Used 2014 Audi A6 Diesel Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Audi A6 Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A6 model:

Great driver's car
By Dan

2014 Audi A6 Diesel TDI Premium Plus quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

We love to drive this car. It's a rocket, getting 40 to 42 MPG on the highway. Beautiful interor, quiet.

Beautiful body, tough on tires,
By Audi Reviewer

Owned my 2014 A6 TDI Premium+ for 18 months and have driven it 30,000 miles. Pros: THE best looking styling of all European/Japanese/American mid-size luxury sedans, hands down. Love the TDI diesel--44+mpg combined, quicker than a bullet, quiet engine (see the one major con on this engine below). Road handling is superb and this car is a blast to drive on a curvy highway. Cons--On the other hand...not the most comfy to drive on long trips and I have taken this car cross country. I get it's a sports sedan but after a while the lack of expected comfort starts to wear on you (esp. on a $60,000+ car). Tires--I have 30,000 miles on them, I don't drive hard, but the dealer told me I have about 10,000 miles left on them. What? 40,000 miles on a set of Dunlops? Biggest beef--as the tread wears down the noise these tires make is unbearably loud. Last issue-- Audi sends me a letter letting me know my TDI diesel engine was engineered to run on UP TO 5% biodiesel. Unfortunately I live in a state that mandates the sale of 20% biodiesel in the warmer months. Nice. Wish my dealer would have mentioned that to me when I bought the car. Audi goes on to state in the letter to me that in any event, they WILL honor any warranty issues arising out of the use of this biodiesel. As one who usually "buys them and drives them forever", I don't think I want to own this car after the warranty expires. I love this car but doubtful I will buy another diesel engine as long as I live in this state. I realize this is not Audi's problem but hopefully they are working on this biodiesel issue.

Incessant Brake Squealing
By northatlcars

2014 Audi A6 Diesel TDI Prestige quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I have admired Audi's light and interior design for sometime. In May of 2014, I made the move from an MB to a '14 A6 TDI Prestige.

I absolutely love the look of the car especially with the LED's and black out package. The power is great and fuel economy is nothing short of impressive.

My biggest complaint is the horribly incessant brake squeal. At 9200 miles I have already had the car in 3 times for this repair. First it was brake dust and I need to slam on the ABS to clear it. Seriously on $65k "German Engineered" car? The next time it was we scored the pads and added no squeal. When I dropped it off this time I said I don't want it back until it's fixed.

Power, design, fuel economy

Squeakly sunroof. HORRIBLE brake pads!!! Audi needs to step up on this one. I was eyeing an A8/Panamera as my next car (2-3 years) but if this isn't addressed I think I moving away from all VW group products including Porsche. My wife who never hears anything wrong in a car is complaining how horrible this A6 sounds. It's embarrassing.

Best car i've ever owned.
By ppace232

I absolutely love this car. I recently upgraded from an Avalon. There is no comparison. The diesel engine provides tons of power and I still get 30+ mpg despite my aggressive driving style. Every button for every function is easily within reach and does not distract from the great driving experience.

TDI diesel motor provides tons of power. MMI screen provides lots of easily accessible information. Engine cutoff at stoplights saves fuel.

Simply Superb Mid-Sized Luxury Sedan
By idoc2

The A6 TDI is simply a superb blend of luxury, performance and efficiency.
I have just over 2,000 miles on this car and it has exceeded my expectations in every way. The build quality and fit and finish are outstanding. This car has that machined from a single billet solidity that is only in the best German sedans.
It is both an effortless highway cruiser and despite its size a tight back road caver. The technology package is easy to use and fairly intuitive however to get the most out of it a careful read of the MMI manual is a must.
The diesel engine in a word is awesome! Yes there is a modest typical chatter at idle but once underway its smooth quiet and pulls like a freight train!

The combination of power, smoothness and efficiency found in a modern diesel will amaze most Americans who remember the stinky, dirty old clatter boxes. Because this engine has 428 ft-Lbs of torque its acceleration is effortless from off-the-line to over 100 mph! For the same reason the engine is remarkably quiet when cursing turning at only about 1500 rpm at 75mph. At 75 mph on long highway trips I routinely have gotten 40-42 mpg which is outstanding for a 4,200 lb AWD sedan. In mixed driving I have been getting 32mpg. Despite the higher price of diesel and the premium paid for a TDI I find there is an aesthetic pleasure in driving such a well engineered, efficient sedan.

Basically there is very little to criticize. While the brakes are smooth with ample stopping power they are a bit touchy and sometimes hard to effectively modulate a low speeds with thick or rigid soled shoes such as winter boots. The power windows are a bit slow.