Used 2008 Audi A6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A6 model:

Most Helpful|
58k miles and still GREAT
By docwoods

2008 Audi A6 Sedan 4.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is an update to an earlier review. I now have 58k miles in this car and it is still one of the best cars that I have owned. To date I have had minor failures (tail light, head light) but nothing worse! I still get about 27-28 mpg highway at 75 cruise. It is quiet, solid as a bank vault and drives like new. This car is not about cutting edge performance and handling. It is about quality of construction and easy highway driving. I still look forward to driving it each time. I would highly recommend this car to anyone.

Favorite Features

Smooth V8, nice seats, great sound system, quiet interior and large trunk.

Almost in love....
By dwmmlm

2008 Audi A6 Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl CVT)

The car is a beautiful style and handsome even 4 years after its birth. Interior is top notch and I even prefer it to the 2012 loaner A6 I am driving this week. Fuel economy is outstanding and the car just glides at 90mph. However, the CVT transmission is quirky and I would opt for the Quattro next time around. Car is sluggish off the mark and much of that is around the CVT. I had it in twice this year for rough idle and jerky driving when cold. Also, Audi refuses to update their software in a timely manner for the Media Center and is behind the curve of technology despite what the commercials tell you. Remote doesn't roll down windows and no streaming music from your phone to Bluetooth.

Favorite Features

Ride, trunk space, quietness and quality of cabin interior.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the CVT and provide media software updates for your current loyal owners (its called building affinity in the marketing business). No streaming Bluetooth? Seriously - in a $50,000 car? My nephew's 2009 Mazda 3 streams BT. Come on man!

Bought New - My 3rd and best A-6
By Douglas

2008 Audi A6 Sedan 3.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.1L 6cyl 6A)

This is my third Audi A-6 (had a 2000 and 2004 A-6 turbo 2.7 models). I thoroughly enjoy the car. It is by far the best vehicle I've owned. Drove it down to Virginia and back two weeks ago moving with traffic at 75+ and averaged 28 mpg on the highway. It accelerates nicely in Sport mode, has lots of room. The only real annoying problem I had occurred at 46,000 miles - the starter relay switch went - the car just wouldn't start one rainy evening. I had to have the car towed, however Audi gave me a loaner, paid for the tow and repaired it quickly. It has more interior room than the Mercedes E and BMW 5 series. I highly recommend this car.

Favorite Features

The Iphone integrated blue tooth navigation and I-Pod system works very nicely. Lots of leg room front and back. Great overall performance with 4 wheel 'Quatro' drive - great on the snow, water and gravel surfaces. I like the summer sunscreens package and key less entry.

Suggested Improvements

The turning radius at 39 is too big for comfortable maneuverability in tight spaces - decrease it to 36'. Adaptive Cruise control and lane change warning systems would be great along with a Remote Starter. Add the A-8 seat massager and air cooled seats and you will need nothing more.

Strong and very Reliable car
By papo1975

2008 Audi A6 Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl CVT)

Second A6, got it CPO with 35k back in jan/2011 , now 105k with no mayor repairs. I do regular oil change(Castrol synthetic) and all recommended maintenance..For my brakes ,fluids, filters and battery only use OEM parts Only repairs I came across are light bulb change and throttle body clean up . Yes repairs and maintenance can be expensive but it is a $50'000.00 car with a great look and performance. My cost to own very low until now ,and planning to keep it for years to come.

Favorite Features

performance and reliability

Suggested Improvements

none ,happy with what I got..

Frustrating
By johnc8551

2008 Audi A6 Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl CVT)

This is my first experience wiuth Audi after owning Volvos, SAABs, and BMWs. I bought the car this past summer with 32K miles on the Audi CPO program. The brakes are touchy/grabby, but I've learned that's a common trait with the A6, and I've learned to live with it and adjust. At 36K miles, the engine quit in traffic, and I had to have it towed to the dealer for repair. It turned out to be a faulty low fuel pressure sensor, and this was repaired under warranty. The following week, a simple daylight running light bulb went out, and this an only be repaired at the dealer!

Favorite Features

MMI, not a Mercedes or BMW, heated seats, Nav system. Very roomy and comfortable interior. Wood trim and interior accent lighting.

Suggested Improvements

Make simple things like changing a common light bulb so it can be done by the owner OR extend the warranty on bulbs to 5 years/50K miles. Paying an hour or more labor to change a light bulb is expensive and should not be necessary. Move the MMI controls more into the driver's vision.