Used 2005 Audi A6 Consumer Reviews - 122 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Audi A6 - Consumer Reviews

2005 Audi A6

View reviews for a specific A6 model:

Joy to drive, pain to spend needlessly for repairs
By Sean

2005 Audi A6 3.2 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 6A)

We have had our 2005 Audi A6 3.2 for about two years and bought it with about 106,000 miles. This car is a great looking car and very fun to drive, but none of that matters when reliability is an issue. I can honestly say that unless I win the next mega lottery I am never buying another Audi.

Now before you dismiss me as a hater I want you to know I really wanted to love this car. I like German engineered cars. I had a few BMWs before and liked those, and my wife had a 2000 Audi S4 for a couple years that was also a fun car, but had maintenance issues that should haver warned us from buying another Audi. We had an extended aftermarket warranty on that car though, so I guess that helped us "forget" about the issues.

Right from the get go the A6 was trouble. When accelerating from stop signs there was a drastic delay before the car would shift into gear and start moving - you would push the accelerator and nothing would happen for a couple beats and then it would suddenly take off. I finally learned that if I kept the car in sport mode that didn't happen. Sport mode is fun so I didn't mind too much, but my MPG suffered. After returning the car to the dealer I bought it from a couple time they still couldn't fix the problem and offered to put a new transmission in for $1,200. After agreeing to that I soon discovered that did nothing to fixed the problem!

That set the tone for a trend that continued throughout ownership. Every four months or so an issue would pop up that required a trip to the local Audi dealer for repairs. I started to joke with people that a trip to the dealer was always followed with at least $500 in repairs.

The icing of the cake though occurred last week when we brought the car in for a failed battery. At this point we have 123,000 miles on the odometer and we asked them to change the oil as well. Then we got a phone call from the dealer saying that the timing chain was stretched and the car sounded terrible. They would recommend we don't drive it but have it towed if we want a second opinion. The repair would cost $5,000!! And that was just to repair one of four chains in the engine. To repair all four the cost would be $8,000.

Now after reading some forums and talking to some repair shops I have learned that this is fairly common with Audis of this time period. Apparently Audi went to the timing chain versus timing belt set up starting in 2005 and the new chain system trends towards failure on a good percentage of the cars between 110,000 and 150,000 miles. Now some people may say that is is a common result of neglected maintenance. I can tell you I was current on all of my oil changes and service. I can't say what the history of the car was before I bought it, but this drastic problem with a ridiculous repair price tag is unacceptable. If you look up the value of my car, this repair costs more that the car is worth at this point.

So although I typically don't write reviews, I felt obligated to share my experience in hope that I can save some other car buyer from the same fate.

Awesome First Car
By jvcbone919

2005 Audi A6 3.2 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 6A)

My father and I went a purchases this car at an auction. The car has been very great to me, we bought it in August 2014 with 130k miles. I've been in a car accident with it in which I rearended a much larger vehicle at 45 MPH. Luckily I was super safe and I just had to replace the front bumper. The car has about 145k miles on it currently and it just seems to be falling apart. Plastic pieces in the exterior, the window regulator not working correctly and some oil leaking. It has been a very nice car and I am looking for a newer mode with less miles because I feel so safe in it. Also last note the quattro all wheel drive is amazing, you never feel like you don't have traction

Leather seats, sunroof, lots of standard features, Quattro All Wheel Dive

Better plastic seals on engine because of oil leaks

A real gem; a GREAT used bargain!
By headude

2005 Audi A6 4.2 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

My 4th Audi and 1st bot with less than 100K on speedo. Bot used on eBay in 08 with 28K; two problems under warranty. Problem free ever since—now 65K on odo. Amazing engineering, ergonomics, design, performance & great fuel mileage for a V8, hiway—28mpg @ 70mph. Has Bose, performance pkg, with 18s. 0-60 mph in 6 sec., great handling for a luxury car. I would HIGHLY recommend this car, especially with the 4.2L V8. Just bought an '01 A6 Avant yesterday for my fiancé; a rare, low-mileage car that looks brand new. Will keep both for years. Of the 5 Audis I have owned only 1 has given me problems, and frankly, I bot it with over 100K on it and expected many of the issues. Will own Audis forever!

