Used 2008 Audi A6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Audi A6 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A6 model:

Not what I was expecting
By goodmaj

2008 Audi A6 Sedan 4.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I sold my M3 because my kids were getting too big for the back seat and my wife couldn't drive a stick. I owned a 2004 Allroad at one point and loved it so I thought it'd be cool to come back to Audi. Well, now it's three weeks later and I just sold it for a BMW 535. The seats, while nice, offer very little support when going through hard turns. The headroom is terrible - I'm 6' 3" and my hair brushed the headliner every time. The car is very smooth - almost too smooth. I felt like I was driving a luxury yacht. Performance of the V8 is pretty good and with good mileage. If you like to float in luxury, this is your car, but if you're looking for a little better driving experience, pass.

V8, interior design (no one, but no one beats an Audi interior), MMI easy to figure out quickly and use, center dashboard display (vs. always having to look at the MMI screen). Bose Surround is very nice.

Tighten up the suspension on the base model. Beef up the seats and make them more adjustable. Shrink and fatten the steering wheel so you don't feel like you're steering the Titanic.

Annoying quirks
By chicagotiger

2008 Audi A6 Sedan 3.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.1L 6cyl 6A)

Our Audi for the most part has been fabulous. However in the 2 years we've owned the car, we've only put 7,500 on it and our check engine light has come on 3 times. Perhaps its dishonest gas pumps, but we always use the premium gas. Its very annoying to have to take it in for service, get no real details, a couple of dings on the car and not even a car wash at our local dealership. Even though its been a nice ride for the most part, I'd like to get rid of it before something major blows.

Not happy!
By Robert

2008 Audi A6 Sedan 3.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.1L 6cyl 6A)

Well have had my a6 for just 2 yrs now and 40,000 miles and the problems just keep on coming. First was the seat controls separating from the seat at 17,000 and not covered under warranty charged $40 to tighten bolt. Next was the xenon headlight going on and off, dealer said it was what they do when they are about to go bad $350. Then car started to run rough and engine light on told computer issue but that did not fix it. Then back to shop to find out it was carbon build up. Major engine work, fixed under warranty this time otherwise over $1,000 to fix. Dealer said that its because the gas today is not high enough octane to work with audis new engine design. Whats next? My last Audi.

comfort of the ride and looks

Audi needs to work on the quality issues and stop blaming their problems on low octane gas for their new poor engine design

Plagued with problems
By RNayar

2008 Audi A6 Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl CVT)

My A6 continues to be plagued with problems. Spent 10 days in the shop over thanksgiving. Oil seals on all 6 cylinders had to be replaced. A major job on a car with only 12k miles. The carbon buildup issue which was initially attributed to a computer reprogram turned out to be failing seals. I also mentioned a rattle/squeak from the front left suspension; dealer greased the suspension per Audi directives but to no avail. Car was in the shop for 1 week. Now it turns out that it may be a bushing problem (a known issue amongst Audis) and I am being asked to take the car back again. BTW - JDPower only gives the A6 a 6 rating which is on the cusp of below average.

When its out of the shop and firing on all cylinders, the A6 is an exciting, enjoyable car to drive.

Reliability, reliability, reliability.

Better than Expected
By Corey

2008 Audi A6 Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl CVT)

For a large car, the A6 handles very well. I come from a smaller sports car so driving the A6 took some getting used to. The steering is soft, but responsive. Starts are slow, but once she's up to speed, the power is awesome! Passing slower vehicles is not a problem. The interior is plush and comfortable and there's nothing better when driving at night with all the lights on. Having the controls on the console was awkward at first since it is difficult to change settings while driving. I don't suggest it! However, once set up, voice activation is the key to easy and safe operation. Although difficult to comprehend at first, once learned, the MMI and navigation system is a cinch to use.

The Bose stereo is awesome! I've never enjoyed listening to music in any car I've owned as much as I do in the A6. Having multiple screens for on- board information is great. It allows the driver to see the radio stations while having the navigation system displayed.

Improve torque for quicker starts. The sluggish start-off can be a problem when starting off from a full stop.