Used 1999 Audi A6 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Audi A6 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2.8 Avant quattro 2.8L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (32 reviews )

Pleasant Surprise
By Bob

1999 Audi A6 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

Lots of bang for the buck in mechanics, body, interior and creature comforts - and they all have worked with no trouble. No exterior noise at any speed, some gear noise at 35-45, handles precisely, always starts first time. Auto leveler works for any weight - up to cement bags and block filling rear. Designed and works for smooth driving; gas efficiency is great for heavy car when alert to traffic lights and with light foot on brake and gas pedals. Cruises without effort, and rpm to spare for passing. Roof rack needs better connectors/tie-down points + paint protection. Headlight washers/rear wiper and defroster all still work well. Stable in ice/snow/slush/mud. Wife loves heated seats!

No exterior or body noise. Load-leveler keeps headlights and handling consistent. Very stable on curves, rough pavement, sharp avoidance of potholes. Sound system works great. Wide seat adjustment range and comfortable. Excellent cargo space for overall size - better than most SUVs I've seen.

Plastic interior components flimsy. Get rid of rubber timing belt. Attention to rust protection at roof seams. Eliminate gear noise at 35-45. Cruise control more intuitive, with set and resume controls matching. Improve power/weight ratio with better fuel efficiency in stop-go conditions.

Best possible winter car
By Nelson

1999 Audi A6 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

I just purchased one of these last summer after my 1988 Jeep stopped working, and this has been a far superior Colorado winter vehicle than anything I've ever driven in the past, including an Explorer and my Jeep. The bad news: I have spent almost $4,000 in repairs since I bought it in June. The coolant fan tends to burn out on these around 90k miles, and I purchased mine at 93k. However it is now a solid car that I should at least get another 60- 70k miles out of. Don't purchase these if you can't afford the repair bills. However, if you can, these are some of the best. Winter safety was my primary reason for making this purchase, and it easily outperforms local favorites Subaru and Volvo.

V6 great for mountain driving, sunroof/moonroof is nice, excellent AWD and low center of gravity (perfect for icy conditions), lots of legroom front and rear, comfortable leather. Classy interior up front. Repair may be expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Other parts of the interior are cheap in quality. My rear hatch looks like it exploded on the inside. I don't think my heated seats work anymore. But, clearly these are first-world problems.

Costly to Own
By Robin

1999 Audi A6 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

Read before buying. I bought the car for dependability and I have been in the shop more than anyone I know with what people consider lesser cars. I have replaced all ball joints (twice over) and I do not drive hard, replaced rotors, breaks. The heated, tinted mirrors are peeling on one side. Some interior items just broke at a touch. Went thru a period of the car starting randomly, currently revisiting that problem again. The dash diplay fades out. The car had low mileage when I purchased it and had been maintained by the previous owners. Thanking myself for not selling my old car as it has been there for me when the Audi fails. I do not think I would buy one again, not impressed.

Heated seats are nice. When the car is working correctly it does ride very nice.

Better quality, dependable parts. Seems like you need a big pocket to own these cars.

Buyer beware
By mike

1999 Audi A6 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

Styling and roominess were my main considerations in buying this car. Others I considered were Volvo V70, MB 320/420 wgn, mazada 6 wgn. On test drive alone I prefered the Audi. AWD and long list of options were what clinched it. I thought I was stealing this thing at $8,500 two years ago with 73k miles on it. Similar MB or Volvo were well above $10,000. I soon leared that there are a long list of "common" problems with this vehicle. Off and on working of electronics is the most frustrating,of course everything worked when I test drove it. Other problems I've experienced are: ABS controller $500, upper control arms/tie rod replacement $1,000, oil leak $? Good luck when buying this car

All wheel drive, heated leather, biggest back seat in its class, 7- passenger seating. Bose sound system

The 2.8 V6 only gets about 20 mpg and although throttle respose is good it does not have enough power for this large, heavy vehicle. Opt for the 2.7 twin turbo or the 4.2L V8 offered in newer versions. You won't sacrifice much fuel economy and you'll get an extra 100-150 hp.

Owner's nightmare: mechanic's dream.
By OldScribe

1999 Audi A6 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought it with 68K miles two years ago. Also considered Volvo, Benz, and BMW. We liked the styling, test drive, features. Though it drove well/handled well in snow (rural NE PA), it experienced (beyone regular service) monthly mechanical difficulties involving engine (including replacement), genuine replacement parts, transmission, suspension, possessed/failing accessories, LED display, & electronics-based issues. In two years, purchased 3 sets of tires (including one set of Blizzaks), numerous modules, replacement engine, other engine parts. Spent average of $500/mo on repairs during ownership. Just traded it with 130,000 miles. Wife and I literally cried in joy after doing so.

Quattro w/Tiptronic totally rocks, though low clearance caused difficulties in snow. Heated and roomy backseats. When first bought, it ran well. The styling is appealing, but that was quickly negated by the numerous and persistant build-quality and reliability issues.

Audi should devise and institute a quality control program. Have owned high-mileage Toyota, Mazda, Nissan, BMW, and Volvo. Never experienced this many issues with any of them. In 32 yrs of driving, my worst automotive experience. Will never consider another Audi.