Used 1996 Audi A6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Audi A6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A6 model:
300K Miles and Still Going
By milo65 on 01/25/12 11:13 AM (PST)

1996 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Well maintained and still running! Timing belt every 90K, heating core at 280K, otherwise just brakes, belts, and tires.

2nd owner
By PEDROMADISON on 09/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

I purchased this vehicle at an insurance auction, the previous owner purchased it new in 1996 and only put on 8000 miles a year. The vehicle still drives and behaves like it is new. It has perfect get up and go, stereo system sounds amazing and seats are very comfortable on long drives. I do not like that the 1995 model had a recall for the ignition and even though the 1996 does the same exact thing it has not been recalled. Other than that the car is amazing in the snow and ice and just a very amazing car, i now have 124,000 miles on the vehicle and do not want to get rid of it. I would like to buy another Audi, maybe a convertible this time.

Great well rounded car
By MKrenz on 01/27/09 02:07 AM (PST)

1996 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I would admit the car is a little heavy for the 2.8 v6 and the 4 speed automatic tranny doesn't help, but I have had a lot of fun with this car(I can drift and do donuts all day in an snowy parking lot). Unlike other AWD cars the rear wheels have power all the time which means a lot of fun, the quattro is excellent for my Ice rink of a drive way, and provides confidence going into corners. I get decent gas mileage about 22 average which isn't bad for a v6 AWD luxury car that is 12 years old. although I've added two 10" subs the stock sound system is great. The ride is pretty good although it can get a little bumper on broken up roads and the seats are adequate.

Great car to drive
By Andy on 05/23/08 19:34 PM (PDT)

1996 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Great highway car. It is really easy to drive and feel comfortable even at higher speeds. I've owned since new and have a hard time finding cars I like driving better. Reliability has been only average. Torque sweet spot is very narrow at 3000rpm. Transmission is dumb so power is not delivered often when it should. Fwy entrances can be stressful because at just that speed ~50mph, it wants to upshift and forfeit all torque right when you need it. At speed ~65mph, fwy accel is very good.

I love my AWD A6 Wagon
By TRW on 08/09/06 09:43 AM (PDT)

1996 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

My first Audi was a 1987 Audi Coupe manual transmission and I loved it for 7 years when I sold it. I bought the 1996 Audi in 2000 with 48k miles on it and have had a great experience with it. The cars loves the snow and can get me anywhere in any kind of weather. I can pack all my family of 6 in the car easily with the help of the back-facing rear seat. The car is very peppy and very fun to drive. The interior design is beautiful with its red lighted gauges. The only trouble we had was with the Audi CD player that didn't survive long after we had it installed by Audi. Enjoy the ride!

Confidence of a Tank
By Thomas on 10/13/05 20:02 PM (PDT)

1996 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought this car from original owner with 89,500 miles on the odometer. So far all I have done to it in the past 10,000 miles is change the oil once, and change the timing belt.(Recommended every 90,000 miles.) So far car has averaged as much as 26 mpg highway - and as low as 16 mpg city. Very pleased with quattro drive in all types of weather. Would recommend.

A real runner
By d.fuz on 12/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Purchased this car with 96,000 miles. Now with nearly 225,000 it still runs very dependably, handles mountain roads daily, and produces not a single rattle nor squeak anywhere in this car. Yes, it is getting long in the tooth and some shocks were repalced as well as a transmission seal and a few interior switches have broken but the engine has been flawless. It drives comfortably, firmly & with authority on mountain roads. Climate control system is needing work; again electricals. I spend 6-10 hours a day in the car as it serves as my office. I got a good one!

Great Wagon
By only1sam on 07/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

Exceptional deal at 10,000 cash and 31,000 miles on odometer. Receiving poor gas mileage, but rest of vehicle is fantastic. A tad bit slow for todays driving.

A6 Nice Daily Driver
By MissmyAudiGT on 05/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Audi A6 2.8 4dr Sedan

Nice daily driver / commuter car. Nice steady feel, similar to much heavier & larger 96 BMW 740i (except less power). Although car was purchased w/ 87K mi, still performs as new. Excellent acceleration response between 50 - 85 mph range.

Great Car
By 1Car on 02/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Audi A6 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This car is a lot of fun to drive. It's very roomy, and it has everything anyone would need in a car. There are only a few things I don't like about it, but overall, it is a very nice car.