Used 2001 Audi A6 Consumer Reviews - 111 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Audi A6 - Consumer Reviews

2001 Audi A6

View reviews for a specific A6 model:

Great to drive, horrible to maintain
By Plova

2001 Audi A6 2.8 Avant Quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Where to start ? Bought a 2001 A6 avant in 2006 with 106K on the clock. Car was in very good shape.
Within a year started having some issue.
Did timing belt replacement which is normal maintenance (about $500 in Audi parts if you do yourself). Have replaced the ABS module, 2 combi (EGR) valves, valve cover gaskets, etc.
At 149K had to replace 3 steering arms ($700 at shop).
Now transmission is acting up and need to replace at 151K.
Still have problems with secondary air system and was told by tech probably carbon build up in intake manifold after all other attempted repairs. Great car to drive but very expensive if you don't do the repairs yourself.

Performance and handling - fun to drive. For a wagon it is impressive. Quattro system excellent in snow and adverse weather. Good visibility and comfortable. Interior of car is very good build quality - no squeaks or rattles, even after 150K. Very surprised at suspension. Was looking a new shock by Audi tech asked why ? Hardly any bounce after recoil. Instruments intuitive. Has the foundation of a very good car but has too many common failures.

Improvements - in listed format. These failures are very common on the A6(C5) 2.8l platform (99-2001). 1.) ABS brake module (rebuild is about $200) 2.) Instrument panel - driver info center. The pixels almost always fade on every car. 3.)Secondary air system carbon build up problem- this is still an issue with the newer Audis. 4.) Prone to oil leaks, partly due to plugging of the crankcase breather system. 5.) Serviceability - ie. you need to remove the bumper & other parts to service timing belt. If you are going to buy Audi in this model year I would suggest buying a VAG-COM reader to diagnose inevitable check engine light codes. This is a difficult car to work on.

Fun to drive, but expensive
By Eric

2001 Audi A6 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought this car in '04 as a CPO'd car for my wife. Love the 2.7T engine, a blast of a car to drive. Comfortable ride. The downside, expensive to repair, seems every year that we've had it, and especially since the warranties ran out, we've had a $1,500 + repair bill for the year. Recently found that the trans needs work, hopefully this will be the last major item to repair for a long time. We bought the car with only 33,000 on it, we've put maybe 36,000 more miles in 6 yrs.

twin turbo V6, AWD

Electrical nightmare
By Darren

2001 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car for my wife in 2005. We loved it. We babied it in our garage. I was careful when I wash it. We took it for a drive south down to Vegas. We started having lots of electrical problems. I thought that German cars were the best of the best. Maybe not!! The spot lights, I was fixing, once a week and then the dash display led pin lighting started to go. Then I had other engine lights come on. I went to the Audi dealer in Kelowna and asked what the would be the cost of repairing the dash and it was almost $2000. I fixed what I could and quickly sold the car to a young lady( feeling very guilty). I would never buy another Audi or Vw product again. There is no quality.

Handling, ride and fuel economy

Fix all the electrical problems. Test your cars in the field before you sell them. Learn off Honda and Nissan.

audi = garbage
By steve

2001 Audi A6 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I knew I was taking a big chance when I purchased this Audi a6 quattro turbo with 109,000 miles given the car's reputation for poor reliability. However, I got it at a great price and was assured from the previous owner that it was well taken care of with all maintenance done as scheduled. With-in 3 weeks problems started, front struts started squeaking, took it to dealer to inspect, that will be $900.00 please. Then a few month's later a/c went out dealer says just $1200.00 please. Then recently all dash lights went out without warning. Dealer says just $800.00 please. Turbo is failing I was told and will have to be replaced within the next 6 month's. Dealer says just $2800.00 please. Never again!

when i finally trade it in will be my favorite feature.

improve the quality in these cars.

The Last Mohigan- 215K!
By Ellen829

2001 Audi A6 2.8 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I discovered this site this evening as I am researching new vehicles. Alas, my Audi a6 and I are soon to part ways. We've endured 7.5 years together, with minimal disagreements. Outside of routine maintenance, I've invested perhaps 3-4k or so, collectively. Purchased the car with 27k, and it currently has over 215k on it! (with my occupation as sales manager, it behooves me to hold onto my vehicles). Can I say I've been pleased? in a word, yes! I am actually feeling a little saddened over my soon- to-be split with my a6, but as we all know, all good things must come to an end. The divorce is indeed amicable.