Used 2001 Audi A6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Audi A6 - Consumer Reviews

2001 Audi A6 Sedan

View reviews for a specific A6 model:

More maintance than I can afford
By Tim

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought it used thinking I could put 200,000 miles on it. Not so, Engine gaskets and seals twice, frozen turbo, Airbag controller those are the $1,00 plus. Less than $1,000 tie rods, control arms, misc suspension parts, window guides, differential seals (all 3), O2 sensors. Fun to drive , great to look at but built poorly.

Too many problems
By jaggi20

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased my vehicle independently from a very nice old lady with 150000 miles on the vehicle and she had nothing more than the usual things to fix like brakes and fluid. I have had the car for half a year now and have spent 7k on repairs so far. 5k of that coming within a week and a half of each other. It is a fantastic car to drive but is not nearly reliable enough for someone who depends a great deal on their car. It has turned out to big nothing more than a money pit for me. So much for all the buzz about German engineering that I heard when I first purchased the car.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, great acceleration and handling. Very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

It needs to be more mechanically reliable. If the car didn't break down every other week then it would be phenomenal.

Not so good!
By Mayo

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I looked at Audi's for a long time and finally bought it! Almost 2 years later and boy what a mistake!! I was trading in a Jeep so I could get better gas mileage and it's not a big improvement. I get about 18-20mpg & that's 75% highway and rest city. I have had to replace many parts and of course they are EXTREMELY expensive to fix. The car rides nice and looks good but be prepared to spend a lot to fix it when it breaks! For supposedly being a German performance car it doesn't handle that well. 2.7T has good power most of the time but there is a decent delay if you try to accelerate quickly. I won't ever own an Audi or foreign car again, this one ruined it!

Favorite Features

Heated seats, Bose stereo and sunroof

Suggested Improvements

Expensive to fix (anything)! Fuel economy isn't good for a car!

Great car
By kaoz250F

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 4.2 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned a 2.8 A6 prior to this 4.2. I have been hard on my cars but not reckless or with ignorance. I enjoy taking the long way home just to drive on some mountain roads with these cars. I have not found them unreliable and actually I trusted them more than any other car I've been in. Short drives do not do them justice they shine in adverse weather conditions and excessively long drives. I have only had to fix things that the previous owners had damaged them due to ignorance. Quality is there, you just need to appreciate it more and treat better than a normal car.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, heated steering wheel, ability to turn off traction control, transmission, and solid chassis.

High maintenance
By coalminer

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 4.2 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

The car has good looks and drives well when not in the shop. Audi engineers need to make a car more reliable and less costly to fix. Had the car 2.5 years and spent $16,000 in repairs from engine work to sensors to cracked rims. What next? Dont buy one new or used its a money pit!

Suggested Improvements

New engineers at Audi to design a mechanically good car