Used 1997 Audi A8 Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A8 model:

97 Audi A8 awsome car
By Chris

1997 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This is my second Audi a8 my first one was totaled but it definitely saved my life when hit a huge elk buck on 285 outside of Buena Vista . This car is the safest car structurally I've ever owned
The elk was tossed up into the air when I hit it on drivers side at 70 mph. It landed on the windshield/roof and sunroof. This elk was huge and I would have been killed if not for how structurally sound this car is
In any other car it would have crushed it up like an aluminum can
For a car that is over a decade old it still turns heads great ageless design. In the past I have owned both a Mercedes S 500 and a BMW 740il. The Audi A8 is by far the all around winner and it's AWD which neither the BMW or Mercedes was in 97 it's a beast in the snow as I reside in Colorado.
I did have to R&R the ZF5 HP24, not an easy job,but we'll worth it. This car is so comfortable to drive on long road trips
Set the cruise control and lounge back in the 12 way adjustable/heated seats
You can feel the quality that was built into this car you can tell that this car was 75k new

Ugly but overall a great car
By felipe444444

1997 Audi A8 4dr Sedan

I
just reached 200,000 miles on my car it runs well very comfy and very fun to drive a great car for student drivers

Audi A8
By Anonymous

1997 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Very well engineered car. Interior is awesome. Leather is still soft, no rattles, everything works, very solid car. Engine is teriffic. Smooth, quiet, with enough power to get you where you are going. Suspension is a little loose for my tastes, but very smooth over bumps. Steering is feather light and very nice. Transmission had failed at 170k. Not unexpectedly with the D2 A8. Tranny shifts are slow and tall gearing can make the car feel slow when not in the correct gear. Fuel mileage is great for a car this big at about 25 mpg average when using cruise most of the time. I've had to replace a couple of things here and there but nothing out of the ordinary.

Interior, Quattro, Aluminum chassis

Maintenance costs, transmission weakness.

Maybe the only 3.7 model left in USA?
By Geoff

1997 Audi A8 4dr Sedan

I bought mine used in 2002, have driven it 80,000 miles since. Build quality, handling, performance are great. Many small things have failed though, and at 170K miles it's on its third transmission (!). No other mechanical issues though. The engine is fantastic, still tight and strong and using no oil. I've driven the 4.2 AWD models as well, and I have to say I prefer the handling of my FWD 3.7 model. Weight is only 3600 lbs, about the same as a Subaru WRX. The 3.7 seems to have virtually disappeared from the roads now, though. At current rock-bottom prices these are a stupendous bargain.

Handling, performance, interior and exterior build quality, mechanical durability (with notable exception of the transmission)

A more durable gearbox

An automotive jewell!
By jojo mojo

1997 Audi A8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I purchased a used '97 Quattro with all extras - winter, hot weather and convenience packages. On top of that the Nav system is upgraded to the Euro version with a big screen in the center console, as well as 3 10" subs in the trunk. All I need is a Phatnoise MP3 player in place of the CD changer, and a fridge, and I can live in this car. :)) Learn how to do small repairs and you'll avoid the dealer charges. I just replaced valve cover gasket myself - $60 for parts (not from the dealer - plenty websites sell original parts) and two hours because I took my time. I change my oil, brakes, sparkplugs, and other simple maintenance!

Powerful engine, heated seats and steering wheel, navigation, dual zone climate control, Bose sound system. Purchase the Vag-Com and you can mess with any of the car's computers! Make your windows go up and down using your remote :)) Overall, an awesome car. I would recommend to anyone any day!!!

Gas mileage is lower than stated (at least mine is).