2002 Audi A6 3.0 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Good, but...
By Ant

2002 Audi A6 3.0 Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

As a more affordable and more interesting design than the old 5 series, the a6 was my first choice, and the beautiful interior stil looks great, even without navigation. Although it's extremely comfortable and has plenty of power for the average driver, I've had numerous problems, ranging from new window washers every year to an entire new transmission at 35k miles. The check engine and abs lights come on often, the stereo occasionally has a 30 minute meltdown, the rear windows stopped working...general deju vu for the classic audi-electrics sufferer. Handling on the non-quattro is also pretty sluggish...doesn't feel tight in turns although the 2003 got far far better.

Favorite Features

Beautiful instrument display. tape deck means you can run your iPod with a $25 tape-connector instead of a $500 aftermarket audio jack. Backseat room is great as is the enormous trunk

Suggested Improvements

The worst designed cruise control in the history of motoring, absolutely stupid! Why can't the a6 have a coin tray like the a4?

Better than BMW
By Kendall

2002 Audi A6 3.0 Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

A great German luxury car for those with the urge to be different. I am guilty of owning boring BMW's for much of my driving life but have found more style and comfort with Audi. These 3 years have produced far more driving pleasure with routine maintenance absolutely no repair bills. This car has truly unique styling that is not boring and conformist (or just plain ugly) like many BMW and Mercedes models. We get lots of compliments on this car whether people are riding in it or just looking at it.

Favorite Features

The Multitronic CVT transmission provides seamless, shiftless automatic performance and manual style shifting when desired. What a great innovation and gets about 26 MPG. The Bose stereo system with in-dash 6 CD changer, tape and wheel controls has got the tunes covered.

Suggested Improvements

Quattro/CVT option would be nice. If you want more power there are many engine options but the CVT is only offered on the 3.0 model.

Interstate Comfort and Safety
By David L

2002 Audi A6 3.0 Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

The A6 is easy to drive and blast through the Sierra Nevada interstate system. As I let my 16 year old drive from Vegas to San Diego, it is a joy to let him learn to "operate" this vehicle. I feel confidence in Audi, and am looking at the new A4 2.0T for my next trip to the dealership. The CVT now feels "right" with my stop and go driving in town... but took getting used to. The MPG has been 22-26 without really trying. I am now a convert of the teutonic quality build of this A6, and will recommend it to all my best friends. I have had no problems with this car.

Favorite Features

Steering feel, interstate travel, safety and quality feel to all the controls. CD changer is excellent. Instrument panel is intuitive and easy to read, both day and night.

Suggested Improvements

More air conditioning channeled to the rear passengers. Hot Mojave Desert requires good air conditioning to all passengers.........

Black beauty
By Kovacstx

2002 Audi A6 3.0 Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

The car is simply beautiful. But which Audi isn't? Even with the new A6 out on the market the 2002 still looks very stylish. I bought it for my wife who is switching from a 323i (We bought the BMW new and had a mass of problems, turned out to be a dissapointment). The A6 is very comfortable and the CVT shifter is smooth. It's got enough umph to beat most like cars at the light but I did not buy it to race. I wanted a stylish touring sedan with plenty of space, comfort, power, and for great (European) heritage. Since we bought it the engine oil level sensor has been replaced in it by the dealer.

Favorite Features

Interior beats any other german make in design, comfort. Favorites: Seats, CVT transmission, large trunk, quiet, smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder was designed for coke cans only. When will the Europeans start commuting with the large coffe mug? Until then we'll just have to wipe off the rich leather seats...

Audi A6
By Rayden003

2002 Audi A6 4.2 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

I have read some Bulletin Board comments regarding some reliability problems with the Audi A6. My experience has been completely opposite. It is the most reliable and well-built car I have owned. My last car was an Acura TL, also a very reliable car, but the Audi came out ahead on almost every detail. Bought it new in 2002 and after 42,000 miles have never had a single problem.

Favorite Features

Firm seating, nice leather. Smart interior electronics. Excellent climate control with dual climate zones. Acceleration is more than adequate, although, not a barn-burner.

Suggested Improvements

Exterior styling is classic, but rather boring. There are 50 other cars/models which look very much the same.

This car is the worst I've ever owned
By Unhappy Buyer

2002 Audi A6 3.0 Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

The car is always in the shop. The "Check Engine" light goes off every 6 weeks. I would NEVER buy another Audi again. if you think of buying one, DON"T!!!! Get a Lexus instead!!!!

Feels great
By cliff

2002 Audi A6 2.7T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

My 2002 Audi A6 2.7T is really fun to drive. The touch shifting is great in the mountains and a adds a great deal to safety in slowing and cornering capability. The car is very quick between 40 and 80 MPH and handles very smoothly. I have the Winter package which adds tremendous comfort on the cold days. The Bose sound system is awesome!

Favorite Features

Performance, handling, smooth ride, and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

The turbo engine likes to eat gas, but I still average 21 mpg.

2002 Audi A6 3.0 Fwd Sedan
By dempetro

2002 Audi A6 3.0 Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I enjoy this car because it drives smoothly, has a powerful engine, (for a 6-cilinder), has an excellent Interior. I have not experienced any mechanical problems yet. My A6 has a high level of comfort for the driver and passengers.

Favorite Features

multitronic Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT), Automatic Stability Control, Trip Computer

Suggested Improvements

None

My A6
By tacik

2002 Audi A6 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

A Fun car to drive, esspecially in the sport mode. But the fuel economy in the city is very poor.

Favorite Features

Sport Mode.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy in the city.

Audi on the move
By doug pincus

2002 Audi A6 2.7T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

My 2.7t A6 manual transmission is a great car. If you have the need for speed and crave the excellence of a german car this is for you. Benz, BMW and the likes better keep there engineers on the ball because Audi is coming to kick you to the curb. I would buy another Audi. this is already my 2nd Audi. Belly up to the line and let rock!

Favorite Features

The power handling especially in fowl weather. Put that in your tank and smoke it!

Suggested Improvements

nothing at this time!