TDI offers an unbelievable combination of performance & MPGs!
By mdifanis on
2014 Audi A6 TDI Premium Plus quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)
My TDI is equipped with S-Line option package & optional 20" wheels with summer performance tires. It is both gorgeous (and menacing!) looking and incredibly fun to drive. For most people and most situations, the diesel **is** the high performance option, effortlessly building speed and dispatching almost all tasks without feeling like it's even trying. In normal, sedate driving, the tach doesn't exceed 2,000 RPMs, yet it hits its maximum torque output within this range, which is the secret to the extraordinary fuel efficiency/performance combination. And if you want to do spirited driving, it is happy to oblige, and it sounds happy to rev. Most folks would never know it's a diesel.
Favorite Features
An amazing combination of performance and fuel economy. Spectacularly well appointed cabin. Very nice size, providing comfortable space for four adults and a road-trip capable trunk, yet doesn't feel like a land yacht when powering through curves. Dazzling array of tech features. The exterior design offers an appealing combination of subtle, conservative styling with some futuristic and aggressive highlights, such as the LED lights and menacing grill.
Suggested Improvements
MMS infotainment system is actually LESS intuitive than the current generation BMW iDrive system. I haven't read the manual yet (nor did I ever on my Bimmer), and I have a much harder time navigating the options. The cellular connectivity seems to never be fast enough to make the optional Google Maps satellite images display in high resolution. Audi front seats don't quite compare to the BMW sport seats. Trunk size has been a casualty of aesthetic improvements, as my 2002 Audi S8 (which was VERY close in physical dimensions to the new A6) had an impossibly large 18 cubic foot trunk, but the A6 is only 14 or so.