1999 Audi A6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A6 model:
16 Years Strong
By sebago588 on 09/04/14 06:54 AM (PDT)

1999 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

We bought our 99 A6 Quattro in 2002 when it came off lease. I decided to buy Audi for its reputable Quattro performance and living in New Hampshire, the winters can be brutal. We still have this vehicle! It has had all the normal and expected maintenance done to it with a hefty price tag for all of it, but it is what you can expect with Audi as you would with BMW or Mercedes. Recently the last major job I had done was four new spring coils, joints and tie rod. It was done at a bargain of $3300. I decided to have it done only because I was impressed it took 16 years for the suspension to finally fail a state inspection. Also, these cars never rust. 133,000mi and plan for another 200,000.

1999 A6 quattro
By iamrph68 on 01/18/14 16:01 PM (PST)

1999 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Very good vehicle, but the repairs are expensive as the miles add up. I’ve had my A6 quattro for a little over 8 years & 150.000 miles. I bought the car with 47,000 miles & no problems until 98,000, then the serpentine belt tensioner broke. I went ahead a serviced the timing belt, water pump, etc. Later bought shocks from Germanautoparts.com & they are vastly superior to stock. The vehicle feels rock solid on the road and tracks straight with minimal input from the driver. Find yourself an Indie mechanic. I go to my local VW dealer for oil changes & some labor. VW parts are cheaper than Audi parts (SAME PARTS). Also, labor charge at Audi dealership is twice what VW dealer charges…Go figure.

Germany's best production
By sebago588 on 11/23/12 13:55 PM (PST)

1999 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

We love our A6. I purchased it used back in 2002 and still own it 10 years later. We have only had minor problems with it such as the tiptronic system not working (easy computer chip fix), replaced the water pump and had a smoke causing oil leak fixed. The Quattro AWD system cuts through the snow-packed New Hampshire and Maine roads like a knife through butter. We also have a Mercedes E320 4MATIC and by far, the Audi Quattro AWD system leaves the Mercedes buried (literally). We also found the front and rear seats more comfortable than MB, BMW. While the Quattro system does take from the acceleration a little bit, the car does respond quickly with a "press back in the seat" feel at high speed

My First Car
By blueeyedaisy3 on 05/04/12 12:40 PM (PDT)

1999 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

My Audi A6 was a great first car. It's a smooth, quiet ride. I got it used at 169,000 miles and it smoked sometimes after reaching it's destination. Also the car had problems with leaking oil. Mechanics commented that it looks like a tsunami down there! Both problems did not seem to effect the car from getting around. The oil problems do seem to be a common issue with the A6 though because after this audi was beat up by a deer, I looked into another audi A6 but its oil problems were even worse than the first.

Love it!
By denniss on 09/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought it this year and enjoy every minute of driving it consider it like an old friend that you trust your life to does use a lil bit of oil (151k) but the Audi dealer said it was natural. This is my 3rd Audi owned an A4 and 100. Quattro is great especially in the curves (which is only matched by my 944) The car is quick when I need it and I like the quality of the interior of using metal and real wood veneer whereas most cars have cheap fake wood. The only problem I found is that it gets very hot without the A/C on so hot that it fogs up my glasses in the summer

Excellent vehicle
By Pitt05 on 03/26/10 20:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Audi A6 2.8 4dr Sedan

This is my second 1999 Audi A6. Both cars have proven to be very durable. Each car had the same minor issues, ie: broken mirror adjust switch, et cetera. (easy fixes) The build quality is top level, classic styling , decent power, and unstoppable in any weather. I have done most of the things people complain about in their reviews, but they don't seem to understand its routine maintenance, control arms, timing belts, and others. That being said, if you maintain a car like this properly, it will last a very long time. Owning a high end German car is a commitment (but ultimately very rewarding) , if your not willing to pay, get a generic Japanese luxury car, what a tool you'll look.

Pleasant Surprise
By Bob on 03/16/10 18:30 PM (PDT)

1999 Audi A6 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

Lots of bang for the buck in mechanics, body, interior and creature comforts - and they all have worked with no trouble. No exterior noise at any speed, some gear noise at 35-45, handles precisely, always starts first time. Auto leveler works for any weight - up to cement bags and block filling rear. Designed and works for smooth driving; gas efficiency is great for heavy car when alert to traffic lights and with light foot on brake and gas pedals. Cruises without effort, and rpm to spare for passing. Roof rack needs better connectors/tie-down points + paint protection. Headlight washers/rear wiper and defroster all still work well. Stable in ice/snow/slush/mud. Wife loves heated seats!

Winter Use Only
By WinterUse on 12/11/09 11:40 AM (PST)

1999 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

High maintenance vehicle that is a great winter car, unfortunately the consistent repair issues take away from an otherwise great vehicle. Wife uses car in the winter during snow season and works great for that but the reliability issues do take away from the car. With only 114k miles on it these types of issues should not happen.

It's pretty...pretty expensive to own
By autumn on 07/31/09 16:33 PM (PDT)

1999 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I loved everything about this car, except for the true cost of ownership. I owned it for two years, and put $1000/year into maintenance. Water pump $600, Power window $400, etc. It had tons of room in cab and trunk, and lots of quality and style. Watch out for the stereo, though. If you change the battery, or there's a short, the stero locks up and you need a code to unlock it - which'll cost you $75 if you don't know it. And if you want to upgrade the stereo, you have to replace EVERYTHING (deck, speakers, wires). I loved it as long as I could afford it, but I won't buy another. P.S. make sure to get an owner's manual

What a piece of junk!
By cdubya on 03/12/09 10:45 AM (PDT)

1999 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Looks ok, handles ok... it is gutless off the line. Endless problems, the Yugo I had in college had better reliability. Leaks oil - dealer can't find the cause, engine smokes from oil leak. Eats brake pads and tires. This is NOT a supposed luxury car... I now know its a step or two below most American made cars and nowhere near a well built, reliable Japanese vehicle. My ego said buy it, my brain said,"NO" - well the ego won and now I'm paying. What a piece of junk! You fooled me once never again... back to the 4Runner. Which was only good to me.