2000 Audi A6 2.8 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

I'll buy another one
By padre

2000 Audi A6 Sedan 4.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This is the most comfortable - front and back, best performing vehicle I have owned. 4.2 litre is very good on gas - 24 mph at 7 years old. I have put very little money into it -- brakes and preventive maintenance. Cost of ownership has been low. I will buy another 4.2 A-6 or A-8. I have very little fatigue driving long distances as opposed to my BMW, Volvo, Toyota.

Favorite Features

Tiptronic; 4.2 litre power and gas mileage

Stay away from this model
By bullcell

2000 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Problems included: (first two within 3 months of warranty expiration) 1. electronic window malfunction 2. LED dashboard diplay went out 3. Broken plastic in console lid, cup holders, & seat levers 4. Bad CVC joints and suspension assemblies 5. Broken camshaft & blown motor at 84000 miles (no hard driving & well maintained).

This car has been big trouble for me
By swells

2000 Audi A6 Sedan 4.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

The car is now eight years old but has just 57k miles. The last three to four years I have sunk a ton of money into it. Every time I think I'm past the worst, something else happens. Most of it has been replacing the water pump, timing belt, etc. But there are things I have not repaired that should be, e.g. the instrument panel and AM radio. The information box is barely readable and requires a whole new instrument panel ($800+). AM radio went out years ago - estimate to repair was $2600! I was about to trade the car in the fall but it needed $1400 in work. Thought I would keep it a while longer, now the tranny goes bad (reverse clutch) and the estimate is >$7k. I'll never own another Audi.

Favorite Features

None anymore, I have totally soured on this car.

Suggested Improvements

I would like a car that can still go in reverse when it has less than 60k miles on it.

Love the Car but Repairs are Too Costly
By Jenn

2000 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Overall I am grateful for the exceptional handling, especially fantastic in snow, but the expensive parts and repairs after ~70k miles have me disappointed in the long term value of this car. Just before the extended warranty ran out, I had the AM radio fixed (it had never worked). When I picked up the car I found that the warranty company had paid about $1,000 for that repair alone. Since then I've been spending about $1.5k - 3k every six months on repairs. As noted in other reviews, CD player failed and LCD panel faded at about 80k. The cup holders are flawed. I also no longer run back to the dealer to pay $110 for diagnosing the Check Engine Light that comes on every 2-3 months.

Favorite Features

Bose stereo rocks. Quattro drive and Tiptronic are amazing. Handles ice covered hills with ease. (In a recent Colorado blizzard, I was run off a dirt road by a large funiture truck traveling far too fast. The Audi pulled out of that snow filled ditch without a hitch and I kissed the steering wheel!)

A6
By unknown

2000 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

i bought this car 2 mos ago with 83k. i loved it at first. i feel safe in it. i just had the timing belt go before it should have and cause major engine damage. i have heard a lot about sensors going bad. i would never buy another one with out a warranty. it is just not wise or financially practical because something is bound to go wrong because of the notorious electrical problems, and the cost to fix is high.

Favorite Features

Feel safe in bad weather. Inside is comfortable and appealing.

Suggested Improvements

My timing belt went at 86k. the owner manual didn't suggest changing it until 105k. Electrical dependancy.

Wonderful Car
By craig

2000 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I have had my 2.7T since new (6 years) and it is a superb ride. At 70,000 miles I upgraded suspension with Eibach springs, Bilsein gas shocks, 17" BBS wheels and Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires. Wish I had done that sooner. The handling has gone from floaty to tracking on rails. The turbo motor is smooth, fast and fun. I can take the care anywhere and it looks great, especailly now that it's lowered a bit. Audi is making terrific cars these days. I love it. Only disappointment has been the brakes. Typical Audi issue.

Favorite Features

Turbo

Suggested Improvements

Brake rotors warp quickly.

Quid Pro Quo
By L Mac

2000 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought the car with 78k miles, to use as a weekly commuter vehicle, between Long Island, NY and New Hampshire, while doing contract work in NY. I was familiar with a friend's 4.2, and figured a quattro drive was critical for long weekly drives, through a Northeast Winter. However, because I insisted on a standard transmission, but still wanted performance, I went with the 2.7 biturbo 6-speed(sport package).

Favorite Features

The seats, driving position, appointments, suspension, Quattro drive, and engine are all top notch.

Suggested Improvements

I agree with criticisms regarding reliability issues, and cost to fix. Not for the feint of heart (or light of wallet). That said -- this car (now Dahlback chipped) is the performance cruiser I always dreamed of.

Audi A6 4.2L
By PBW

2000 Audi A6 Sedan 4.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Attracted by styling and beautiful interior, and of course, typical German handling qualities. Ride and comfort exceeded expectations. Some quality glitches but nothing major. Still as good as new with 65K.

Favorite Features

Styling features, stiff road feel for a large car, very drivable, peppy but not a hotrod. Very comfortable on the highway, better than any other car I have ever driven. And there's that 4.2L engine to get you going if need be.

Suggested Improvements

Quality control was only average, not nearly what I expected from a $50M car, not much different from a Mercedes or BMW or, frankly a VW.

Fast but unreliable
By medved

2000 Audi A6 Sedan 4.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This is a beautiful car but very expensive to maintain. Frequently has major mechanical and electrical problems that cost not hundreds but thousands of dollars to fix.

Favorite Features

Car is fast, all wheel drive is amazing in bad weather.

Suggested Improvements

This car and Audi brand is very expensive to maintain and the reliability is very poor. I have bought Audis for 20 years but after my recent experience would not recommend these cars.

Too bad Warranty Ended when it did
By josh carter

2000 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Let me start off by saying I LOVE the interior design/ comforts. The car has been RELIABLE, but as soon as the warranty expired, the in-dash CD and the HUD info window started failing/ stopped all togther. Audi is aware of the HUD issues (very common issue), but refuses to address it out of warranty, and is VERY expensive to fix.

Favorite Features

Interior decor/ ambiance... Looks like flying the space shuttle at night. Very cool.

Suggested Improvements

Address the performance/ reliability issues with the HUD window and in-dash CD