Used 2000 Audi A6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A6 model:

Don't buy a 2000 A6Q
By Greg H

2000 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Beautiful to look at. Metallic tan w/ a tan inside brown dash. I still have my 1996 A6 w/ 250,000 miles on it as we speak I have to drive the 96 because the 2000 is in the shop. Since owning the car I've replaced both cat converters w/ O2 sensors, timing belt water pump , all ball joints and tie rods, a number of blown cooling hoses (leaving me stranded) including 1 that was inside the engine $$$$. Spent over $2,000 on a oil leak (still leaks) was told that it's natural for that to happen, sensors etc. My 96 was sooo flawless and fun to drive much more powerful and comfortable. THE ABSOLUTE BEST CAR I'VE EVER OWNED!!!. I COULDN'T WAIT TO GET A NEWER ONE AND NOW I'LL NEVER BUY ANOTHER AUDI

Love to Drive my A6
By mrstros

2000 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Purchased my A6 at 46K and it now has 112K miles. Everyone time I get in to drive it feels like a brand new car. The worse the weather the better it feels to drive. I truly love this car. Had only one big problem when interior flooded when cowl drain plugged. Great mileage as it averages 22 mpg when driven daily with AWD. Very well engineered.

Favorite Features

Interior is excellent quality. Seats have never shown signs of wear. Dash is striking. Bose stereo spoils you, sound is excellent. Love the 5 speed auto with triptronic. Paint is excellent also.

Suggested Improvements

Wish it had a longer warranty and service wasn't so expensive.

multiple oil leaks
By e.tuirner

2000 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Don't get me wrong I love driving my Audi A6 2.7. But don't let me park in your driveway. I have the valve cover gasket changed three times last year and once this year, it leaks oil out of any and every place possible! The dealer told me that there are over a thousand places that the leaks could come from. I still love driving the A6 and if I could stop those oil leaks, I would be on top of the world. And why can't someone make better gaskets for that darn Audi. And so what if my check engine is always on, it reminds me that I have an engine for now!!!!!!!

Favorite Features

All wheel drive has to be on top of the list, next is the twin turbos with almost no turbo lag. Yes yes yes!

Suggested Improvements

Better engineered gaskets, better engineered ignition control modules.

Glad I bought the 4.2l
By Paul

2000 Audi A6 Sedan 4.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This is my 5th audi. The 4.2l is a rocket on wheels and my favorite so far. Engine has been maint. free other then the standard timing belt / water pump change ($800) at 80K. Break pads last ~40K. Minor non-driveability repairs. Window switch ($110) 2x failed, 5 min DIY repair. Front end torsion squeaks (>$1000). Expensive oil changes ($80). Center display is getting dim. Most fun daily driver I have ever owned. Unique body and interior of the 4.2l sets it far about the mundane 2.7Ts. Great in the snow. Almost as fast as my 911. Find a non-dealer Audi mech., I haven't met a dealer yet that will let me out of the service bay for <$1000 of questionable repairs.

Favorite Features

310hp! Body style. Interior layout - at nighttime it looks like a jet fighter. Rear "bucket" type heated seats are popular.

Suggested Improvements

Typical lack of German ability to get the cup holders correct. Nagging little electronics issues.

Fun to drive but drains your pockets
By audi4.2

2000 Audi A6 Sedan 4.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car with 80,000 a year ago. Its a wonderfull car to drive, i have had majors problems. Trasmission went out with no reverse two months ago.Audi dealer quote was 7000 for a rebulit which was almost as much as the car was worth. If you want a fun sedan 300hp safe in the winter all wheel drive, but it's going to cost you hundreds or thousands of dollars to maintain. I'm in the middle right I've spent already more money than the car is worth. She runs really good now and I hope for the new few years.

Favorite Features

300 hp V8, all wheel drive, wide body, Bose system, front and rear heated seats

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, cup holders, more storge comparments, cheaper to maintain