A8s are crap!

Love the Car...hate the maintenance cost
By 0977q345 on 06/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Audi A8 Sedan quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This is really the finest of cars. I love the performance, comfort, and driving characteristics. The only issue is the exorbinate price of repairs. Driven entirely by Audi's excessive prices. The screw in replacement antenna cost over $150 (dealer is only place to get part). You will love the car, but expect to pay ($$$) for that love!

Excellent Car
By AL/Dallas on 02/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Audi A8 Sedan quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This car looks much better in real-life than in pictures. I bought mine for the fact that it is a rare car. You see 20 BMW 7 series for every A8 you see on the road. The gearing is set too high so that stoplight launches are not spectacular but this car has fantastic passing speed. I've taken it up to 130 mph and the engine doesn't even strain. The transmission is turbine smooth and shifts seamlessly. The interior is luxurious yet sporty and logically laid out. Maintenance is expensive (similiar to Mercedes and BMW) but expected. The A8 makes my friends Acura RL feel like a Honda Accord. Always fun to drive.

A Great Sedan
By dmosan on 10/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Audi A8 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I great handling performance sedan that deserves high ratings, including excellent fuel economy at any speed. Depreciation is a bummer, so getting a used model is the best value play.

Great Car - Big Time Maintenence
By Xialater on 01/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Audi A8 Sedan quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Great car, I miss mine every day......I just wish it didn't cost a small fortune to maintain the car

Biggie sized A4
By TVO on 11/09/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Audi A8 Sedan quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I enjoy the high-speed crusing at 85-90. It is quite, refined, and solid, with more than enough power available at highway speeds. You can drive for extended miles on the highway and arrive relaxed. The large fuel tank will allow you to go over 600 miles before refilling, but your bladder probably won't last that long without a stop. A used A8 is a much better value than a new A4 for the same dollars.