1997 Audi A6 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A6 model:
1997 A6 Quattro
By gmm2 on 10/04/14 10:06 AM (PDT)

1997 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Great car, I bought it used 6 years ago as the "kids car" but use it as mine now that they are out of the house (I drive back and forth to the commuter rail station), its great in snow and I have a very steep & difficult New England driveway and the Audi always gets up there, its really comfortable, this is the second A6 version I've owned (the first was the first kids car was the wagon version, but I had to get rid of it at 200K miles); this one only has 100K so I hope to keep it a long while, its really durable and looks almost new for a 18 year old car, I miss having a wagon thoughÂ…it doesn't move all that fast, but neither do i.

The Real Audi
By buyer4future on 03/30/13 09:59 AM (PDT)

1997 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought my A6 Quattro new and now it gained over 200K of mileage and still going strong. The weather changed its states unpredictably but my A6 didnt change a bit of its performance. I have now owned another Audi (S7 Sportback) and since the first, I have not looked at other German made brand. "Truth in Engineering", that's right.

Gotta Get One
By Ron Kirk on 03/26/09 10:25 AM (PDT)

1997 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I was lucky to find this car(2.8L Quattro), I brought it with 215,000miles on it. Had to replace the engine($1500). Now it runs like a champ. I baby it, but if you see me at a red light, she can get up. Its an over all great car performance and comfort wise. Gas mileage can be better but it's still overall a great car to own. So if you don't have one "YOU NEED TO GET LIKE ME"

1997 Audi A6 Review
By Al Strohmaier on 06/29/06 13:17 PM (PDT)

1997 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This has been the best car I have ever owned. I live in NE Ohio in "snow belt" country, and the A6 eats snow and ice and slush as well as my F-250 4x4. I don't get tired driving it, whether it's my short commute or occasional multi-hour trip. Great ergonomics. I'm a car nut, and every time I think about buying a new car I hold it up to the A6 for comparability. Most are found wanting. New Audis aren't cheap, but my experience with the car makes me want to look at low-mileaged used A6s for $27k rather than purchase a new Honda Accord or Toyota Camry with a lot of their bells and whistles.

Buy a USED Audi
By rchopee on 02/17/06 14:05 PM (PST)

1997 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought a 1997 Audi A6 with 70,000 miles about 3 years ago for $13000 CDN. It needed a steering rack when I bought it. Since that time I replaced the catalytic converters, ignition switch and brakes and tires. Probably 1500.00 average for repairs. It runs great and if you do the math, it is the only way to buy a safe luxury car. I absolutely love it. About a year ago I was rear ended. The other car had to be towed away, and I had a small licence plate mark in the paint. Id buy another Audi in an instant.

Good Car
By Peadar on 02/08/06 17:34 PM (PST)

1997 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I just sold my A6--I had it for 2 years exactly. It was amazing in the snow and made wet roads seem dry. This was by far the best feature of the car. It was very comfortable (seating and ride), more so than most BMWs I've driven. The main reason I got tired of this car was it's lack of power. I mean it's not slow but you have to floor it to take a camry at a stoplight. Handling is good. The fact that I could not have a cd changer or deck installed really irritated me--the only way you can listen to cd's is buying a FM modulator ($250). Bottom line is it's a kinda boring car. Thats why I got a 3-series now.

1997 Audi A6 Quattro
By burnedByAudi on 04/26/05 14:22 PM (PDT)

1997 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Every car has lemons so take this review for what it is. See suggested improvements for electrical problems. My 1997 Audi A6 quattro Sedan drives smoothly and has moderate to good acceleration at highway speeds (none to speak of off the line -- low end torque simply isnt there). The steering is unrivaled compared to all other cars I've driven, if only there wasn't this nagging hydrolic problem every winter that makes a very loud noise and stiffens the power steering. Unfortunately I cannot recommend this car. I don't like it and it ended up costing me a great deal of money in the end.

All about the Design
By Daniel V. Payer on 12/20/04 04:46 AM (PST)

1997 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

The two main reasons I picked my '97 Audi A6 were its AWD and the exterior design. I live in Idaho and like to ski. This car goes up the mountains with no problem. And looks great downtown. I didn't like the look of the 1998 models coming out. The '97 A6 is flatter, not so rounded like every other car on the market. More like a race car. The exterior design was what really excited me about the car. Oh, and the black color. Very cool.

Take care of it & it'll take care of U
By Bavariandream on 07/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

The A6 (C4 platform) is a great value, when purchased used. Mine is a high mileage car (127K) and it still runs and looks like (almost) new. Keep in mind that it needs some preventative care (not just the regular oil change) in order to keep it running flawlessly. Timing belt (yes belt, not a chain like most Beemers) need to be replaced every 60-75k. While doing this you should also replace the water pump, because it'll break down at some point, and this will save you a lot of $$$$. Check and top off the differential/tansaxle fluids twice a year. Wear and tear repairs done: Front wheel bearing, front CV boot, timing belt and water pump, differential seal.

Quattro
By Fs2 on 01/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

The 1997 Audi a6 is a weather monster perform perfect with the "Quattro" awd system and no 1 can do it better than audi. Has a great fight at the red line