1997 Audi A6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A6 model:
The Real Audi
By buyer4future on 03/30/13 09:59 AM (PDT)

1997 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought my A6 Quattro new and now it gained over 200K of mileage and still going strong. The weather changed its states unpredictably but my A6 didnt change a bit of its performance. I have now owned another Audi (S7 Sportback) and since the first, I have not looked at other German made brand. "Truth in Engineering", that's right.

Gotta Get One
By Ron Kirk on 03/26/09 10:25 AM (PDT)

1997 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I was lucky to find this car(2.8L Quattro), I brought it with 215,000miles on it. Had to replace the engine($1500). Now it runs like a champ. I baby it, but if you see me at a red light, she can get up. Its an over all great car performance and comfort wise. Gas mileage can be better but it's still overall a great car to own. So if you don't have one "YOU NEED TO GET LIKE ME"

Better than any SUV or CUV built!
By David Erv on 12/19/08 16:57 PM (PST)

1997 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

This sucker is the best car ever for Wisconsin winter driving. My bride would be lost without the Quattro technology driving to work at 5 am. This machine handles in snow like a snowmobile. No cotton-pickin lousey SUV can do it better unless perhaps it happens to be yet another Audi. I am dumping my GMC 4WD Suburban to get another Audi Quattro Avant!

1997 Audi A6 Review
By Al Strohmaier on 06/29/06 13:17 PM (PDT)

1997 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This has been the best car I have ever owned. I live in NE Ohio in "snow belt" country, and the A6 eats snow and ice and slush as well as my F-250 4x4. I don't get tired driving it, whether it's my short commute or occasional multi-hour trip. Great ergonomics. I'm a car nut, and every time I think about buying a new car I hold it up to the A6 for comparability. Most are found wanting. New Audis aren't cheap, but my experience with the car makes me want to look at low-mileaged used A6s for $27k rather than purchase a new Honda Accord or Toyota Camry with a lot of their bells and whistles.

Tank Solid Reliable Luxury
By anonmartin on 02/26/06 16:40 PM (PST)

1997 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

We've been very pleased at the quality and reliability of this Avant quattro. In silver, it looks fantastic. Audi/VW had relied on this 12V V6 motor for several of its platforms, and after living with it, and having no problems at all, I can see why. At 172 bhp, it is a little under-powered, but does great at speed. Leather interior holds up well if regularly treated. Quattro drive grips the road, dry, wet, or in ice and snow. We drove through a blizzard up a mountain and were passing some SUVs that were struggling. The pop-up rear-facing seats work great for our small kids and cousins, plus, they love riding back there. Interior cargo room is pretty good with rear seats folded down.

Buy a USED Audi
By rchopee on 02/17/06 14:05 PM (PST)

1997 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought a 1997 Audi A6 with 70,000 miles about 3 years ago for $13000 CDN. It needed a steering rack when I bought it. Since that time I replaced the catalytic converters, ignition switch and brakes and tires. Probably 1500.00 average for repairs. It runs great and if you do the math, it is the only way to buy a safe luxury car. I absolutely love it. About a year ago I was rear ended. The other car had to be towed away, and I had a small licence plate mark in the paint. Id buy another Audi in an instant.

Good Car
By Peadar on 02/08/06 17:34 PM (PST)

1997 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I just sold my A6--I had it for 2 years exactly. It was amazing in the snow and made wet roads seem dry. This was by far the best feature of the car. It was very comfortable (seating and ride), more so than most BMWs I've driven. The main reason I got tired of this car was it's lack of power. I mean it's not slow but you have to floor it to take a camry at a stoplight. Handling is good. The fact that I could not have a cd changer or deck installed really irritated me--the only way you can listen to cd's is buying a FM modulator ($250). Bottom line is it's a kinda boring car. Thats why I got a 3-series now.

1997 Audi A6 Quattro
By burnedByAudi on 04/26/05 14:22 PM (PDT)

1997 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Every car has lemons so take this review for what it is. See suggested improvements for electrical problems. My 1997 Audi A6 quattro Sedan drives smoothly and has moderate to good acceleration at highway speeds (none to speak of off the line -- low end torque simply isnt there). The steering is unrivaled compared to all other cars I've driven, if only there wasn't this nagging hydrolic problem every winter that makes a very loud noise and stiffens the power steering. Unfortunately I cannot recommend this car. I don't like it and it ended up costing me a great deal of money in the end.

Wow! Nice Car!
By NMiller on 02/09/05 13:05 PM (PST)

1997 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

I picked up my 1997 Audi A6 with 93,000 miles on it. I changed the timing belt and water pump (now ready for 75,000 more miles or whatever Audi recommends), rear calipers (hand brake portion rusted), popped in 6 CDs in the CD changer, and thats it. The sun roof needs to be rebuilt ($500), but it works OK if you don't go all the way to the rear. This car screams in snow! Wow! I went over 105,000 miles on recent trip to the Appalichian Mountains, got a flat tire, and didn't even know it on the hard turns, etc., for about 25 miles (not recommended). Afterwords, the tire was ok. Highly recommend HS Michelin all season tires. They are a great match!

All about the Design
By Daniel V. Payer on 12/20/04 04:46 AM (PST)

1997 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

The two main reasons I picked my '97 Audi A6 were its AWD and the exterior design. I live in Idaho and like to ski. This car goes up the mountains with no problem. And looks great downtown. I didn't like the look of the 1998 models coming out. The '97 A6 is flatter, not so rounded like every other car on the market. More like a race car. The exterior design was what really excited me about the car. Oh, and the black color. Very cool.