2001 Audi A6 2.8 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

garbage
By steven

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

Where do I begin to tell the story of a car that's been a sin. Purchased this 2001 a6 quattro in March of last year used with 90,000 miles on it. It's been a nightmare ever since. Numerous problems regarding electrical, turbo, and suspension components. I asked the dealer if the car comes with bags of money for all the repairs that it requires and it didn't. Build quality on these cars is horrible. We traded it in recently for a 2010 Kia forte coup sx with a nice long warranty and piece of mind.

Favorite Features

Power, handling, interior features when they are working.

Suggested Improvements

to many improvements needed to list here and i am running out of characters remaining.

My Favorite Car ever
By cb

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Leased new. Never a problem. Bought it from Audi, Never a problem. I would like to buy a new car but after 114k miles I still can't find one I like better. Our '06 Infinity M35x doesn't compare, even though it is a more expensive car. This thing just goes and goes. Oil change, tires, window wiper blades. Leaves no oil on my garage floor, just an unbelievable car. At this rate, I have no plans to change before 150,000 miles. Since the paint and interior still look great, only a car buff knows I am driving a ten year old vehicle.

Favorite Features

Heated Seats, AWD, Cool Red Dashboard.

Suggested Improvements

The old 2.8 engine is a dog, but a reliable dog. This car is built for smooth, not for drag racing.

Great car but can be expensive
By Keane

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

Excellent engine. Any review that says the power isn't there is way off. It produces almost 100 hp/liter which is excellent. Handling matches the power as well resulting in a very fun car. Also very comfortable on the interior. However, repairs will be expensive(count on that). I replaced both turbos which was roughly $4300. A word of advice is to make sure you have a mechanic who knows audis work on the car, not the guy down the street. Love the car but don't want to end up paying for repairs.

Favorite Features

Turbos, handling, interior, sunroof, bose

Suggested Improvements

Pricey repairs, gas mileage

Super car
By Hermannr

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

This is our third Audi, was impressed with the first two, (67 and 71) so I took the chance to purchase this one off Ebay for my wife. We've put 35,000 miles on it in the last 4 years and other than regular maintenance, we have had only the alternator fail. Average fuel economy 27 mpg in the summer and 23.5 mpg in the snow. Best fuel economy on a trip so far was 32.1 mpg. It is a little hard on tires (or is that me?) The turbo's really help with the high altitude here. With all the driving we do on gravel and dirt roads, not a single squeak or rattle. Super car.

Favorite Features

The Quattro system, ESP and ABS are put to very good use every winter. The car has never failed to get us out even after a heavy snow. Super on ice and during spring breakup really like the computer.

Suggested Improvements

could use a bit more ground clearance during spring breakup. not having to take the whole front of the the car off to change out the alternator.

Great looking and that's about it
By Andy T

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 4.2 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased the car used with less then 30k miles. Had all the bells and whistles. Great looking car but no reliability in this vehicle. Before having 5ok miles timing belt had to be replaced and water pump went out. Great looking car but not up to par against Infiniti, BMW or Lexus...i will never buy another Audi again!

Favorite Features

Looks and the Quattro was great in snow

Suggested Improvements

Spend some money making it more reliable

Fun to drive
By bwb

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought the car used w/ 38K miles, now with 110K. Has been a true pleasure to drive, I still get positive comments on it. Great on the highway and fun in the turns. Very comfortable for 4 with room in the trunk. Purchase with eyes open as repairs can get $$. I have an excellent independent mechanic shop (stay away from dealerships (one repair the dealer quoted $1700 to repair, they did it for $400) and with their help, I have to spend 500-2K a year on extra repairs and have never been stranded. Sports seats=will be uncomfortable if you need extra displacement upon seating. Sports suspension=firm ride. Alloy wheel=possible bent rims.

Favorite Features

Mid/high range acceleration. All wheel drive. Interior comfort. Driving it.

Suggested Improvements

Poor gas mileage in the city (it is a 6 cylinder/turbo). Better engineering regarding seals (cams/oil returns etc.) some turbo lag. Easier expansion of the sound system.

A solidly built German car
By AmJosh

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this Audi A6 quattro with 2.8 V6 after reading a lot of reviews about this car. There were too many problems reported with 2.7T, so kept away from that. This 2.8 V6 can surely use more power, especially at low speeds. However, if you are little patient, the speed builds effortlessly from about 40-50 MPH. The ride quality is awesome. Little stiff for city driving, however the solid grip it has on the road makes for it. The car is built like a tank and you feel it at high speeds. The car gets more and more stable with higher speed. This is a huge difference in feeling after coming from cars like toyota camry and highlander. I love the interior and exterior looks and quality of material.

Favorite Features

Bose sound system is good. The climate controls and memory seats are nice. The refinement of the engine and its performance at high RPM is simply awesome. It has a subdued luxury feeling associated with it and I just love it. The exterior is truly extraordinary. The trunk space is huge.

Suggested Improvements

The engine power at low speeds needs definite improvement. It can use larger wheels and tires for better handling and smooth ride.

My A6 Deserted Me!
By Don Schwinn

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I wrote a very positive earlier review about how reliable the car was after 6 years of ownership. It must have jinxed me. Since then I've had an $1100 alternator replacement, a frozen front caliper and a broken right front coil spring (the day before I was to trade it in!) I bought a new 2009 Ford Fusion SEL AWD with nav, leather, heated seats, alloy wheels, rear backup sensor, Microsoft Sync, etc for 1/2 the price of a new A6. A close friend of mine who has the same car just spent $4000 in repairs on his 2001 A6.

Suggested Improvements

Extend the new car total warranty to 100,000 miles!

Catalyic converter problems
By Dennis

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car as a certified used car. The converters were replaced by Audi at 52000 miles and 69000 miles later I find I need to replace them again to the tune of 2500. It would appear the converters have a problem since I have maintained the car as directed by Audi and have always used premium fuel. I would be concerned about buying a used high mileage Audi. Other than this hit and front end suspension repairs this has been a good car to drive. Please send money. ;-)

Favorite Features

Interior comfort and quality. Handling and feel. Just a great riding car.

Suggested Improvements

Improve catalytic converter design and improver front suspension and alignment durability.

120,000 miles and going strong
By Ariba Dave

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I am the original owner and have the car almost 10 years. There were some early electrical problems, fixed under warranty. I lowered the car which improved the handling and as such had to replace control arm bushings at 100k. Otherwise just small problems such as cup holders, window switches and a window which doesn't always go up easily. The paint still looks great as does the interior. No ripping or dramatic fading of leather or trim. Huge trunk. Great set of options compared to BWM at the time. Overall I'm happy and love the quattro. Next car will be another A6 or the A5, or maybe an Infinity G37x.

Favorite Features

Turbo power, handling, interior, bi- xenon headlights, rear seat room.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger cup holders, stiffer handling even with sports package.