1999 A6 quattro
By iamrph68 on
1999 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD
Very good vehicle, but the repairs are expensive as the miles add up. I’ve had my A6 quattro for a little over 8 years & 150.000 miles. I bought the car with 47,000 miles & no problems until 98,000, then the serpentine belt tensioner broke. I went ahead a serviced the timing belt, water pump, etc. Later bought shocks from Germanautoparts.com & they are vastly superior to stock. The vehicle feels rock solid on the road and tracks straight with minimal input from the driver. Find yourself an Indie mechanic. I go to my local VW dealer for oil changes & some labor. VW parts are cheaper than Audi parts (SAME PARTS). Also, labor charge at Audi dealership is twice what VW dealer charges…Go figure.
Favorite Features
Quattro all-wheel drive is excellent in rain or snow. Heated seats are very comfortable and conform to my medium/large size body well. Bose stereo sounds crisp & clear. I like the the looks of the car. Even though it is 15 model years old this year (2014), it is still a good looking machine. I think the new Ford Taurus and one of the Kia models have the same basic outline of their bodies. If you can find one with less than 50,000 miles, I would recommend buying it. Beware… as the miles increase the repairs go up & I fortunately have a mechanic who’s also an Audi owner. He does quality work at a fair price. If not for him I would have sold my A6 long ago.
Suggested Improvements
V-6 needs more power (which was fixed on newer model years by changes in the transmission gearing, I think). Control arms & suspension components wear out too quickly. Need to use timing chains instead of timing belts (belts break, chains slip).