Used 1999 Audi A6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A6 model:

16 Years Strong
By sebago588

1999 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

We bought our 99 A6 Quattro in 2002 when it came off lease. I decided to buy Audi for its reputable Quattro performance and living in New Hampshire, the winters can be brutal. We still have this vehicle! It has had all the normal and expected maintenance done to it with a hefty price tag for all of it, but it is what you can expect with Audi as you would with BMW or Mercedes. Recently the last major job I had done was four new spring coils, joints and tie rod. It was done at a bargain of $3300. I decided to have it done only because I was impressed it took 16 years for the suspension to finally fail a state inspection. Also, these cars never rust. 133,000mi and plan for another 200,000.

Favorite Features

Quattro all wheel drive, Cold Weather package with rear ski sack and 4 variable heated seats with heated steering wheel, Bose Audi Concert 10 speaker audio system with self contained subwoofer, tiptronic shifting system and rear leg room is more than that of rival 5-Series or E Class.

Suggested Improvements

At this juncture it would bee a moot point. I have not seen a 2014 A6 yet but I'm sure I could point out several improvements Audi has already made for the little tank.

1999 A6 quattro
By iamrph68

1999 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Very good vehicle, but the repairs are expensive as the miles add up. I’ve had my A6 quattro for a little over 8 years & 150.000 miles. I bought the car with 47,000 miles & no problems until 98,000, then the serpentine belt tensioner broke. I went ahead a serviced the timing belt, water pump, etc. Later bought shocks from Germanautoparts.com & they are vastly superior to stock. The vehicle feels rock solid on the road and tracks straight with minimal input from the driver. Find yourself an Indie mechanic. I go to my local VW dealer for oil changes & some labor. VW parts are cheaper than Audi parts (SAME PARTS). Also, labor charge at Audi dealership is twice what VW dealer charges…Go figure.

Favorite Features

Quattro all-wheel drive is excellent in rain or snow. Heated seats are very comfortable and conform to my medium/large size body well. Bose stereo sounds crisp & clear. I like the the looks of the car. Even though it is 15 model years old this year (2014), it is still a good looking machine. I think the new Ford Taurus and one of the Kia models have the same basic outline of their bodies. If you can find one with less than 50,000 miles, I would recommend buying it. Beware… as the miles increase the repairs go up & I fortunately have a mechanic who’s also an Audi owner. He does quality work at a fair price. If not for him I would have sold my A6 long ago.

Suggested Improvements

V-6 needs more power (which was fixed on newer model years by changes in the transmission gearing, I think). Control arms & suspension components wear out too quickly. Need to use timing chains instead of timing belts (belts break, chains slip).

Germany's best production
By sebago588

1999 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

We love our A6. I purchased it used back in 2002 and still own it 10 years later. We have only had minor problems with it such as the tiptronic system not working (easy computer chip fix), replaced the water pump and had a smoke causing oil leak fixed. The Quattro AWD system cuts through the snow-packed New Hampshire and Maine roads like a knife through butter. We also have a Mercedes E320 4MATIC and by far, the Audi Quattro AWD system leaves the Mercedes buried (literally). We also found the front and rear seats more comfortable than MB, BMW. While the Quattro system does take from the acceleration a little bit, the car does respond quickly with a "press back in the seat" feel at high speed

Favorite Features

Quattro AWD, Bose-Audi Concert stereo, Front and Rear heated seats, heated steering wheel, ski/snowboard sack, red gauges at night, burled wood dash trim, quality of leather for a car that is now 13 years old, trunk space, fuel economy is around 30/mpg (when Premium is used), a/c that could freeze a meat locker.

Suggested Improvements

faster acceleration from stops, better quality plastics inside cabin i.e. cup holders (broken), improve the aerodynamics of the sunroof to rid it of that "thudding" air noise when opened.

My First Car
By blueeyedaisy3

1999 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

My Audi A6 was a great first car. It's a smooth, quiet ride. I got it used at 169,000 miles and it smoked sometimes after reaching it's destination. Also the car had problems with leaking oil. Mechanics commented that it looks like a tsunami down there! Both problems did not seem to effect the car from getting around. The oil problems do seem to be a common issue with the A6 though because after this audi was beat up by a deer, I looked into another audi A6 but its oil problems were even worse than the first.

Favorite Features

Interior/Exterior Looks; Compliments and Jealousy from friends :); AWD; Smooth Shifting from Automatic Transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the Oil problems associated with older Audi's.

Love it!
By denniss

1999 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought it this year and enjoy every minute of driving it consider it like an old friend that you trust your life to does use a lil bit of oil (151k) but the Audi dealer said it was natural. This is my 3rd Audi owned an A4 and 100. Quattro is great especially in the curves (which is only matched by my 944) The car is quick when I need it and I like the quality of the interior of using metal and real wood veneer whereas most cars have cheap fake wood. The only problem I found is that it gets very hot without the A/C on so hot that it fogs up my glasses in the summer

Favorite Features

interior The instrument panel lights are always on and info center on the dash and the radio cover