Used 2006 Audi A6 Consumer Reviews - 86 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Audi A6

View reviews for a specific A6 model:

Most Luxurious 98,000 mile life disposable car
By Steven

2006 Audi A6 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl CVT)

Ok, well we loved this car, then hate this car, then love this car, and so on... It all comes down to reasonable and prudent reliability and quality of materials. This was a 24000 mile pre-owned Audi certified car we purchased. Driven lightly for the last 5-6 years, garage kept 1/2-2/3 of the time owned.

What's good?
Performance, feel, and overall car experience were favorable. Fuel economy is outstanding, especially highway. Car has generally been trouble free, or so I thought (see What's Bad).

What's Bad?
Where to start. 1) Service intervals - we have had this into Audi every 10K per suggested and every time we leave with no less than a $400 bill gone for what I would have normally thought was a Jiffy Lube type $65 event. They ALWAYS find something wrong that needs to be fixed or replaced, or updated - and being a good Audi owner I comply since I want my Audi to be in top shape all the time. 2) Absolutely $%## poor quality of materials on interior knobs, dials, and trim. Just google it and you will see lots of people with delaminated interior trim. Audi chooses to turn the other way though and does not recall this to fix an obvious mfg defect. Its a calculated risk for them I assume thinking not enough care - I do and on this alone, I will never buy Audi again. I tried to sell my car (which is otherwise in great shape) and everyone was turned off by paint peeling off of the various knobs and dials. 3) Power Steering - Developed a leak at 65K miles. Too expensive to repair on my quickly depreciating car - no return on investment there, so just keep adding the $30/pint Audi fluid as need be. 4) Oil Use - uses about 1 US Quart of $8 synthetic oil every 4K miles. No matter what they say, this seems excessive. My Ford Explorer had 200K and used 1/3 of that. 5) Technology - Even in 2006, simple things like AUX jacks should be available. There is no way to connect a device other than Radio Frequency Module - which suck. My 2002 Corolla was better than that. 6) Navigation is ok, not great. Its so outdated and Audi wants you to pay $300+ for their map update CDs....residual income for them I guess. 7) Battery - The $180 battery that goes with this only makes it about 12-14 months then dies. Get a good one with a warranty since you will be using it A LOT. 8) And now for the 95,000 interval (I had to wait to 98,000...shame on me). Remember that the car has been factory serviced every 10K since 24K miles.... 8a) Windshield washer pump was shorted out $400 - had to fix this since its a safety item. 8b) windshield washer blades - there are no auto store or aftermarklets available. Audi must provide these @ $60. 8c) Oil and filter change @ $400. Up to $800 now. 8d) take a guess...bad battery $180 (I declined since mine is Autozone and under warranty). 8e) Motor mounts are bad (huh?) - $1300 - I declined. 8f) Adaptive headlight sensor error - must remove front end to check it $1200 (for a light that is still shining? LOL) - I declined. 8g) Rear brake light error - tech tried to check this but the lens covers were too brittle. New ones cost $1200 - again LOL - I declined. 8h) Front end bushings need replaced - $1800 - I declined. 8i) Oil leak noticed around timing and valve cover - $1500 - I declined. I stop them here. This $6,500 car is way past its service life at 98,000 miles. Didn't even make it to 100K - wow for a $65K automobile.

I share my experience with the first person I see who I knew had a A3 with 50,000 miles on it. They just traded theirs in after their service call quoted them thousands of dollars in very similar repairs and failures. Different dealership, different auto groups so no suspicion there. I assume its just a fact that an Audi is disposable ($0 value) after 8-10 years or 50-90K miles. Well, I hear scrap metal is $3/100 pounds so there is that.....

Hurts to sell this one...
By A6 Guy

2006 Audi A6 3.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.1L 6cyl 6A)

Just traded in my 2006 A6 Quattro sedan 3.2 S-line with 117,500 miles for a 2016 Prestige A6 3.0 and while the new model is fantastic, I hate stepping away from my 2006. This was my first Audi and the most enjoyable car I have ever owned. Bought as CPO with 30k. The 2006 was quick and handled like on rails. Quattro system is awesome in WI winters (especially equipped with Blizzak snow tires). I had a few warranty issues before 50k (covered by Audi) and little to none since. I maintained my car well and it treated me right. Local independent shop handled all needed work. I'm am only selling for fear of costly repairs down the road which if I could predict to be reasonable, I'd keep it. Lastly, the Bose surround system is the best factory car audio I have ever heard. The misano red turns heads and many folks still think the 06 is a newer car. If you don't get hit with reliability costs, the 2006 is a GREAT value.

7 years and still like new
By ozzie1999

2006 Audi A6 4.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I've owned a lot of cars.
Many of which I cycled through as I got bored of them, or they just started to under perform and cause issues.
I purchased this A6 with 5K on the clock and it currently has 65K.
I do pamper it, but it returns its pampering with flawless performance with an engine roar that sounds better than the day I got it.
Oh yeah and 7 years and there is not one bit of rust.

Everything. I love every feature of this car. This was one of the first models that had key-less entry, integrated navigation, integrated blue tooth phone, and voice command - not to mention the awesome 4WD. I recently drove in a new 3.0T considering an upgrade but I'm not sure I would switch at this point.

Perhaps - better lumbar, bigger sunroof, comfier head-rests.. but at this point, we're going into cocktail bar type features.

Cheap to buy, Expensive to maintain
By chewetson825

2006 Audi A6 3.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.1L 6cyl 6A)

I only had my A6 for 3 months. On the way home from the dealership (It was 5 hours away), the transmission went out. Only an Audi dealer can replace it, so it was a little over $5,000. Then the passenger seat switch broke. It was going to cost $300 to fix, but decided to leave it alone. Then a coolant pipe broke and costed $85 for the pipe plus $25 for the coolant you HAVE to use on Audis. Two days later I got a warning light and took it to the dealership. They adjusted some sensors but warned that a $11,000 repair was about a year away and recommended I traded it in, so I did. I only had the car for 4,000 miles. I am the worlds biggest Audi fan, but if you have to have one, buy one new.

MMI, Quattro, styling, interior

Reliability. I thought a german-engineered car would be better. It has to be hooked up to Audi's special computer to do anything at all. Cheapest labor rate I could find at a dealership was $98 an hour. Parts have to be ordered from Germany which take awhile.

What a Porsche 911 Aspired to be, not too long ago...
By cincinnatikid

2006 Audi A6 4.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I'm amazed at how it sticks to rails as I corner.

The heated steering wheel, racing seats, electric sun shades are all nice, but it is the performance in an understated sedan that impresses me most. When I look at how this model is rated by everything from The Robb Report to Road & Track against competitors many times its price, I'm grateful to have found this hidden gem. Yes it needs 9 quarts of oil but it's built like a rock. Only problems have been buttons wearing out and headlights leaking, easy fixes. Rear air bag needs work too.

Cornering.

More comfortable, more cushioned racing seats. Air conditioned seats. Better seals on the headlights.