2014 Audi A6 Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Audi A6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A6 model:

Incessant Brake Squealing
By northatlcars

2014 Audi A6 Diesel TDI Prestige quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I have admired Audi's light and interior design for sometime. In May of 2014, I made the move from an MB to a '14 A6 TDI Prestige. I absolutely love the look of the car especially with the LED's and black out package. The power is great and fuel economy is nothing short of impressive. My biggest complaint is the horribly incessant brake squeal. At 9200 miles I have already had the car in 3 times for this repair. First it was brake dust and I need to slam on the ABS to clear it. Seriously on $65k "German Engineered" car? The next time it was we scored the pads and added no squeal. When I dropped it off this time I said I don't want it back until it's fixed.

Favorite Features

Power, design, fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

Squeakly sunroof. HORRIBLE brake pads!!! Audi needs to step up on this one. I was eyeing an A8/Panamera as my next car (2-3 years) but if this isn't addressed I think I moving away from all VW group products including Porsche. My wife who never hears anything wrong in a car is complaining how horrible this A6 sounds. It's embarrassing.

Best car i've ever owned.
By ppace232

2014 Audi A6 Diesel TDI Premium Plus quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I absolutely love this car. I recently upgraded from an Avalon. There is no comparison. The diesel engine provides tons of power and I still get 30+ mpg despite my aggressive driving style. Every button for every function is easily within reach and does not distract from the great driving experience.

Favorite Features

TDI diesel motor provides tons of power. MMI screen provides lots of easily accessible information. Engine cutoff at stoplights saves fuel.

Simply Superb Mid-Sized Luxury Sedan
By idoc2

The A6 TDI is simply a superb blend of luxury, performance and efficiency. I have just over 2,000 miles on this car and it has exceeded my expectations in every way. The build quality and fit and finish are outstanding. This car has that machined from a single billet solidity that is only in the best German sedans. It is both an effortless highway cruiser and despite its size a tight back road caver. The technology package is easy to use and fairly intuitive however to get the most out of it a careful read of the MMI manual is a must. The diesel engine in a word is awesome! Yes there is a modest typical chatter at idle but once underway its smooth quiet and pulls like a freight train!

Favorite Features

The combination of power, smoothness and efficiency found in a modern diesel will amaze most Americans who remember the stinky, dirty old clatter boxes. Because this engine has 428 ft-Lbs of torque its acceleration is effortless from off-the-line to over 100 mph! For the same reason the engine is remarkably quiet when cursing turning at only about 1500 rpm at 75mph. At 75 mph on long highway trips I routinely have gotten 40-42 mpg which is outstanding for a 4,200 lb AWD sedan. In mixed driving I have been getting 32mpg. Despite the higher price of diesel and the premium paid for a TDI I find there is an aesthetic pleasure in driving such a well engineered, efficient sedan.

Suggested Improvements

Basically there is very little to criticize. While the brakes are smooth with ample stopping power they are a bit touchy and sometimes hard to effectively modulate a low speeds with thick or rigid soled shoes such as winter boots. The power windows are a bit slow.

TDI offers an unbelievable combination of performance & MPGs!
By mdifanis

My TDI is equipped with S-Line option package & optional 20" wheels with summer performance tires. It is both gorgeous (and menacing!) looking and incredibly fun to drive. For most people and most situations, the diesel **is** the high performance option, effortlessly building speed and dispatching almost all tasks without feeling like it's even trying. In normal, sedate driving, the tach doesn't exceed 2,000 RPMs, yet it hits its maximum torque output within this range, which is the secret to the extraordinary fuel efficiency/performance combination. And if you want to do spirited driving, it is happy to oblige, and it sounds happy to rev. Most folks would never know it's a diesel.

Favorite Features

An amazing combination of performance and fuel economy. Spectacularly well appointed cabin. Very nice size, providing comfortable space for four adults and a road-trip capable trunk, yet doesn't feel like a land yacht when powering through curves. Dazzling array of tech features. The exterior design offers an appealing combination of subtle, conservative styling with some futuristic and aggressive highlights, such as the LED lights and menacing grill.

Suggested Improvements

MMS infotainment system is actually LESS intuitive than the current generation BMW iDrive system. I haven't read the manual yet (nor did I ever on my Bimmer), and I have a much harder time navigating the options. The cellular connectivity seems to never be fast enough to make the optional Google Maps satellite images display in high resolution. Audi front seats don't quite compare to the BMW sport seats. Trunk size has been a casualty of aesthetic improvements, as my 2002 Audi S8 (which was VERY close in physical dimensions to the new A6) had an impossibly large 18 cubic foot trunk, but the A6 is only 14 or so.

TDI!
By audi40

Have had my A6 TDI Prestige with 19" Sport Package for 2 months and 2,400+ miles now, and it has met or exceeded all expectations. Having come from a 2010 3.0T A6, the TDI feels just as powerful as the 3.0T (albeit rated about 60HP less), but then again it's all about the torque with this car (428 lb ft). The MPG (easily averaging 30mpg+ in mixed driving, and close to 40 on long highway runs) and the range (averaging close to 600 miles/tank) are incredible for a car of this size and power. Love all the tech in this compared to my prior A6, and the car just looks great in Daytona Gray w/ all black interior, 19" sport pkg and full LED headlights to top it all off.

Favorite Features

MPG/range and torque of the TDI. Audiconnect with Google Earth map overlay on the NAV, ability to use voice commands to Google-search for destinations, and the in-car wi-fi (kids love it for their "devices"). Upgraded seats in the Prestige trim provide nice support and comfort (with ventilation) compared to seats in Prem+ models. 19" Sport Package comes with A/S tires (vs summer tires in prior model yrs). LED headlights - while a pricey option @ $1,400 - provide great illumination and really give the car a distinctive look.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing I can think of....Audi hit it out of the park with this car!