2002 Audi A6 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A6 model:
By susry on 06/25/09 12:50 PM (PDT)

2002 Audi A6 Sedan 3.0 Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We have had nothing but problems since purchasing this vehicle. The high repair costs have really turned me off on Audi. CV Boots, some part in the transmission, motor bushings, and now they tell me that the transmission needs replacing. This is the last Audi that this family will own.

Won't do it again
By dano1000 on 05/27/09 10:42 AM (PDT)

2002 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is supposed to go 200,000 miles. European luxury and engineering. Less than 100,000 in I have had a plethora of minor problems (windows, trim, latches and brackets broken) and major issues (radiator rot/leak, trans slip, tie rod(s) failure). Most disappointing is that Audi doesn't seem to care -- happy to have a piece of junk riding the highways with their name on it. To set the standard, Honda replaced my transmission at 145,000 miles due to known problem. I'll stick with the Japanese.

Bad Choice
By Bullz on 04/09/09 05:59 AM (PDT)

2002 Audi A6 Sedan 3.0 Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Audi's motto is "Truth in Engineering". What a joke! Our Audi needed new brakes at 23K miles, and a new CVT at 45K miles. Neither the dealer or Audi of NA would admit the deficient designs. Audi never again.

No compromise car
By Michel Aubé on 03/17/09 14:03 PM (PDT)

2002 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

It's a no compromise car, it has power, control, style, comfort and safety. Purchased it 82,000 miles, only rode 1,500 miles with it so far but I never experience anything like it. A co-workers owns two A6 with the 2.8 engine, the oldest has 200k and the other is at 150K. Since I take care of my cars I feel confident that I may keep it for a while. It give me about 24/25 MPG if I keep the speed under control which is okay for an AWD. Better than my Durango and slightly less than my Subaru H6 LL Bean. But these cars are not in the same league compare to the Audi.

Poor quality in a pretty package
By Donna on 02/17/09 17:01 PM (PST)

2002 Audi A6 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Attractive design wrapped around a nightmare of ongoing expensive repair bills for items I have NEVER had break on any other car I have ever owned! Keeping up with regular maintenance does not help avert the $1500 to $2000 bi-monthly repair bills that begin when the car hits around 75K miles. This has convinced me to NEVER buy another Audi - good looks and style are not worth much when you frequently get stranded on the roadside with a dead car and have to face towing cost AND a couple of thousand dollars of repairs. Not worth the premium I paid for poorly engineered mechanics :-(

High tech sedan
By High performance sed on 08/06/08 20:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Audi A6 Sedan 4.2 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

I use mainly for highway. I replaced air filter with K&N and new irridium plugs. I now get 26 to 28 mpg depending on whether I go 80 or 60 mph. I have had no problems and this car is built by the same people that make Porsche so everything is high performance, even the brake fluid. Thus more maintainance. It costs to go fast. I recently test drove a Mercedes S430 and as soon as I got back in my A6 4.2 it was far superior in road feel and handling. This is a double overhead cam V8 with 5 valves per cylinder. Ferrari is the only other car company with this sofistication. So if you want a mundane sedan this is not for you. This car is a race bred sedan down to the low profile tires.

Still a great car. Better than new
By Tim on 12/21/07 13:46 PM (PST)

2002 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

This really is a great car. I has power, AWD, style and comfort. I have been looking to replace it recently with either an STS, G35, CTS and others, but I keep coming back to it. It is roomy for a family, much more than the above cars and the materials are quality, though not as much as my old '94. It is smooth, quiet and powerful. It is not cheap like most Japanese or domestic cars. If you buy these used with low miles they are an absolute steal. The turbo is great for power and you can add a chip for more power if you want.

One year of ownership
By 1st Audi A6 on 09/19/07 07:27 AM (PDT)

2002 Audi A6 Sedan 3.0 Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I've owned this car for a year now and overall I am happy with the car. The A6 is a pure joy to drive. It is very quiet at highway speeds, is comfortable for long trips, there's lots of room in the back seat for adults, and the trunk is enormous. Parts and online forums are readily available for DIY work. I've had one major problem: the transmission was repaired at 50,000. It took Audi 2 months to fix the car which is just too long. CV boots seem to be a regular repair item for Audi in general. I replaced one at 48k. Other than those two repairs the car has been problem-free. However, I recommend that if you buy an Audi then get one that is CPO or purchase an extended warranty. Check out your local dealer's reputation as they can make or break your ownership experience.

Impress yourself
By Becky's on 08/13/07 18:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

2.7T with 6 speed purchased certified used from Audi dealer. Our fourth Audi. Beautiful design inside and out and great build quality. Can feel a bit clumsy around town, with firm suspension and too light steering. Once over 45 it is all good, very good. Really shows itself after a long day driving in bad weather. You simply feel safe, secure and confident and when you wish, this 4,000 car will really scoot along. A sweet engine. Full size people can fit front and rear in the great seats. We maintain by book and have had only routine maintenance at 108,000 miles. Average about 25 MPG with 50% intersate driving.

Nice Looking and Roomy, but Problematic!
By CSD on 06/09/07 09:12 AM (PDT)

2002 Audi A6 Sedan 3.0 Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Purchased the car brand new in 2002. Great looking car, and very roomy interior. However, car is extremely sluggish off the start. Acceleration can be jerky. Power windows have been a problem for me. My biggest pet peeve is the high maintenance/repair costs, as well as the frequency of repairs. I have similar issues as others, such as the instrument panel has pixel fade. Interior paint on climate control buttons have chipped.