Used 2006 Audi A6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Audi A6 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A6 model:

7 years and still like new
By ozzie1999

2006 Audi A6 Sedan 4.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I've owned a lot of cars. Many of which I cycled through as I got bored of them, or they just started to under perform and cause issues. I purchased this A6 with 5K on the clock and it currently has 65K. I do pamper it, but it returns its pampering with flawless performance with an engine roar that sounds better than the day I got it. Oh yeah and 7 years and there is not one bit of rust.

Everything. I love every feature of this car. This was one of the first models that had key-less entry, integrated navigation, integrated blue tooth phone, and voice command - not to mention the awesome 4WD. I recently drove in a new 3.0T considering an upgrade but I'm not sure I would switch at this point.

Perhaps - better lumbar, bigger sunroof, comfier head-rests.. but at this point, we're going into cocktail bar type features.

Cheap to buy, Expensive to maintain
By chewetson825

2006 Audi A6 Sedan 3.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.1L 6cyl 6A)

I only had my A6 for 3 months. On the way home from the dealership (It was 5 hours away), the transmission went out. Only an Audi dealer can replace it, so it was a little over $5,000. Then the passenger seat switch broke. It was going to cost $300 to fix, but decided to leave it alone. Then a coolant pipe broke and costed $85 for the pipe plus $25 for the coolant you HAVE to use on Audis. Two days later I got a warning light and took it to the dealership. They adjusted some sensors but warned that a $11,000 repair was about a year away and recommended I traded it in, so I did. I only had the car for 4,000 miles. I am the worlds biggest Audi fan, but if you have to have one, buy one new.

MMI, Quattro, styling, interior

Reliability. I thought a german-engineered car would be better. It has to be hooked up to Audi's special computer to do anything at all. Cheapest labor rate I could find at a dealership was $98 an hour. Parts have to be ordered from Germany which take awhile.

What a Porsche 911 Aspired to be, not too long ago...
By cincinnatikid

2006 Audi A6 Sedan 4.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I'm amazed at how it sticks to rails as I corner. The heated steering wheel, racing seats, electric sun shades are all nice, but it is the performance in an understated sedan that impresses me most. When I look at how this model is rated by everything from The Robb Report to Road & Track against competitors many times its price, I'm grateful to have found this hidden gem. Yes it needs 9 quarts of oil but it's built like a rock. Only problems have been buttons wearing out and headlights leaking, easy fixes. Rear air bag needs work too.

Cornering.

More comfortable, more cushioned racing seats. Air conditioned seats. Better seals on the headlights.

The perfect all-weather luxo tourer
By mystro

2006 Audi A6 Sedan 3.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.1L 6cyl 6A)

In Europe owning an Audi is a sign of success and knowledge..they lead the German pack. The German made cars such as this beautiful A6 Quattro as simply the best built cars in the world in this class. The secret to finding that pefect used Audi IMO is to buy it thru the same Audi dealer who originally sold it and it has full service history...all the petigree updates. The A6 is a computer with wheels so keeping it uptodate is critical but even a cheapo newer cars requires this maintience..yes you want to but high quality oil and filters simply because it's a awd marvel.

The C6 is the choice..the C5 was it's test-bed. The 2013 actually has very close DNA to the 06 full optioned A6. I've found Audi doesn't make major changes over the years they concentrate on refinement.

Extra set of wheels for snow zone owners with the new high-performance winter tires and you'll turn into a super-lux snow cat.

2006 A6 Owner
By txcvt

2006 Audi A6 Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl CVT)

Do not by one of these unless you are willing to shell out $$ for service and repairs. Shortly after 80K you will notice small issue that result in very costly repairs, regardless of being diligent in regards to preventive maintenance. CVTs are not a good idea, the controller (TCM) tend to fail before the CVT, either way you are looking at a minimum of $2500. If you want an Audi buy one with a clutch or pay for extended warrenties, they are worth it.

Ride is great. Handling is light considering the weight and I can still get 30+ mpg on an 2006 with 90K miles. (CVT is worthless)

No more CVT !!! If Audi doesn't back them up than why are they using them at all ?