1996 Audi A6 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A6 model:
300K Miles and Still Going
By milo65 on 01/25/12 11:13 AM (PST)

1996 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Well maintained and still running! Timing belt every 90K, heating core at 280K, otherwise just brakes, belts, and tires.

Great well rounded car
By MKrenz on 01/27/09 02:07 AM (PST)

1996 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I would admit the car is a little heavy for the 2.8 v6 and the 4 speed automatic tranny doesn't help, but I have had a lot of fun with this car(I can drift and do donuts all day in an snowy parking lot). Unlike other AWD cars the rear wheels have power all the time which means a lot of fun, the quattro is excellent for my Ice rink of a drive way, and provides confidence going into corners. I get decent gas mileage about 22 average which isn't bad for a v6 AWD luxury car that is 12 years old. although I've added two 10" subs the stock sound system is great. The ride is pretty good although it can get a little bumper on broken up roads and the seats are adequate.

Great car to drive
By Andy on 05/23/08 19:34 PM (PDT)

1996 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Great highway car. It is really easy to drive and feel comfortable even at higher speeds. I've owned since new and have a hard time finding cars I like driving better. Reliability has been only average. Torque sweet spot is very narrow at 3000rpm. Transmission is dumb so power is not delivered often when it should. Fwy entrances can be stressful because at just that speed ~50mph, it wants to upshift and forfeit all torque right when you need it. At speed ~65mph, fwy accel is very good.

Confidence of a Tank
By Thomas on 10/13/05 20:02 PM (PDT)

1996 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought this car from original owner with 89,500 miles on the odometer. So far all I have done to it in the past 10,000 miles is change the oil once, and change the timing belt.(Recommended every 90,000 miles.) So far car has averaged as much as 26 mpg highway - and as low as 16 mpg city. Very pleased with quattro drive in all types of weather. Would recommend.

A real runner
By d.fuz on 12/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Purchased this car with 96,000 miles. Now with nearly 225,000 it still runs very dependably, handles mountain roads daily, and produces not a single rattle nor squeak anywhere in this car. Yes, it is getting long in the tooth and some shocks were repalced as well as a transmission seal and a few interior switches have broken but the engine has been flawless. It drives comfortably, firmly & with authority on mountain roads. Climate control system is needing work; again electricals. I spend 6-10 hours a day in the car as it serves as my office. I got a good one!

Great Car
By 1Car on 02/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This car is a lot of fun to drive. It's very roomy, and it has everything anyone would need in a car. There are only a few things I don't like about it, but overall, it is a very nice car.

4 wheel driftin'
By Brandon F1 on 01/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Audi's are great, fun in the rain, snow, anytime.

German quality....but
By Need2Speed on 11/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Superb vehicle if you live in the north were winther is an issue of getting around or not. The Quattro system is the world's best real-time all wheel drive system, expect high maintenance price and do not buy an Audi without warranty. Built quality interior and exterior is very high compared to domestics.