1999 Audi A6 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2.8 Avant quattro 2.8L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (32 reviews )
Pleasant Surprise
By Bob on 03/16/10 18:30 PM (PDT)

1999 Audi A6 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

Lots of bang for the buck in mechanics, body, interior and creature comforts - and they all have worked with no trouble. No exterior noise at any speed, some gear noise at 35-45, handles precisely, always starts first time. Auto leveler works for any weight - up to cement bags and block filling rear. Designed and works for smooth driving; gas efficiency is great for heavy car when alert to traffic lights and with light foot on brake and gas pedals. Cruises without effort, and rpm to spare for passing. Roof rack needs better connectors/tie-down points + paint protection. Headlight washers/rear wiper and defroster all still work well. Stable in ice/snow/slush/mud. Wife loves heated seats!

Best possible winter car
By Nelson on 03/08/09 15:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Audi A6 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

I just purchased one of these last summer after my 1988 Jeep stopped working, and this has been a far superior Colorado winter vehicle than anything I've ever driven in the past, including an Explorer and my Jeep. The bad news: I have spent almost $4,000 in repairs since I bought it in June. The coolant fan tends to burn out on these around 90k miles, and I purchased mine at 93k. However it is now a solid car that I should at least get another 60- 70k miles out of. Don't purchase these if you can't afford the repair bills. However, if you can, these are some of the best. Winter safety was my primary reason for making this purchase, and it easily outperforms local favorites Subaru and Volvo.

Costly to Own
By Robin on 11/21/08 14:58 PM (PST)

1999 Audi A6 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

Read before buying. I bought the car for dependability and I have been in the shop more than anyone I know with what people consider lesser cars. I have replaced all ball joints (twice over) and I do not drive hard, replaced rotors, breaks. The heated, tinted mirrors are peeling on one side. Some interior items just broke at a touch. Went thru a period of the car starting randomly, currently revisiting that problem again. The dash diplay fades out. The car had low mileage when I purchased it and had been maintained by the previous owners. Thanking myself for not selling my old car as it has been there for me when the Audi fails. I do not think I would buy one again, not impressed.

Buyer beware
By mike on 10/28/08 17:08 PM (PDT)

1999 Audi A6 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

Styling and roominess were my main considerations in buying this car. Others I considered were Volvo V70, MB 320/420 wgn, mazada 6 wgn. On test drive alone I prefered the Audi. AWD and long list of options were what clinched it. I thought I was stealing this thing at $8,500 two years ago with 73k miles on it. Similar MB or Volvo were well above $10,000. I soon leared that there are a long list of "common" problems with this vehicle. Off and on working of electronics is the most frustrating,of course everything worked when I test drove it. Other problems I've experienced are: ABS controller $500, upper control arms/tie rod replacement $1,000, oil leak $? Good luck when buying this car

Owner's nightmare: mechanic's dream.
By OldScribe on 06/01/08 02:44 AM (PDT)

1999 Audi A6 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought it with 68K miles two years ago. Also considered Volvo, Benz, and BMW. We liked the styling, test drive, features. Though it drove well/handled well in snow (rural NE PA), it experienced (beyone regular service) monthly mechanical difficulties involving engine (including replacement), genuine replacement parts, transmission, suspension, possessed/failing accessories, LED display, & electronics-based issues. In two years, purchased 3 sets of tires (including one set of Blizzaks), numerous modules, replacement engine, other engine parts. Spent average of $500/mo on repairs during ownership. Just traded it with 130,000 miles. Wife and I literally cried in joy after doing so.

One of the best wagons!
By Baraka on 04/10/08 12:51 PM (PDT)

1999 Audi A6 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

Purchased with 79K now has 98k.The only major replacement was the front suspension.This wears out prematurely but there was a recall on this.However it does not last typically as long as other cars',it is aluminum.Aftermarket suspension is better than OE. Acceleration is adequate but once on the highway maintains speed well.Maybe gearing meant for Autobahn and not 0- 60 times. Very comfortable. Driving habits will determine fuel consumption.Heavy right lead footed acceleration will move the weighty Avant, but will result in average/poor fuel consumption. Handling very good with 17" wheels.Heated steering whell and seats.Bose stereo and 6 CD changer handy. Buying decision was based on safety.

1999 Audi Wagon
By Shane on 03/11/07 14:58 PM (PDT)

1999 Audi A6 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

My wife got the car 10 days ago and she loves it!

Great all around family car
By kevin on 01/10/07 08:04 AM (PST)

1999 Audi A6 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

Make sure you do your homework. Buy an Audi that has been well maintained, and do regular maintenance. No one can believe that the car is 8 years old w/ over 100k on her. She looks and drives like new. We have had to do the control arms (11 piece set w/ tie rods were $400 + $250 labor), also put in Koni FDS shocks and the car rides BETTER than new. We have slowly been changing all the fluids (tranny, differentials) and this makes a BIG difference. We also switched to synthetic (0/40 Mobil1) oil, again with very good results. Audi comfort and interior quality is second to none.

Shocking good
By geo on 04/09/06 17:19 PM (PDT)

1999 Audi A6 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this 7 year old car on ebay 3 weeks ago. I did a lot of research including reading many of the reviews right here and I can tell you that so far, after just 3 weeks and just a completed 2000 mile trip, I am thrilled with this car. Bought in Philly and immediately drove up to mid coast Maine, almost 500 miles, this car drove effortlessly and was tight. The car had 106,000K on it and now has over 108 in just 3 weeks. The car was a one-owner and serviced at audi regularly, I checked, including the timing belt/water pump change ($1800 approx) at 95K. I was hoping that service had been performed but did not find out until after i purchased the car. So far so good, I am very happpy

At the Crossroads
By dan596 on 03/19/06 10:17 AM (PST)

1999 Audi A6 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

This car has fit the bill..mostly. We wanted a wagon for hauling stuff, AWD for New England weather, the comfort and quality of luxury car, and priced less that $25k (we bought used). We make regular cross NE trips with confidence and car leaves us refreshed, not tired. Four years later we're untimely faced with the cost of new brakes, new tires, expensive timing belt change, oil leak fix, repainting front bumper, and regular maintenance all at the same time. As with all VW/Audis I have owned they are plagued by electrical inconsistencies that we learn to live to enjoy the 'german' driving experience. So, the question is do invest $3K to fix and keep it or get $6-7k, maybe, on trade.