Used 1997 Audi A6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A6 model:

1997 A6 Quattro
By gmm2

1997 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Great car, I bought it used 6 years ago as the "kids car" but use it as mine now that they are out of the house (I drive back and forth to the commuter rail station), its great in snow and I have a very steep & difficult New England driveway and the Audi always gets up there, its really comfortable, this is the second A6 version I've owned (the first was the first kids car was the wagon version, but I had to get rid of it at 200K miles); this one only has 100K so I hope to keep it a long while, its really durable and looks almost new for a 18 year old car, I miss having a wagon thoughÂ…it doesn't move all that fast, but neither do i.

Favorite Features

AWD heavy leather upholstery quality materials no rust at all after 18 years

Suggested Improvements

little bit more power, but slow on the highway for a 6

The Real Audi
By buyer4future

1997 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought my A6 Quattro new and now it gained over 200K of mileage and still going strong. The weather changed its states unpredictably but my A6 didnt change a bit of its performance. I have now owned another Audi (S7 Sportback) and since the first, I have not looked at other German made brand. "Truth in Engineering", that's right.

Favorite Features

Of course, Audi invented and famous 4WD is my favorite feature among others like solid built, reliabilities. One thing about Audi that I considered a positive (others consider negative) is the difficulty to find after market parts. That's make any after market parts that fits and work to be genuine. It's a challenge to pimp or mod an Audi, and it's also a fun thing to do.

Gotta Get One
By Ron Kirk

1997 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I was lucky to find this car(2.8L Quattro), I brought it with 215,000miles on it. Had to replace the engine($1500). Now it runs like a champ. I baby it, but if you see me at a red light, she can get up. Its an over all great car performance and comfort wise. Gas mileage can be better but it's still overall a great car to own. So if you don't have one "YOU NEED TO GET LIKE ME"

Favorite Features

The sound system is great, the leather interior, with heated seats. I love the one touch windows buttons.

Suggested Improvements

More horse power, better placement for the cup holders, a better arm rest for the driver.

Better than any SUV or CUV built!
By David Erv

1997 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

This sucker is the best car ever for Wisconsin winter driving. My bride would be lost without the Quattro technology driving to work at 5 am. This machine handles in snow like a snowmobile. No cotton-pickin lousey SUV can do it better unless perhaps it happens to be yet another Audi. I am dumping my GMC 4WD Suburban to get another Audi Quattro Avant!

Favorite Features

Quattro all-wheel drive. Secure feeling when on the road. Items and features work as they should. Awesome.

Suggested Improvements

More HP at the wheels. Better dome lamps. Could be a little larger.

1997 Audi A6 Review
By Al Strohmaier

1997 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This has been the best car I have ever owned. I live in NE Ohio in "snow belt" country, and the A6 eats snow and ice and slush as well as my F-250 4x4. I don't get tired driving it, whether it's my short commute or occasional multi-hour trip. Great ergonomics. I'm a car nut, and every time I think about buying a new car I hold it up to the A6 for comparability. Most are found wanting. New Audis aren't cheap, but my experience with the car makes me want to look at low-mileaged used A6s for $27k rather than purchase a new Honda Accord or Toyota Camry with a lot of their bells and whistles.

Favorite Features

Still quiet at 87,000 miles and nine years old. Still good-looking and metallic green paint excellent. Dash has always been big favorite of mine, too. Love it at night.