Used 2001 Audi A6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Audi A6 - Consumer Reviews

2001 Audi A6 Sedan

View reviews for a specific A6 model:

Great looking and that's about it
By Andy T

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 4.2 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased the car used with less then 30k miles. Had all the bells and whistles. Great looking car but no reliability in this vehicle. Before having 5ok miles timing belt had to be replaced and water pump went out. Great looking car but not up to par against Infiniti, BMW or Lexus...i will never buy another Audi again!

Favorite Features

Looks and the Quattro was great in snow

Suggested Improvements

Spend some money making it more reliable

The Last Mohigan- 215K!
By Ellen829

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I discovered this site this evening as I am researching new vehicles. Alas, my Audi a6 and I are soon to part ways. We've endured 7.5 years together, with minimal disagreements. Outside of routine maintenance, I've invested perhaps 3-4k or so, collectively. Purchased the car with 27k, and it currently has over 215k on it! (with my occupation as sales manager, it behooves me to hold onto my vehicles). Can I say I've been pleased? in a word, yes! I am actually feeling a little saddened over my soon- to-be split with my a6, but as we all know, all good things must come to an end. The divorce is indeed amicable.

Super car
By Hermannr

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

This is our third Audi, was impressed with the first two, (67 and 71) so I took the chance to purchase this one off Ebay for my wife. We've put 35,000 miles on it in the last 4 years and other than regular maintenance, we have had only the alternator fail. Average fuel economy 27 mpg in the summer and 23.5 mpg in the snow. Best fuel economy on a trip so far was 32.1 mpg. It is a little hard on tires (or is that me?) The turbo's really help with the high altitude here. With all the driving we do on gravel and dirt roads, not a single squeak or rattle. Super car.

Favorite Features

The Quattro system, ESP and ABS are put to very good use every winter. The car has never failed to get us out even after a heavy snow. Super on ice and during spring breakup really like the computer.

Suggested Improvements

could use a bit more ground clearance during spring breakup. not having to take the whole front of the the car off to change out the alternator.

Great car but can be expensive
By Keane

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

Excellent engine. Any review that says the power isn't there is way off. It produces almost 100 hp/liter which is excellent. Handling matches the power as well resulting in a very fun car. Also very comfortable on the interior. However, repairs will be expensive(count on that). I replaced both turbos which was roughly $4300. A word of advice is to make sure you have a mechanic who knows audis work on the car, not the guy down the street. Love the car but don't want to end up paying for repairs.

Favorite Features

Turbos, handling, interior, sunroof, bose

Suggested Improvements

Pricey repairs, gas mileage

audi = garbage
By steve

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I knew I was taking a big chance when I purchased this Audi a6 quattro turbo with 109,000 miles given the car's reputation for poor reliability. However, I got it at a great price and was assured from the previous owner that it was well taken care of with all maintenance done as scheduled. With-in 3 weeks problems started, front struts started squeaking, took it to dealer to inspect, that will be $900.00 please. Then a few month's later a/c went out dealer says just $1200.00 please. Then recently all dash lights went out without warning. Dealer says just $800.00 please. Turbo is failing I was told and will have to be replaced within the next 6 month's. Dealer says just $2800.00 please. Never again!

Favorite Features

when i finally trade it in will be my favorite feature.

Suggested Improvements

improve the quality in these cars.