Used 2008 Audi A6 4.2 quattro Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A6 model:

58k miles and still GREAT
By docwoods

2008 Audi A6 Sedan 4.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is an update to an earlier review. I now have 58k miles in this car and it is still one of the best cars that I have owned. To date I have had minor failures (tail light, head light) but nothing worse! I still get about 27-28 mpg highway at 75 cruise. It is quiet, solid as a bank vault and drives like new. This car is not about cutting edge performance and handling. It is about quality of construction and easy highway driving. I still look forward to driving it each time. I would highly recommend this car to anyone.

Favorite Features

Smooth V8, nice seats, great sound system, quiet interior and large trunk.

Not what I was expecting
By goodmaj

2008 Audi A6 Sedan 4.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I sold my M3 because my kids were getting too big for the back seat and my wife couldn't drive a stick. I owned a 2004 Allroad at one point and loved it so I thought it'd be cool to come back to Audi. Well, now it's three weeks later and I just sold it for a BMW 535. The seats, while nice, offer very little support when going through hard turns. The headroom is terrible - I'm 6' 3" and my hair brushed the headliner every time. The car is very smooth - almost too smooth. I felt like I was driving a luxury yacht. Performance of the V8 is pretty good and with good mileage. If you like to float in luxury, this is your car, but if you're looking for a little better driving experience, pass.

Favorite Features

V8, interior design (no one, but no one beats an Audi interior), MMI easy to figure out quickly and use, center dashboard display (vs. always having to look at the MMI screen). Bose Surround is very nice.

Suggested Improvements

Tighten up the suspension on the base model. Beef up the seats and make them more adjustable. Shrink and fatten the steering wheel so you don't feel like you're steering the Titanic.

Best Audi Yet
By DocWoods

2008 Audi A6 Sedan 4.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is my fourth Audi, second A6. Best of them all! The power is great, smooth ride, unbeatable interior quality/design. I know that there are cars that are quicker, better handling, flashier, more powerful, etc, but no other car, taken as a package, does it all better than this A6. Can't beat quattro in the snow and rain. After 17K miles: NO PROBLEMS AT ALL, just changing the oil every 5K (not the factory recommended 10K).

Favorite Features

V8 power, acceleration, interior design. Superb ride and interior quietness.

Suggested Improvements

A little better fore/aft balance to improve handling.

3 Audi's in 2 months...This is the best!
By K.Anderson

2008 Audi A6 Sedan 4.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have a fully loaded Q7 and love it for its size and looks. But my husband has wanted another Audi so we went out and got a fully loaded A6. Could not be happier with it. After being pleased with Audi we went out and got another one a R8 for the power. But out of all of the cars we like the A6 the best for its looks and power and all the stuff you can get on it. Such as Keyless go (we payed extra to get that installed) Navigation, backup camera, and sensors, the blinds in the back, wood steering wheel.

Favorite Features

Keyless go, blinds in the back, wood steering wheel, navigation, backup camera and sensors, heated seats, and electronic trunk closer.

Suggested Improvements

More Cup Holders

Dissapointment
By riberg27

2008 Audi A6 Sedan 4.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I looked at all cars that could possibly fit my criteria. I wanted top performance in a 4 wheel drive car. I finally settled on the A6. Although this car is fantastic in so many ways,the lack of road feel and poor wieght distribution is very unsettling. I can't understand why they would build a great car, but which lacks basic handling characteristics. My daughter's '06 Accord has much better road feel and handling characteristics than this car. I would even go so far as to say this car is quite dangerous if you try to drive it on a curvy road at high speed. The V8 is too much power for the poor handling. I am very dissapointed I wish I would have gone with the BMW

Favorite Features

Solid feel and interior. Quality craftmanship.

Suggested Improvements

Needs much better road feel and handling characteristics. Why would they produce a car with such poor handling? Engine needs more low end torque. The stereo is nice but lacks the solid driving midrange bass of my Jeep Grand Cherokee