2001 Audi A6 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A6 model:
The best and worst car I've driven
By kodylokster on 04/02/08 17:48 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

The audi a6 2.7t is one of the best cars I've driven. It handles, performance, and feels so comfortable. After a few months smoke came out of the tail pipes. I took it in the shop and found out there was a oil leak plus coolant leak. Auto shop says it'll be about 3 grand for repairs and my limited warranty didn't cover gasket and seals. That stinks especially when it was about 2 grand for the warranty. After reading other people experience with the same problems makes me wonder. Audi quality kinda stinks. Maybe a weak gasket or bad quality seals or just the way it was build internally could lose value.

High Maintenance
By Vishnu on 03/27/08 22:22 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

Its a luxury sedan(I wouldnt call it luxury sports) since it doesnt handle corners as well as a BMW would. Quattro is good and it has a solid body. But parts under the hood are very unreliable and break often. I've had the cam seals and valve cover gaskets changed twice, headlamp went out, coolant leak(water pump changed), wheel cracked, door handle cable snapped, cup-holder broken, oxygen sensors failed. I spent $4000 last month fixing all the above and a timing belt at a local mechanic(dealership wouldve cost me $6000) And now the auto-dimming rearview mirror is broke - i plan to fix it myself

I love the car
By James on 02/13/08 12:28 PM (PST)

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 4.2 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

This a great car if you love to drive. The car responds to your driving. Great handling in any type of weather. Great performance car. I push the car and it still ask for more.

So far so good...
By dave on 01/14/08 09:52 AM (PST)

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 4.2 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this used with 78k miles. It's a 2001 4.2 with sport package and all upgrades. First thing I did was do full timing belt service. Not cheap, but good insurance. Car runs great and performance is strong. Previous owner lowered 1.5", so handling is great, but ride is choppy. Hazard light unit failed shortly after buying -- a $300 fix. But with both fingers crossed, I'm very pleased with the car. Around $20k invested in total now. Barring any major service, this is a good value for what you get.

2001 Audi A6
By Bill on 12/23/07 18:42 PM (PST)

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

Performance, handling, and overall quality very good. Very happy so far. Shopped around and compaired with other cars of this caliber, the all wheel drive was a strong selling point.

6 Years of great Driving and Reliability
By donschwinn on 11/16/07 12:50 PM (PST)

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I'm the original owner. 78k miles now. Replaced brakes and tires twice. Had 2 minor mechanical problems fixed under warranty. Gets 26 mpg on the highway; 22 around town. It has the perfect combination of sporty handling and acceleration along with comfortable cruising. I keep thinking about a new one (the 6-year itch) but this one has a lot of life and fun driving left in it. This is my 3rd Audi--1988, 1996. Each was excellent.

Inexpensive Luxury
By Inexpensive Luxury on 08/11/07 07:34 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Great car. Much more reliable than the 2.7 turbo. Comfortable to drive with a bit of sport to it when using the shift feature. Fuel economy could be better but is great for what is essentially a large car with all wheel drive. Plenty of room both up front and for rear seat passengers. Big trunk. Great handling and never slips in the snow. I can just jump in and go with up to 8 inches of snow. The only problem that I had was with the dash display fading but it was replaced under an extended warranty.

2001 Audi A6 2.8
By gwood on 07/29/07 07:59 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my A6 2.8 used in 2002. It was in perfect condition and had low miles. It was, and still is, a beautiful car and a pleasure to drive. At the time of purchase, my commute to work was about 32 miles one way on interstate highway. Speeds where high and traffic heavy. I always felt safe in my Audi due to their reputation and side curtain air bags. I love everything about this car except its lousy maintenance history. It has been a very expensive (dollars and time) car to own. I can live with components wearing out and needing replacement but the continual oil leaks are unacceptable. It seems that I've had every gasket and seal replace on the engine, drive train and power steering.

Great car - if you don't mind the repair
By Audi2.7T on 03/23/07 07:01 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

Initially I was in love with this car from the first test drive, but 4 months and 7000 miles later I no longer own it. The car is a joy to drive and with the optional sport suspension and 18 inch rims has absolutely incredible handling. The car is extremely comfortable to drive. It had 61,000 miles on it when I bought it, and in my time with the car it needed cam seals, valve cover gaskets, temperature sensor, door lock, instrument cluster, HID ignitor, radio, power steering pump, front brake rotors. Near as I can figure about $5000 worth of work - thank God for the CPO warranty. I was able to get pretty much out of it what I paid for it because of all the repairs which were done.

Should I Stay or Should I Go?
By MikeR on 12/19/06 14:43 PM (PST)

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought a 2001 2.7T with 80,000 miles in September 2005. Since then, I had to replace two bad turbos and oxygen sensors. After that it was a couple broken seals. Then a couple months after having the 80,000 mile check up, the transmission/4 wheel drive system went out (3 weeks at an Audi dealer waiting for parts). I had begun to notice some strange goings on with the interior lights. In addition, when in heavy traffic for an extended period of time, the trip meter (miles before filling up) flips out and a blinking time set begins to display. Good thing I bought an expensive 2 year extended warranty with the car, but I'm really falling out of love.