Used 2001 Audi A6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Audi A6 Sedan

View reviews for a specific A6 model:

audi = garbage
By steve

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I knew I was taking a big chance when I purchased this Audi a6 quattro turbo with 109,000 miles given the car's reputation for poor reliability. However, I got it at a great price and was assured from the previous owner that it was well taken care of with all maintenance done as scheduled. With-in 3 weeks problems started, front struts started squeaking, took it to dealer to inspect, that will be $900.00 please. Then a few month's later a/c went out dealer says just $1200.00 please. Then recently all dash lights went out without warning. Dealer says just $800.00 please. Turbo is failing I was told and will have to be replaced within the next 6 month's. Dealer says just $2800.00 please. Never again!

Favorite Features

when i finally trade it in will be my favorite feature.

Suggested Improvements

improve the quality in these cars.

The Last Mohigan- 215K!
By Ellen829

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I discovered this site this evening as I am researching new vehicles. Alas, my Audi a6 and I are soon to part ways. We've endured 7.5 years together, with minimal disagreements. Outside of routine maintenance, I've invested perhaps 3-4k or so, collectively. Purchased the car with 27k, and it currently has over 215k on it! (with my occupation as sales manager, it behooves me to hold onto my vehicles). Can I say I've been pleased? in a word, yes! I am actually feeling a little saddened over my soon- to-be split with my a6, but as we all know, all good things must come to an end. The divorce is indeed amicable.

Pleased with purchase overall
By Thomas

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car over a year ago and thought a review would be of some help for others looking to purchase one. This is a great looking, great handling and riding vehicle considering the $4500 I paid for it. It was maintained well by the previous owner and had 130K on it when I purchased it. About 13,000 miles later here is what I have replaced: Aux. Fan for AC - $100, Two Front axles - $150, Front Brake Pads - $68.00, and Two Cam Seals - $16.00 for both. Audi wanted $1,800 to replace cam-seals. It took me approx 8 hrs to repair that problem. These are nice cars that are capable of running for a long time if maintained properly. If you are on a tight budget, don't buy one.

Favorite Features

Love the dash layout, stereo, comfort, quality feel, seats...This car drives beautifully. Love the QUATTRO in the winter.

Suggested Improvements

Replacing the cam seals was a bit of a pain. We had to pull all four cams, the timing belt, etc. This really should not have to be done to a car with only 140k on the odometer.

Absolute Tank!
By sjs

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought it back in June of 06' with 131,000 miles on it, it now has 171,000. It was purchased as an extra vehicle for my wife who has tried her hardest to kill it. She has been in three accidents one of them quite serious, we fixed it and it runs and drives great. I change the oil every 5,000 with synthetic of course. I do it myself to save money. It does have some of the leaky issues and the drivers side window is testy, but to its credit its almost 10 years old been put through the ringer by my wife's poor driving skills, and believe me, if you only knew. It is an awesome vehicle. Worth every penny. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Audi. It takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

Favorite Features

Bose stereo, all wheel drive, turbo power, HID's, still smooth running and after 10 years still looks contemporary.

Suggested Improvements

Not much to improve. I think they have refined it quite well with the recent models. However the fuel economy could have been better, but again the newer models offer that and lets not forget its a turbo with all wheel drive. What would you expect?

2001 A6 4.2
By enthusiast

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 4.2 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased the 4.2 under the Audi Certified program. I've accumulated over 100k with this car and it runs and looks fantastic. Continues to deliver a performance oriented drive that is supplemented with comfort and reliability. Maintenance has been limited to expected repairs for a car with over 110k on it.

Favorite Features

quiet smooth rattle free performance

Suggested Improvements

more lumbar support