2011 Audi A6 3.0T Prestige - A True Sports Sedan
By ricks8 on
2011 Audi A6 3.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl S/C 6A)
After driving Lexus since '94, I got rid of my '08 LS due to quality problems / high price. I ruled out the Lexus GS because I drove one for 10 years and don't like the new ones + Lexus quality issues. I also ruled out the MB E-class (don't like what they did with it, all the plastic in it or its price), BMW 535 (insane price) and the Hyundai Genesis (can't stand local dealers), narrowing things to Audi A6 and Infiniti M37. The A6 is a much better performance car that is more fun to drive with styling I prefer - article on Car and Driver comparing A6, M37 and 535 is on point, particularly high RPM for M37. I am very happy with the A6 even though M37 may be a better value to some.
Favorite Features
* 3.0 Supercharged engine that performs (and sounds) closer to a V-8 than any other V-6 I have ever driven, particularly in Sport mode (great power at low RPM) - you won't confuse it with a V-8, but it is more than enough 99% of the time - big issue for me; * Quattro / handling - also the best handling car I ever had (true sports performance, not just an emblem) * Great styling with 19" sports package; * Fit and finish that seems second to none; * I actually prefer navigation and traffic with MMI instead of touchscreen like I had in last car; traffic reports, in particular are far superior to Lexus LS * Value compared to BMW and MB * Best dealer experience anywhere (Audi Coral Springs)
Suggested Improvements
* Bose premium 5.1 stereo is subpar (B&O will resolve in 2012); * A little more room in seat - I'm 6' 4" / 240 and fit ok, but could use just a little more room (headroom fine); * Usable location for second cup holder (under arm rest for some crazy reason); * Better MPG (80% highway driving will get you 23 mpg overall, not the 25-26 the car says it does - 7 or 8 speed transmission would help (LS with V8 got 26 mpg vs. 28 it said); * Minor features I liked in LS: auto fold in mirrors, change cup (I just use that weird second cup holder); parking sensors in front and sides, not just rear; auto rear sun shade; * Better residual value - closer to Japanese deals; * More inventory for dealers
By jayleap
on 04/20/14 10:04 AM (PDT)

Let me get this straight, one of the main reasons you switched from Lexus to Audi was because of quality issues? Did you lease or buy? Because if you bought, that just sounds ridiculous. I love Audis, but would never expect them to age better (quality-wise) than an Lexus. Would love to hear how your A6 has fared since your comment. Any chance of an update?