Wow! Nice Car!
By NMiller on
1997 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Wagon AWD
I picked up my 1997 Audi A6 with 93,000 miles on it. I changed the timing belt and water pump (now ready for 75,000 more miles or whatever Audi recommends), rear calipers (hand brake portion rusted), popped in 6 CDs in the CD changer, and thats it. The sun roof needs to be rebuilt ($500), but it works OK if you don't go all the way to the rear. This car screams in snow! Wow! I went over 105,000 miles on recent trip to the Appalichian Mountains, got a flat tire, and didn't even know it on the hard turns, etc., for about 25 miles (not recommended). Afterwords, the tire was ok. Highly recommend HS Michelin all season tires. They are a great match!
Favorite Features
I love the interior design, sound system, first class comfort (we drove 850 miles in one day), interesting cup holder (but all you do is lift the arm rest and it works well). The transmission adapts to your driving stlye, so you can go easy and get better mileage.
Suggested Improvements
Hard to improve on this one, although the cup holder is a little interesting. The transmission shift mode reflects how you've been driving. Drive hard, it shifts sooner, etc. It can be a little slugish in "granny mode" until you remember to punch it harder. Then look out.