Tiptronic transmission is awesome, enabling you to rev to redline—Sport mode has perfect shift points, resulting in enthusiastic motoring. Dash layout (ergonomics) is best in industry. Sound system is very good, but not great. Styling is classic, including wheel design (sport pkg has different 7 spoke, 18" wheels). Heated seats and steering wheel and mirrors is great in cold and snow. Quattro (all-wheel drive) is the best and perfect for snow and inclement weather. Although I am not typically a "red" person, my Canyon Red Pearl paint is unusual Audi color—I get lots of compliments on it. I love the phone integration in this car—totally transparent, with steering wheel activation. HUGE trunk.

Almost none — wait — could use a 2nd functional cup holder in front where you don't have to lose the use of the center armrest. I have the low-profile tires and bot the car used with 28K on it; the tires had about 1/2 to 2/3 tread left. I have put 35K on these tires and I will still get about 3-4,000 miles out of them before I have to get new ones. I admit to 95% highway mileage but still, I do drive very hard in corners at times (love the twisties!), so can't complain about my tread life at all. Accidentally had one of my remote keys go through the washing machine and now neither of them work. Dealer fix would be about $600. Ouch! Fabulous car for the money ($60K when new) if well cared 4.

2005 Audi A6 C6 3.2Q Sport Package
By jyurick

2005 Audi A6 3.2 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased used 2010 with 47,000 miles and now has about 67,000 a year later.
Beautiful car both inside and out, and you find that new models (2010+) have copied the styling cues (Jaguar XF, Chevy Malibu, Hyundai Sonata and must recently the Volvo S60).
That says much for the overall exterior design and impact.
The interior is fantastic, as well as the engine/drivetrain.
I would buy another used, especially if Certified Pre-Owned, but the new prices are rediculous.

The exterior styling and interior is absolutely beautiful and tastefully done. There seems to be no extraneous styling or chrome.. Everything has its place and nothing detracts from its beauty. The interior is trimmed with high quality leather, wood and plastic , that after 6 years of normal use, many can not tell that the care is this old.

As for problems, here they are--understading that this was a used car--had to replace both tail lights due to failure of the LEDs (not bulbs); replacement of the heater control valve; replacement of both HID Xenon headlight bulbs; mysterious situation where it went into SAFE mode and had to be towed to the dealer and reset. Additionally it always seems like a tire is out of balance, but that may be a problem of the Continental ContiPro tires. With the Multi-Media Interface (MMI) you will find that there are mysterious errors that will happen, but resolve themselves the next time the car is started.

As Safe As They Say
By rslikesaudi

2005 Audi A6 3.2 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 6A)

I bought a 2005 A6 in 2007, had it 2.5 years, then was rear-ended on a stopped off-ramp by another driver who was going over 60 miles per hour.
A 4000 lb car was spun 180 degrees, slid across 2 lanes, down a hill, and over a concrete drain.
The car was totaled but I walked away.
All 4 doors on the car still worked although the rears were no longer aligned.

The car only had minor problems up until it was killed.
One LED that went out intermittently.
Service, brakes, tires, were about as
usual on a euro sedan.
Definitely a high speed cruiser but can handle turns very well.
Interior quality so much better than BMW.

It's a great car.
I'm buying another, probably an 07 or 08.

Interior quality, smooth acceleration, quiet at high speeds on the interstate, spacious but nimble. Looks great and people look at it all the time. Did I mention Safe!

Many were made in later models like making LEDs replaceable without replacing the entire light unit. More side bolstering on the front seats is needed due to the handling. Full audio integration (aux/usb) should be available and standard in a car like this. Everything else is great.